I believe it's relatively new on the market, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. Is it a good amp? It's all valve, class AB. The heaviest I play is hard rock, but no "br00tullz" metal. A good clean channel is very important to me, and overdrive good enough for blues, funk, rock, hard rock, shred, and alternative. Stuff like RHCP, The Beatles, Paul Gilbertish tones, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, ect... Again, no metal tones necessary. I'll get an overdrive pedal with it, if necessary. I'd also like a good lead tone, seeing as how I'm the lead guitarist . So would this amp suit me? If not, what amp would? It needs to have all the things I want as mentioned before, and loud enough for band practice with a drummer. I don't care much for built-in effects. I don't care if it's solid state or valve, as long it sounds good. And my budget is $500 at the most.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Last edited by kosmic at Dec 9, 2007,
There's a guy that does reviews on youtube that always uses that amp, and I like the sound. I'll try to find his videos for you in a minute.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
You're aware that 3 of the 5 artists you listed right before saying no metal are metal, right?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Here's a video of a guy demoing the Boss SD-1 on the Crate V50... if you look at some more of that user's videos, he uses that amp a lot.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tmXVKWFBHRA
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
Quote by merfsullivan
You're aware that 3 of the 5 artists you listed right before saying no metal are metal, right?

Not really. Although they're categorized into metal, none of their tones are ever heavily overdriven (except Iron Maiden, but barely). I mean that I don't want or need any "br00tullz" metal tones, as in early System Of A Down or Metallica.

Edit: I really like what I heard in those videos, but everytime he played the amp clean or the amp's overdrive it was very brief. I'd go try one myself, but no stores around have one in stock right now. My local Guitar Center said they'll get a new shipment of this amp in about 2 weeks. So I guess I'll have to wait until then to try one out. Anybody else have any opinions, suggestions, or comments on this amp?
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Last edited by kosmic at Dec 9, 2007,
Quote by TheAdict310
Here's a video of a guy demoing the Boss SD-1 on the Crate V50... if you look at some more of that user's videos, he uses that amp a lot.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tmXVKWFBHRA

wow, the SD is sooooo noisy....
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Hump De Bump.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
I haven't played it. Looked it up, and it seems almost too good to be true. $50 less than the single channel Palomino V32? I'd definitely want to try it before I bought it. In fact, I'd like a bunch of 'em to hit the market before I bought it, so I could get a read on what kind of reliability it has.

Looks like a direct competitor for the Peavey Valveking. I'd want to check 'em out head to head. Crates, in general, have a more vintage tone. Not sure which would work better for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
According to what I've read, slats, it's more modern-rock American voiced. And yes, I also first thought that it was to good to be true. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the help.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Kosmic, i'm in exactly the same situation: i have a boss ds-2, and a crappy solid state, and listen to alot of the same stuff. Ive been really looking at the Crate v-50 and the Peavey Valveking 112, but something turns me off about the peavey, im not sure what it is. Let me know how it goes, man
peace
Quote by nirvaligarden
Kosmic, i'm in exactly the same situation: i have a boss ds-2, and a crappy solid state, and listen to alot of the same stuff. Ive been really looking at the Crate v-50 and the Peavey Valveking 112, but something turns me off about the peavey, im not sure what it is. Let me know how it goes, man
peace

Holy Moses, same here. I played The VK112 and I couldn't tell what it was, but I was very turned off by it.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Quote by yoyodunno
Hey, there's a review of the V series amps of Crate in one of the last musiciansfriend catalogs. Hmm, i'm gonna go find it lol..

Mmk. That'd be nice.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Quote by nirvaligarden
dude ur an asshole stop being so sarcastic if you wants some help

Me? I don't understand how I'm being an asshole. But sorry if I've offended you any way.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
i own the smaller version (a V18 112) and from my experiences, they need a bit of burn in at first. i played for a week before i got it to really sound nice. loads of gain on this thing too.

plus, imo a change of the stock tubes is a great improvement. i tried to crank it at first and well, i wasnt really satisfied with what it produced (at first, mind you). but the longer you get to play it, the better.

also, they tend to break up REALLY fast. anything past 1.5 on the gain knob on mine, actually.

in my opinion, i liked it better than the VK (of course, ive had it for a couple of months now, and ive only tried the VK in the store). you may also want to try them out first, as i dont think they really emphasize quality control (since its priced real low and, not to hit on my fellow asians, is made in China).

changing the stock speaker might help too, but thats down the road on my part, as i like how it is right now.

hope this helps
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp