Im going to buy a laptop soon. Probably an HP.
But my question is for internet on it. Right now im using a dail-up connection.
So i have my phone line plugged in my computer and yeah..
Once i get the laptop i want to get highspeed of coarse, Either Qwest or Comcast
Is anyone better? And do i need to have them come out and instal a cable line?
Or can i just sign up?

Dumb Question, i know. But any and all help would be great, thanks!
If you want good internet, you'll need a cable line. Broadband is pretty much the fastest right now. As for the laptop, get a mac, you'll never regret it.
It's a fake wheel, dummy!
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Don't download music or you'll go to prison and get anally raped.
Well, Qwest/Comcast probably depends on where you live... I have TeleBeep wireless internet, and I love it, works in ANY weather... Just get a DualCore processor... that never hurts.. and I'm guessing that either of your internet choices won't be too much different... might be better to go based on price (if you're paying, or trying to convince someone to pay for it for you).
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Ha alright. How much is it usually to have the cable line put in?
I have qwest phone service and DISH tv. Would it be cheaper to just do one of those bundling packages?
Quote by ibanez_player
Ha alright. How much is it usually to have the cable line put in?
I have qwest phone service and DISH tv. Would it be cheaper to just do one of those bundling packages?

I would think so... but you might have to do some research with your local providers for the facts...
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

+1 Maus24

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

pm C.C. Deville to join
Well in my area it was about 50 bucks for installation and setup of a new cable line. The modem is extra; i think about 30.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Quote by jameswilkerson
Well in my area it was about 50 bucks for installation and setup of a new cable line. The modem is extra; i think about 30.

Also... since you're getting a laptop, think about investing in a Wireless router also, since most laptops are standard with wireless capabilities.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

+1 Maus24

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

pm C.C. Deville to join
i would go with
Comcast. I had quest for a while and they sucked..internet was never up..phone never went through couldn't get anyone out to fix it..etc......
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
Quote by punkrocker10115
i would go with
Comcast. I had quest for a while and they sucked..internet was never up..phone never went through couldn't get anyone out to fix it..etc......

Comcast actually works pretty good for me. Internet is always up, and usually good speed (sometimes its really slow). We had some problems before, but that was because we were splitting the signel to much. We dont use them for phone though
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by jameswilkerson
If you want good internet, you'll need a cable line. Broadband is pretty much the fastest right now. As for the laptop, get a mac, you'll never regret it.

Nope.
ADSL is simpler, and just as good as cable.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Nope.
ADSL is simpler, and just as good as cable.

wow you're right man, (looked it up). We don't have that where i live. Our dSL is extremely slow.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
comcast sucks...go with DSL if its available....especially if its verizon. For the same price through verizon as comcast, you get faster speeds. plus it doesnt slow down when there are a lot of people on at one time.
Quote by Maus24
I would think so... but you might have to do some research with your local providers for the facts...

+1; I hope to be getting high speed sometime soon too(doesn't dial up just suck?!?!). The best thing I've done so far was figure out what services are available in my area, and compare prices and speeds. If you're not careful you'll be charged out the ass for something you can get a lot cheaper from a different provider. Good luck(and kudos for not getting a Dell!).
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Also, go to speedtest.net, and search for the company stats.
There search for your city, and look for the company with the best results.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

For some reason I have this aversion to HP computers. It's not like I've heard all kinds of bad things about them, I just don't like them. If I were you I'd get a Toshiba, they're pretty awesome for the price.

I'd also try to get Windows XP Pro, as Vista is a pathetic excuse for an OS, it's even worse than Mac OS X.
Cable can either be faster or slower than DSL, it just depends on where you are. Ask your neighbours, see what they are using and what they think or use that speedtest site.

And Vista isn't bad, quit your whining. I've used it on 3 or 4 systems and not had any trouble.