Hi,

I'm considering buying an epi dot, but I want to know just how much gain it can take?

I'm more into big epic distortion, not scoopy mid metal.

Think Muse, Sigur Ros, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
i wouldnt call muse Big Epic Distortion users.

but they can tke as much as you give them but after overdrive i dont think it sounds too good
semi's are fine with gain since they have a center block, its full hollows and acoustics you have to watch out with.
A decent semi-hollow should be able to handle the sort of distortions your talking about. Can also help you get musical feedback too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Too much gain will give feedback, but for hard rock they can sound pretty great with high gain. Bands like the Foo Fighters are rather fond of using hollow-bodied guitars; and of course Malcolm Young of AC/DC has always used a hollowbody Gretsch.
pedricko, my m8 has a epi dot and with high gain it sounds AMAZING just epic like you said, i havnt played it too much but it sounds er...... nice.

In fact, out of all the levels of distortion weve use with it , the high gain for me cant be touched.
QOTSA, nuff said, he used the Dot and although not high gain it's hard rock level IMHO..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
i have a vintage Egmond 335 style guitar and its all hollow. feedbacks like a *****.

i have seen plenty "distortion" bands use semi's without trouble tho. Troy Van Leuveen(?), Wes Borland and Tom DeLonge all have signature semis and they use quite a lot of distortion, probably not Delonge so much nowadays....he gets his brown sound sticking his head up his arse OOOOHHHHHHHH
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX