(yes i know it's vibrato and not tremolo but it's the clearest way say everything)
I've been abusing the whammy on my strat lately , and now i start to notice a moaning (don't know if that's the right word) sound when i unscrew my tremolo bar.
i also noticed that the tremolo is bent at the place that screws into the block.
now, my question is: can tremolo abuse screw either the tremolo block or the whammy bar up ?

thanks
It's hard to screw up the block itself (technically) but it's not uncommon to snap the trem arm while using it. The arm is weak right where the threads end on the part that goes into the block, kind of a design flaw (Callaham's website talks about this). If the arm is bent them I would get a new one rather than risk being stuck with a block where you can't get the remaining chunk of the trem arm out should the thing snap while you're using it. So yes, you can screw it up, the block won't break but it will be useless as a trem if there's a chunk of trem arm left in there. Getting the remaining chunk of the arm out of the trem could either be difficult or expensive should you need to get a new one if it's just too hard to get out.
Last edited by Comfortablylomb at Dec 8, 2007,
i dont know anything about a tremlo personally but i say take it to like a guitar center or something and ask them either to fix it or what the hell is goning on... thats what i would do

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
Quote by The red Strat.
but i couldn't screw to threads of the trem block up because of whammy abuse ?

If the trem arm snaps it could snap in a place where you couldn't get the remaining chunk of it out. Whether or not threads do or don't get screwed up wouldn't matter at that point, there would be a chunk of metal in there preventing a new arm from going in. You said it's bent now, I don't know how badly but it's worth worrying about it's integrity at this point. Get a new arm, they're cheap enough. Also, I don't know what your local GC is like but I wouldn't trust anyone at the one near me to know what's what.

Edit - You can read a little bit about Strat blocks/trems http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm . Callaham has a few things to say about the design. I think most of it is just sales pitch but it really isn't unheard of for an arm to snap.
Last edited by Comfortablylomb at Dec 8, 2007,
it really isn't bent badly, just a bit. not enough to start worrying about snapping it off
i'll get a new one if it gets worse.

so whammy abuse can't screw the threads up ?
Quote by The red Strat.
it really isn't bent badly, just a bit. not enough to start worrying about snapping it off
i'll get a new one if it gets worse.

so whammy abuse can't screw the threads up ?

It shouldn't unless you're slamming the heck out of it. The Strat trem is NOT designed for heavy abuse. It's designed for a gentle vibrato effect. If you're not using it the way it's intended then there are no guarantees.
Quote by Comfortablylomb
It shouldn't unless you're slamming the heck out of it. The Strat trem is NOT designed for heavy abuse. It's designed for a gentle vibrato effect. If you're not using it the way it's intended then there are no guarantees.

ok thanks a lot and thanks for the other replies aswell

i still appreciate confirmation about whammy abuse not causing the threads of the block to screw up
Last edited by The red Strat. at Dec 8, 2007,
Just wanted to add that you can break the block on some tremelos, though not strats. Some floyd rose copies screw into the block and rely on screwed on boxes to take the force of the torque. If these boxes become loose, all of the torque is placed on the box which isnt made of the strongest metal, and can snap right in half. Ive done it. sux. I cried.
Quote by garboozled
Just wanted to add that you can break the block on some tremelos, though not strats. Some floyd rose copies screw into the block and rely on screwed on boxes to take the force of the torque. If these boxes become loose, all of the torque is placed on the box which isnt made of the strongest metal, and can snap right in half. Ive done it. sux. I cried.

that sucks indeed.