Where do you guys position your mic when trying to record something. I'm still having a difficult time getting a reasonable sound. I'm sure it's my crappy computer, but I'm going to continue fiddling around until I get somthing usuable.

But back to question: Should I be mic'ing my cab up 2 inches away from the speaker directly infront, just off to the side, or should I just try and mic up a room and pick up the sound from it?
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
When I record at night, I put it right up against the speaker with my SS amp and turn it down, but otherwise, I turn my tube amp up, and put the mic about a foot/two feet away.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
im sure theres something on mics in tweaks guide in my sig but as for a set position for mics...there are none...you just have to keep trying different spots and see what you get out of it.

eventually youll get better at it all and will start spending less time micing up amps and such.
Thanks for the help. I've got my amp nice and cookin', but I'm litterally about to go crazy because it sounds brutal. Haha, I should use a crappier guitar incase I smash it.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I'm using a SM57 with an M-Audio FastTrack. I still haven't gotten anything usuable since I last tried.

How big of a part does digitally editing a piece of audio play in getting a pretty good sound?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
On my cab, I usually stick it right up almost touching the grill cloth, sometimes angles so that it is perpendicular to the speaker cone, or straight at it, usually half way between the center and outside of the speaker.
Quote by xTJx
I'm using a SM57 with an M-Audio FastTrack. I still haven't gotten anything usuable since I last tried.

How big of a part does digitally editing a piece of audio play in getting a pretty good sound?

Fairly large, but pick yourself up a USB compatible pic preamp for like $100 new or less used it'll make a big difference. I need to do that
yea get a good preamp. The Studio Projects VTB-1 is a nice start for about $120.
mic > pre-amp > interface > compuer.

I've heard so mant times that the SM57 is only as good as the pre-amp used with it and owning the mic myself I would have to agree with them.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 10, 2007,
What exactly does the pre-amp do? And how is it different from my FastTrack interface? I mean, looking up some stuff, they all look identical to what I've got here.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Last edited by xTJx at Dec 10, 2007,
Alright thanks. I'll head out and see if my local store has the VTB pre and give it a try.

Man, my original plan of $100 for a simple recording isn't turning out too well. Oh well, it just means I'll have to keep on recording stuff. Now just to figure out how to use the software.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Just keep trying different things. You could put the mic anywhere from 2-12 inches. I found that for me I got the best sound 3-6 inches form the amp and pointing directly perpendicular to the amp, but a little of the centre of the cone.

Rember that the closer to the amp you put it, the more bass you get, and further away for a more trebly sound, due to proximity effect.

EDIT: do you think you could post up a clip of it so we can see how its sounding at them moment?
Recording guitars is an art. So much 'just depends.' Your guitar, your amp, style of music, type of cabinet, type/size of speaker, size/shape/materials in room, location of mic, what kind of mic, what kind of sound you want, etc. There are no rules, just generalizations. I've even gotten good sounds going direct to the board and adding an amp modelling plug-in!

So... what kind of sound are you looking for? Generally, closer to the speaker gives you a more in your face sound, whereas farther away gives you a more ambient sound. Combining the two gives it a bit of a 'livelier' sound. Closer to the cone gives more edge, and closer to the edge of the speaker more smooth sound. Mic on axis (ie. pointing straight at the source) gives a more stark sound, whereas the tone can be softened a little by angling the mic a bit ("off axis").

Condensor mics will work better as room mics typically, whereas a dynamic (like your 57) is recommended for up close to the speaker. (if in doubt, don't risk killing a nice condensor by shredding it with deafening guitar cabs!)

I've always had good luck with the following:

Amp in middle of room - not closed in, therefore, no sound bouncing around like the cabinet is in a big box

Closed-back cabinet - just sounds tighter.

SM57 pointing at the edge of the cone near where it meets the diaphragm, and placed on axis, right up against the grille.

Good solid volume on amp, but not blaring.

FWIW

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by xTJx

You can polish a turd all day long, but it's still a turd.

Or... for the more polite.... "You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear."

If you really, really need to, you can polish a turd and make it kinda purty, but that's a last resort/worst-case scenario.

People got really good guitar recordings way before digital anything was a reality. Get a guitar that sounds good, a player who sounds good, a mic that sounds good, and figure out where to put it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.