As the title suggests I am having trouble writing my own songs. I dont really know what my problem is. It's just everything I do write ends up sounding like something I have covered. How can I become more original with my writing?
If I ever win the lottery, I will make a restaurant and call it "Thank you for calling, how may I help you" so when someone calls, I can say "Thank you for calling thank you for calling how may I help you how may I help you"
- Daniel Tosh
I have noticed that, when writing a song with some music on, I'll automatically/unconsciously "steal" some stuff from that song. So maybe you should try to avoid listening to other music at the time, or maybe even (if possible) some time before writing.

Other than that I can't think of anything
Elle moe is elle va.
songwriting forum. and yes, this a problem which plagues some people. just play, and something new will eventually come out
Stop listening to music, and MAKE yourself write 1 new song each day or at least a beat/riff/lick...lots of crap comes from it, but you ***should*** get a great song eventually.
Theory. Bass guitar for dummies, even though it may make you feel and look like a douchebag, has so much good theory in it. I just dick around with two octave scales and end up writing things.

Edit: Two octave scales I learned from the book, and it's solid, original stuff.
Quote by StoopidRudeboy
Ohhhhh, you still ruined it for me now...... never mind. Your cool ill let it go.

Hmm...

closest thing I ever got to a compliment
Last edited by SWiB at Dec 8, 2007,
heres what works for me. listen to as much music as you can (thats the obvious) but diversify it. different genres etc. do NOT go learning any of this material. everytime you pick up your instrument, do not have other music on. just play, jam out stuff, whatever. eventually you'll start finding riffs worth while to build upon, and your own style should come through as well.
are you talking about writing songs from scratch or just basslines to accompany something your band writes?

I struggle writing my own stuff but its never usually too hard for me to come up with something reasonably unique and creative as far as bass alone is concerned.
thanks for the help guys. I will go look for that book sometime and isolate my ears from any music for the moment.
If I ever win the lottery, I will make a restaurant and call it "Thank you for calling, how may I help you" so when someone calls, I can say "Thank you for calling thank you for calling how may I help you how may I help you"
- Daniel Tosh
I also have this problem when messing around with a riff or chords for a song!

I think its really hard to come up with something that sounds completely original these days since almost everything has been done!

Plus i think its almost impossible to make music without being influenced by the bands u listen to!

So i think u shoud just embrace it and play woteva flows out of u really!!!!

Just look at oasis, they stole a lot of riffs but no one cares coz their songs are still great!!!