I have recently decided to try tapping and I. Just. Can't. Do. It. I know I need to practice it alot but how long did it take you guys to tap at the bpm of like, EVH? Could it be that I'm using a strat? I remember hearing some people on this forum complaining they can't tap on a strat neck.
Quote by Hellscream91
I have recently decided to try tapping and I. Just. Can't. Do. It. I know I need to practice it alot but how long did it take you guys to tap at the bpm of like, EVH? Could it be that I'm using a strat? I remember hearing some people on this forum complaining they can't tap on a strat neck.

EVH used a strat.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
You can tap on pretty much any neck. If you need too, try using your pick to start out with. The tapping that I started out doing were Rock Forever by Judas Priest, and Eruption (tapping parts only) they are simple.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Remember to hit the string pretty hard, it won't work if you just touch it. And when you pull your finger off, kind of "pluck' the string with your finger. You don't want to move your finger much, just the tiniest bit of pull on the string.
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
You need to pluck the string slightly to get any sound out of it. Start out slow and speed it up. Tapping can be fun but dont do it too much.

I won't , I mainly wanted it to build up an extra tool for my toolbox when I get to composing and to learn Eruption and Crazy Train (solo) as well as other riffs.
My strat isn't very good for tapping for some reason, but its not impossible.

Eruption tapping is simple enough to start with, or just tap pentatonic scales - search for videos or lessons on here or on youtube.

Pentatonic tapping allows you to come up with some pretty cool sounding tapping licks of your own!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by Hellscream91
I have recently decided to try tapping and I. Just. Can't. Do. It. I know I need to practice it alot but how long did it take you guys to tap at the bpm of like, EVH?

I got into EVH like a madman when the first LP came out.
One month, daily 30-60 min, to figure it right with a turntable I'd slow down with my finger, write it down and make sense, one month daily 15 min, with a metronome to bring it up to speed and articulation.
Quote by Eminored
Check out some videos on youtube and make sure you're positioning your left hand properly over the fretboard.

Left hand ? Are you sure ?
I hardly paid attention to it.
For me, the trick is correctly positioning and locking (laying the elbow and upper part of forearm on the body, thumb extended out parallel to the neck) the right (tapping) hand in position. On video, it really jumps out. It's the first thing EVH always does before tapping away. It did take me 3,4 different video shots before it struck me.
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
Tapping can be fun but dont do it too much.

Why is that ?
Try tapping with your index finger at first, then once you get good at it switch to your middle.

Something that made sense to me is the fact that tapping is just a pull off, except with your right hand. You push down to let the note under your right finger ring, then when you want to have the ones under your left hand ring out clear, you pull off (using a downward motion). Make sure the motion isn't too big though. Start slow and work it up. It's not very hard to increase your tapping speed. Well, at least compared to other techniques.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

How long you been playing?

Tapping is an advanced technique - if you can already pick and fret notes accurately at a fair speed then it's worth trying. However if you can't then there isn't any point trying it just yet as you're not going to be able to do much with it...if you can't fret notes fast enough or accurately enough when picking you won't be able to do it when tapping.

If you've not been playing that long then concentrate on getting good at the basics before moving on to flash techniques like tapping.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mck_776
My strat isn't very good for tapping for some reason, but its not impossible.

Eruption tapping is simple enough to start with, or just tap pentatonic scales - search for videos or lessons on here or on youtube.

Pentatonic tapping allows you to come up with some pretty cool sounding tapping licks of your own!

the action on your guitar may be too high. (thats the distance between the strings and the neck). try lowering it. i did and tapping is alot easier now.
Empty Space
Quote by steven seagull

Tapping is an advanced technique - if you can already pick and fret notes accurately at a fair speed then it's worth trying. However if you can't then there isn't any point trying it just yet as you're not going to be able to do much with it...if you can't fret notes fast enough or accurately enough when picking you won't be able to do it when tapping.

If you've not been playing that long then concentrate on getting good at the basics before moving on to flash techniques like tapping.

What if I can already tremelo pick at a fairly good speed? I can do single string stuff pretty good and I'm improving in multiple string tremelo picking.
Quote by Tallman

Best lesson ive seen.

Aye! Very articulate and refreshing.
Quote by Hellscream91
What if I can already tremelo pick at a fairly good speed? I can do single string stuff pretty good and I'm improving in multiple string tremelo picking.

Tremolo picking is no help at all, to be brutally honest it's about teh most useless technique there is. People always learn it early because they think it's a shortcut to playing fast, but all tremolo picking does is teach you how to tremolo pick! If you allow it to creep into your playing then you basically kid yourself into thinking you're playing fast, it's probably the number one culprit for sloppy playing, doubled up notes and all that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Well ever since I learned proper alternate picking technique I've been able to play faster. EDIT: Oops...quoted wrong message X_X