Here's the basic info:
- A beginner player really, but definitely working on improving so I don't need anything too fancy
- Have a Vox AD30VT at home - which I love
- Unfortunately college life involves flying - in other words no way I'm bringing that amp with me, so now I need a new practice amp
- Living in a typical college dorm right now, in other words I do not need something loud at all, just a good, reliable practice amp
- Into more cleans vs. heavy distortion, mostly Clapton/RHCP vs. Metallica. That being said would also like a versatile amp capable of handling, for example, some GnR.
- Guitar is a Fender Mexican Fat Strat

I was wondering what recommendations you experts could make for me. Ideally my budget is well, as cheap as possible... ~$125 is about all I think I could justify spending on this amp, with <$100 preferred, I know that won't get me anything great but I just need something to tide me over.

Currently my #1 choice, based on review and threads here is the Roland MicroCube.

Finally, one of the luxuries I've allowed myself is a decent speaker 2.1 system, this definitely has a built in line-in port, believe it should be feasible to hook an amp into here to benefit from the 200 watt power? This is also why I'm not as concerned about the volume of the amp as the quality of its tone.

Thank you!
Last edited by the_dong146 at Dec 8, 2007,
Roland Microcube is good, but I personally think that a Vox DA5 might be better. Alternatively, you could go for a Line 6 Pocket POD and a set of good headphones.
If you are used to the AD30vt, then I would buy the DA5. In some ways the two are similar. (I know this because I have played both amps)
Yeah +1 to the DA5 recommendations.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
if you're willing to spend a fair amount more for a better tone, then get the epiphone valve junior. otherwise, what the above guys said
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Valve Junior!

Plus, then you might be able to take it to jam with if the need arises. I use my combo for jazz band practices and I never have to turn it past half.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Just to throw this out there...
why not do away with an amp completely.

if your decent speakers are hooked up to your computer, why not use an interface and use your computer as an amp...using something like GuitarRig?
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
because an interface like the low end toneport GX is $70...plus good speakers if needed so he's looking to spend quite a bit with that...

Pocket Pod
Micro cube
EVJ
DA5

Ihe line input on the cube isnt for amps, its only cor MP3 and CD type players. Theres no volume contron for the inputs either so you would normally use the MP3s volume.
you might look at the Korg Pandoras, too. they're little portable amp modeler/practice things that seem to get good reviews.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
+1 for no amp at all.

The Line 6 Toneport is going with me to college.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by the_dong146
Finally, one of the luxuries I've allowed myself is a decent speaker 2.1 system,

Quote by moody07747
because an interface like the low end toneport GX is $70...plus good speakers if needed so he's looking to spend quite a bit with that...

Ihe line input on the cube isnt for amps, its only cor MP3 and CD type players. Theres no volume contron for the inputs either so you would normally use the MP3s volume.

1) He already has the speakers.
2) The line-in he is talking about is situated ON said speakers.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
I used a micro cube in college and it was great. It does the job.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Thanks for all the great replies guys

From above:

The out:

- Epiphone Valve Junior - sure this thing is great, but way out of my budget
- Pocket Pod, I do have good headphones, but not looking to play with headphones on, kinda of want to hear it through at least some kind of speaker

More info?

- Have to admit I am intrigued by the Line 6 TonePort UX 1 or the GX. Differences between the too? Correct me if this is correct, basically software that will take input from my guitar through the "toneport" and use the speakers to play, with the software serving the functions of modelling etc.
Anyone able to speak on or compare the quality of tone for these two options (UX1 vs GX)?

Definitely considering:
- The MicroCube
- Vox DA5, main "concern" with this is that it may just be too similar to the AD30 I already own, + a little more expensive than the MicroCube

Again thanks for the help!
if you're not getting the valve junior, then i'd have to say the roland microcube. roland are a very trustworthy company, and ive heard a ridiculous amount of praise about the 'cube.

a guitar-computer interface might mean that you cant go and jam, and it means you have to switch your computer on every time you want to play, and it wont feel very natural at all
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by the_dong146

- Have to admit I am intrigued by the Line 6 TonePort UX 1 or the GX. Differences between the too? Correct me if this is correct, basically software that will take input from my guitar through the "toneport" and use the speakers to play, with the software serving the functions of modelling etc.
Anyone able to speak on or compare the quality of tone for these two options (UX1 vs GX)?

I used a Toneport in the dorms; definitely a good choice.

^Most jams in the dorm life are with acoustics when you're drunk, in my experience

I'd get the UX1 for the sole purpose of you being able to use it to record your amp at home by micing it up with a dynamic mic.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I've tried the DA5 and the microcube head to head. The Da5 has a more "boxy" sound to it. And if you want good distortion you shouldn't consider the da5. Although that's just my oppinion, you should offcourse try them for yourself.
Thanks again for the help guys - No way near good enough for the jam sessions or recording, so I'm thinking I'll save myself a few bucks and diversify a little by going for the Toneport GX?

Don't suppose you guys have any string suggestions - I think the Super Bullets on the guitar are aging.... I've heard good things about Ernie Ball Slinkies...