Hey ug members. I need your help with something. I was planning on buying either a gibson sg classic with p-90s or buying a gibson sg special for $575 and change the pickups but both of the models have a dot neck and my friend told me that dot neck gibsons arent really good, that their necks aren't the best... this made me think once again about which guitar i should get and now im not sure weather i should go with my original idea or save up to get an sg standard because it has a trapoizoid neck.

what should i do? Are gibson's with dot necks ****ty or should i just ignore my friend?

also do you think any of these guitars would be good for playing the beatles?

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
Last edited by lostboyjp at Dec 8, 2007,
The inlays don't do anything for the guitars playability...

They're just there to look pretty.
Well with SG's, the Standard is much much much better than the Special.

It's up to you really, looks or performance. The Standard will kick it right out of the water, so i'm sure you should be able to live with trapezoid inlays.
There seems to be a consensus that the lower grade Gibsons have quality control issues. Quality control issues don't mean they're all junk though (which is what some people seem to think). It just means you need to really give them a look before buying one and that some are pretty good. You've just got to play a few and really inspect them.

If you can afford to wait and pony up a little more money you might be happier in the long term. I'm pretty sure the Standards hold their value better, and they're just a little but nicer. Their necks are bound, the trapezoids look better (IMO at least), better electronics, and they have nicer finishes (also IMO).
no i like the trapoizoid inlays but i just was worried that if i got one without them that it was going to be bad

A few hours later...

My Gear:

Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
Dot Gibsons can be really good, but be picky with them. (as said by comfortablylomb)
Also, the pickups on the special are not worse, but they are lower output (alnico II compared to alnico V), switching pickups would be apropiate if you play heavy music.
Though, for beatles, i'd go with the classic with p90's.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
my advice is to just take out another mortgage or a loan and buy the most expensive overpriced gibson you can find. like a custom shop one for like 5 thousand dollars. then you dont have to worry about not getting the best one. lol
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by TJM2482

I've played the one with the trapeziod inlays, really nice guitar, and for a great price to!
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by tasty licks
my advice is to just take out another mortgage or a loan and buy the most expensive overpriced gibson you can find. like a custom shop one for like 5 thousand dollars. then you dont have to worry about not getting the best one. lol

There are clunker high priced guitars too.
Quote by tasty licks

cant do that... im 14

A few hours later...

My Gear:

what about a gibson vegas? what do you think would be better sg standard or vegas standard

A few hours later...

My Gear:

For your type of music, the vegas is better. If you get an SG for beatles sounds, you'll want the classic with p90s.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
here are the bands i like and you guys tell me what you think

1.The Beatles
2.The Doors/The Police
3.Led Zepplin
4.The Who
5.Clapton
6.AC/DC
7.Nirvana
.....etc. there are more but im too lazy (what can i say? im american)

so mostly in a nut shell i play lots of classic rock, somes blues, little metal

A few hours later...

My Gear:

Last edited by lostboyjp at Dec 8, 2007,