So i decided a few days ago to learn Marty Friedman's solo in the song "Foreclosure of a Dream". It's one of my favorite solos, and it's also one of the few intermediate Friedman solos (the ones that aren't ridiculously hard are pretty easy). I normally don't learn other peoples' solos note for note, but i am in this case. Anyway, I've broken the solo into three different sections. I decided to start each section at 70 bpm, and gradually work up until it gets to the point where i can't keep up. The next day that I practice it, I start at 75 bpm, 80 bpm the day after that, and so on until I get to the actual speed (about 138 bpm). I figured out that it'll take me about 30 days of practice to learn this if I am able to keep with it. Does this seem excessive? I've never spent that long working on one thing, but I figure if I'm not going for this with 110% I'm just wasting my time..
Well it isnt just for this song your learning it, its for every song your ability to play faster will have increased..If you wanna work at it..
Quote by Spamwise
I normally don't learn other peoples' solos note for note

Just out of curiosity .... why?

As far as how your going about learning it. I think maybe your taking an overly calculated approach. using the metronome is ofcourse beneficial, but to learn something like this its not necesarry to gauge every step of the process with a metronome. Just learn the thing... practice it until you can play it. Yeah, take it slower at 1st... but it doesnt have to be at any exact metronome setting.... (again not saying you shouldnt practice it to a metronome.... you defintaly should) I think its just an overly anal approach IMO.
shred is gaudy music
I've been working on stuff for longer than that and I still haven't gotten it
Quote by GuitarMunky
Just out of curiosity .... why?

As far as how your going about learning it. I think maybe your taking an overly calculated approach. using the metronome is ofcourse beneficial, but to learn something like this its not necesarry to gauge every step of the process with a metronome. Just learn the thing... practice it until you can play it. Yeah, take it slower at 1st... but it doesnt have to be at any exact metronome setting.... (again not saying you shouldnt practice it to a metronome.... you defintaly should) I think its just an overly anal approach IMO.

I learn solos note for note when you can tell they've been well thought out (hotel california, comfortably numb, etc), but on most solos I write my own solo and also incorporate licks from the original. i don't know why, but that's just how I am I guess.

well yeah, but I use a metronome also so I can actually see my improvement and see how far left I have to go.
It would be more reasonable to play it at a slow BPM where you make no mistakes for like a week. That way the muscle memory of your fingers will know the correct way to play it, and you will be able to speed it up alot more than 5 BMP a day. If you do it by 5 BPM a day, you can't guarantee if your fingers will have become conditioned to play the piece with the correct technique, and you might just be speeding up your mistakes by 5 BPM's a day, and you won't get anywhere.
12 fret fury
Quote by Spamwise
I learn solos note for note when you can tell they've been well thought out (hotel california, comfortably numb, etc), but on most solos I write my own solo and also incorporate licks from the original. i don't know why, but that's just how I am I guess.

well yeah, but I use a metronome also so I can actually see my improvement and see how far left I have to go.

Thats cool. I would suggest learning more solos note for note. It doesnt matter if they have been planned out. There are some excellent improvised solos. There is alot to be learned from copying solos note for note. Tone, feel, phrasing.... plus all the technical aspects.

I know alot of people avoid learning "other peoples solos" because they think it will make them less original.... hopefully you dont subscribe to that myth.

As far as the metronome.... its a great idea.... I just think you may be overdoing it.

IMO if you can get it down at a slow speed. You may not need to practice at every increment in between. Once you have it memorized and can play it all the way through at a slow tempo. I would try it at normal speed. If you cant play it there yet.... go back only a few clicks and find where you can play it comfortably. Then work your way up from there.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 8, 2007,
You method is effective, but don't get frustrated if you don't make it within 30 days. The important thing, is that every week you have improve some, no matter how much.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by GuitarMunky
Thats cool. I would suggest learning more solos note for note. It doesnt matter if they have been planned out. There are some excellent improvised solos. There is alot to be learned from copying solos note for note. Tone, feel, phrasing.... plus all the technical aspects.

I know alot of people avoid learning "other peoples solos" because they think it will make them less original.... hopefully you dont subscribe to that myth.

As far as the metronome.... its a great idea.... I just think you may be overdoing it.

IMO if you can get it down at a slow speed. You may not need to practice at every increment in between. Once you have it memorized and can play it all the way through at a slow tempo. I would try it at normal speed. If you cant play it there yet.... go back only a few clicks and find where you can play it comfortably. Then work your way up from there.

yeah you're right that's totally untrue. I just like to add my own signature to songs i guess.

yeah that's true. I can play the first section pretty well a few BPM under the actual speed after I spend a half hour working it up, but my goal is to get it to where I don't have to work up to that speed.
Quote by GuitarMunky

actually, i think i'm going to try that. i have it up to 90 bpm now, so I'll just work on that for the next couple days, and then I'll try it at full speed.