Im getting my first electric within a few weeks, and I was wondering if there is anyway to somehow plug my electric guitar into my computer with an input cord.

First off, is this even possible (I think it is though, my brother somehow hooked his Bass guitar up to his computer and made some really cool distortions with his computer, but I don't know how he did it.)

Second off, would I need to buy a special cable?? If so, links would be appreciated!

Just get a 1/4" male to 1/8" female adapter and a 1/8"(3.5mm) cable. Plug one end into the adapter into the guitar, and the other into the line in on your sound card.
Last edited by eXperiment63 at Dec 8, 2007,
you need a preamp if your going to your computer i think. or atleast go from guitar to amp to computer.
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.
yep that'll work. i used to do it all the time when i was first starting to play. just go from your line out or headphone thing on your amp to your computer. u just need the adaptor to go from the regular amp cable to the 1/4 mono cable but u can get those at radio shack or whatever for like a buck
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.
Ya, I already spotted a 6' 1\8"-1\4" inch cable for like $4.

So im gonna pick your brain again, do I need to download any software to do this?
well theres a few things you could do there, uhh first you could just use sound recorder if you dont wanna download anything but this usually sucks lol. umm theres a program called REAPER and its a free multitrack recorder and its a great program i used to use it all the time. if your looking for extremely highquality and price lol you could get sound forge (about 300us$) umm theres also a program called audicity which is pretty much the same as sound forge but its free.
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.