Ok, so today i decided to switch users on my computer between my mom's and mine. I tried to, but every time i clicked on a user to log on to, it says i must register windows with Microsoft to log on. Now, we got this computer about 3-4 years ago and registered it then. Can anyone help me? I'm not sure whats going on. And yes, i have already scanned for viruses. Tried microsoft.com already.
When all else fails, ask the pit.
whoah dude, are you sure you dont have virs? how up to date is your protection, there could have been a few missed ones man.....you might have to do a total sys restore.. that would suck. I dont know what else could be wrong tho lolz, ask a professional instead of posting on UG.
Happened to me. Boot from CD and repair. If it doesn't work (as with me) you could completely reinstall windows and lose all your junk.
so put in the Operating system cd, and then what?

Edit:btw, by repairing, it wont wipe my computer right?
It should be step by step kinda thing. Or ask a tech support forum and ask, I don't know too much about it.
I think a format is in order. Back up all your stuff and format it. If you don't know how to do that, take the computer to your local shop. They should help you.
If you have the windows XP installations disk, put it in while the computer is on and then choose to install XP (upgrade) without deleting the old files. I think that should work. Can't say for sure, don't use XP anymore.
Ok, need some more help. I turned on the computer on today and it brought up an HP update and said it would stop the registration thing. I installed it and it still does it. I tried the OS CD and it says the version on my computer is newer than the CD. Any ideas?