So I'm in the neighbourhood of getting a good metal distortion pedal....

No one I know has ever had an EHX pedal...and about half hasn't heard of one so I've turned to Ultimate-Guitar to help.

I might be getting either a Peavey Valve King or a Roland JC-120, because it's cheaper to get one of those and a pedal rather then buying some expensive amp...I'd be buying them second hand and the highest price my parents would go for the amp is $400. I've heard the Metal Muff can really put some power into a Valve King...

Any Comments/Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Matt
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
*thumbs up* great combo right there but make sure that the valveking is for you beucase some people say its not for them and other people think its perfect
Sounds alright.

Not as good as an OD pedal on OD channel.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Last edited by Guitar_Dan_666 at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by ANTHRAX†
metal muff has the best tone i've ever heard.
get it.

Have you ever heard an overdriven tube amp?
it's ok for the money, but it blows my mind how some of the guys around here think it's the best thing ever.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
it's ok for the money, but it blows my mind how some of the guys around here think it's the best thing ever.

+infinity

it's decent for a ss distortion pedal, but it's not the holy grail of tone.
lol yeah, it can't compare to a good tube amp's distortion, but if you just need to make a 'not so metal' amp get some more distortion, then its pretty good imo. I don't know if i would choose any pedal ever over my amps natural overdrive when cranked.
Quote by jj1565
it blows my mind how some of the guys around here think it's the best thing ever.

I don't get it either! I gave the Metal Muff three chances with three different amps - Marshall JVM, Peavey JSX, and an Orange Rockerverb 50. The Metal Muff sounded thin and harsh with each amp. Maybe everyone likes the excess gain that's on tap? I had the gain at about 10-11 o'clock. Past 12 and it sounded muddy. The nano MM sounded somewhat better than the biggest Metal Muff, but still nothing special at all.

Quote by ANTHRAX†
metal muff has the best tone i've ever heard.
get it.

Sorry to say, but that's pretty sad.
Quote by kyrreca
What kind of metal tone are you looking for?

Rob Marcello kind of...like Sonata Arctica...Dethklok...

Basically all the melodic metal genres, POwer Metal, Melo-Death, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions...and about the tube amp yeh....

I'm still in highschool and I won't be able to afford the tube changes...so I think I might get a JC-120 instead OR save up for something....

I don't have a job as of yet, and my parents hate it when I play guitar a lot...

But yeh maybe a Randall amp and the Metal Muff. I'm going to get the pedal for sure...electro harmonix seems like such a good company. all their effects sound amazing in the videos, but you can never go by them because the sound is compressed and what not.

Keep the Comments and Suggestions Comin!
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station