JMDavis07
Certifiable Ashdown *****
416 IQ
If you read the headline, you might know what sort of predicament it is that I'm in. My band is a trio, me on bass, a friend on guitar and singing, another on drums. That said, our old setlist doesn't really apply to this gig because it's in a redneck bar and our other guitarist left the band. We've been together for a couple of months and we're capable so musicianship shouldn't be a problem. I've never played live, especially in front of a bunch of rednecks all screaming, "FREEBIRD!"

Here's my request: Could you perhaps suggest some songs a trio can play that would entertain Southerners...? and just so you know, we're being paid 400USD split three ways and the gig is in three weeks.

Thanks for any help and tips are appreciated for live presence and sound.

I'm nervous.
red157
Bringing it back gentle
364 IQ
Don't play songs from bands you think these 'rednecks' (As you called them) like. You'll be thinking you're catering to their tastes, they'll probably think you're taking the piss.

anything eagles if thats your audience

I'd expect them to be ripped to shreds playing that.
JMDavis07
416 IQ
Quote by red157
Don't play songs from bands you think these 'rednecks' (As you called them) like. You'll be thinking you're catering to their tastes, they'll probably think you're taking the piss.

I'd expect them to be ripped to shreds playing that.

>.> They are rednecks...

So you're saying that we should play what we want regardless of where? Sounds good to me, I'm just trying to confirm with you what you said.
Pure_Morning
Boo
369 IQ
Quote by JMDavis07

So you're saying that we should play what we want regardless of where? Sounds good to me, I'm just trying to confirm with you what you said.

That's what I would do. Just play what you want, you'll get more props for that than just regurgitating what they can hear out the jukebox
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Agreed.... assembling a new setlist in 3 weeks to cater to one crowd is just begging for trouble in so many ways.

Do what you do. The person who booked you did so knowing what you guys do, right?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Chevylegend454
Guitarist
1,558 IQ
learn freebird its your only sure way to survive
and roadhouse

or maybe Rawhide (Blues Brothers!!!!)
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
JMDavis07
416 IQ
Quote by axemanchris
Agreed.... assembling a new setlist in 3 weeks to cater to one crowd is just begging for trouble in so many ways.

Do what you do. The person who booked you did so knowing what you guys do, right?

CT

Yeah, good point. Either way we play a lot of classic rock, Floyd, Cream, Hendrix, and a bit of our own stuff. I guess we can play enough music to keep people entertained for an hour or so.

Thanks for the help... again.
GentlyWeeps
43 IQ
Well, here's a set-list of covers I've always wanted to hear:

1. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
2. Purple Haze - Hendrix
3. I'm in Love with My Car- Queen
4. Same Old Song and Dance- Aerosmith
5. Strange Brew- Cream
6. Sunshine of your Love- Cream
7. Superstition- Stevie Wonder (can be adapted to power trio)
8. Texas Flood- SRV
9. Hideaway- Freddie King
10. Voodoo Chile- Jimi Hendrix
11. Bonie Moronie- Johnny Winter
12. Whipping Post- Allman Brothers
13. Have A Cigar- Pink Floyd
14. and just cause...Green Grass and High Tides- The Outlaws!

EDIT: I'm a yank though lol
Last edited by GentlyWeeps at Dec 9, 2007,
JMDavis07
416 IQ
Well, Black Dog, Purple Haze, Sunshine of Your Love, and Voodoo Chile are confirmed.

We're recording too so maybe I can post it for you...?
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Funny you mention those ones.... The last three are really overplayed. Some crowds will roll their eyes and think, "Oh, God... not another band doing yet another version of *that* song again....", yet others are still dying to hear those same songs because they're tried and true crowd pleasers. I tend to avoid those kinds of songs myself.

And this is more of a problem at Karaoke places, but if I hear one more crappy Mickey-Mouse-on-crack bad falsetto version of Black Dog, I don't know what I'll do. hahahahaha

#3, 4, 13.... interesting choices. Great songs, but less overdone.

For God's sake, though.... DON'T do:
Freebird
Roadhouse Blues
Love Me 2x
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash
Knockin on Heaven's Door
.... or any other overplayed ilk like that....

Don't record and post covers. Illegal.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

mydogpoops
2,299 IQ
Play All Along the Watchtower.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

JMDavis07
416 IQ
Quote by axemanchris
Funny you mention those ones.... The last three are really overplayed. Some crowds will roll their eyes and think, "Oh, God... not another band doing yet another version of *that* song again....", yet others are still dying to hear those same songs because they're tried and true crowd pleasers. I tend to avoid those kinds of songs myself.

And this is more of a problem at Karaoke places, but if I hear one more crappy Mickey-Mouse-on-crack bad falsetto version of Black Dog, I don't know what I'll do. hahahahaha

#3, 4, 13.... interesting choices. Great songs, but less overdone.

For God's sake, though.... DON'T do:
Freebird
Roadhouse Blues
Love Me 2x
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash
Knockin on Heaven's Door
.... or any other overplayed ilk like that....

CT

I know exactly what you're talking about. My singer/guitarist isn't one to sing something he can't, but he wouldn't be singing it in the same... octave?

All Along the Watchtower might be a good one to play, and we're opening with a cover. Also playing Hey Joe, Crossroads, and... hopefully Echoes or Comfortably Numb.
Dishburn
202 IQ
JM,
Only play "Freebird" if your band's name is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Try these: Theme Song to Rawhide and Stand by your Man... it worked for the Blues Brothers.
Good Luck!
Dish
live4ledzep
made this avatar.pikachu!
247 IQ
zz top is very recognizable to anyone whos ever listened to rock in the south. they should like zz top, and anything blues-rock. i asked my dad (grew up in KY) and he said zz top, stevie ray vaughan (if ure up for it) and cream
When i die, i wanna be burried upside down...so that anybody who doesnt like me can kiss my ass.

marilize leguana!
SpiritOfRadio11
248 IQ
I think you should just stick with the majority of your setlist, and then maybe just add a few new ones here and there that they may be better suited to your venue
-------------------------------------------------
Rythem Guitar/Singer-Smoke Patterns
www.myspace.com/smokepatterns

Quote by its irrelevant
I think you should go to the Amazon, cut down a tree and make one guitar out of it, then burn the rest.

Spiting Al Gore FTW
Gary1989
1982 Fender player
300 IQ
Quote by axemanchris

CT

Ummm No?
Its only illegal if you take credit for the song and try to make a profit off of it.

But to the thread starter, just play your original set list and do what your comfortable with, nothing worse then trying to learn a bunch of songs a week before a gig.
1982 Fender Bullet
2003 Epiphone SG
willwelsh816
Sittn on top of the world
2,464 IQ
Try a nice smooth instrumental for the begining, like Hideaway by freddie king.

if you want to keep your setlist, try playing some more southern style playing
mc92
38 IQ
You should try Ring of Fire and I walk the line by Johnny Cash and Cold, Cold Heart by Hank Williams. They love this songs.
pandora_grunt
Keys Blaster
62 IQ
Quote by axemanchris

CT

Anyone disagreeing... he looked into this stuff for his thread. Chris would know. By posting it online, you would duplicate and there for it would be illegal.

The fact we let it happen doesn't mean it's legal.

Edit: If you tend do do a skynyrd song: Red White and Blue is a beautiful song.
Last edited by pandora_grunt at Feb 1, 2009,
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
re: recording and posting covers is illegal ^^^

Quote by Gary1989
Ummm No?
Its only illegal if you take credit for the song and try to make a profit off of it.

Source?

Good thing I started the copyright thread in the Musician Talk forum. Still waiting for it to be stickied, though. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

The first article in that thread addresses the issue of recording covers, complete with links to primary sources.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 1, 2009,