Yes
125 44%
No
86 30%
I haven't noticed
76 26%
Voters: 287.
Page 1 of 4
Well I was just posting this - 45 minutes of writing - When my internet decided not to respond. So I'm a little pissed. But on with it.

First let me say NO BASHING. I've had more than enough of it lately.

Anyways. Our school paper came out recently. The main article was about gays. This created an uproar of flame after homophobic flame. After discussing this with several gay haters, their responses were all the same.

Me - "Why do you hate gay people?"
Them - "Because they're gay"

Which leads me to this- Is hating gays a trend? I've noticed a lot of people latley "Hate" gays just because the next person does, and don't want to be looked down upon in society, and labeled as "A Fag Lover".

I figured I'd bring this to UG, since I know we have a variety of sexual orientations here.

I am not a gay rights activist. I neither support or look down upon their rights. I see all people as people, and their rights should not be revoked because of something they have no control over. But, they should have no "Special Priviledges" (sp?) because of it either. I just think the discrimination of one is not right.

And lasty, I'd like to say that I am not gay, but this is something that I think is a serious problem.

EDIT. There seems to be some confusion amongst people. I do not mean Gay as in calling things gay. I'm talking about the hating of gay people.

DOUBLE EDIT- Poll was done in a hurry, which I just realized. Instead of "A Trend" think of it as "A Problem?"
Last edited by shreddin_frets at Dec 9, 2007,
Well... I wouldn't say it's a trend. People just don't understand gay people, and they think it's weird.

I don't have a problem with it, but a lot of people do.
When the music's over, turn out the lights.

Quote by pencap
i fingerd my girl the other day she got so wet nearly my entier hand was soked after that i ate her up, she blacked out it was awesome
....I'm not gonna touch this with a 40 foot pole.

Anyway, I've noticed people using the word "gay" as more of an insult as an actual sexuality. Saying "dude don't get halo 3 dats gay". Obviously an intellegent person knows that a game can't have homosexual feelings.

Trend?

I think people are ignorant and not open to learning about homosexuality. They're probably too insecure. The same people thinking that hanging out with gay people makes you gay instantly.
Everybody that I know is a homophobe, aside from 2 gays and a bisexual. I think people are just afraid of it because they can't imagine themselves being gay.

I'm from Texas though.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
I hate people who calls things "gay". It's like me calling something "black" or "asian". I bet people wouldn't like that.

And yeah, I think it is a trend.
I think people just hate them for the same reason they hate black people and such. Because they are close minded bastards.

..and if they're a guy it probably means they are insecure with their sexuality OR a closet gay
The word gay has lost all meaning. I use the word gay a lot, but have nothing against homosexuals.
Frankly I don't see why it's even an issue. Homosexuality has been around forever. Socrates praised relations between men and young boys. Some people are gay and some aren't. Its like how some people are douche-bags and others aren't.
Hating gays is way deeper than a trend. I don't think many people hate on gays just because other people are doing it, but rather because they're brought up in an environment that discourages or doesn't allow them to try to step into someone else's shoes, and understand their thoughts and intentions. That's more than just a trend.
I guess calling things "gay" could be considered a trend, but a long-lasting one, like a style of clothes. But I guess the long-lastingness is the difference between a trend and a fad. So yeah, that.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
I wouldn't say "hating" gays is a trend, but treating them differently definitiely is. For example, the most obvious would be hating them. Another example is the person who thinks he/she is high and mighty by going against the crowd and openly sharing how much he/she respects gays and treats them better than anyone else. That person gives gays special treatment, just like those do who hate gays.
Both groups of people go out of their ways to share their opinions. The real trend is showing gays special treatment. Why gays? Why not native americans? Why not asian people? Either way you're born into the 'group'. I think it's stupid.
I don't hate gays, and i think most of the "hating" is just using gay as an insult.

but to be honest it's extremely annoying when gay people can't just be normal, I'm fine with gay people but when some of them put on that accent and act feminine then it bugs me. no one is like that.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
I don't like gays cause they are gay. I don't like millipedes cause they are millipedes. I have no fear or reasononing but it is my thoughts...Some things you cant explain. Its trendy to defend gays, especially if you are secretely gay yourself.
well i'm not a fan of gays cause some of them act, talk and look like ****ing retards and it bothers me. But, if they acted the same way and were straight i'd feel the same way. Like Rob Halford's gay, but he kicks ass.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Most people at my school are pretty accepting of gay people, but there are a few right-wing extremist idiots who think they sound cool when they bash homosexuals.

I have no problem with homosexuality... It has nothing to do with me. It's the same concept as racism, or antisemitism. People are people... get over it. Move on.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
It's not a trend. It's been around for as long as there have been 2 penises and 2 open buttholes. Homosexuality just isn't natural. No other creature on the planet has a sexual attraction to the same sex of it's own species. Don't get me wrong though, I have alot of gay friends. They're hilarious. I don't hate gay people. Just sayin it's not natural. You can't deny that fact either. There is a reason gay people can't reproduce naturally.
Quote by GeekInThePink
Hating gays is not the trend. Closed-mindedness is the trend.

I wish it was just a trend . . .

Quote by JackFlash19
It's not a trend. It's been around for as long as there have been 2 penises and 2 open buttholes. Homosexuality just isn't natural. No other creature on the planet has a sexual attraction to the same sex of it's own species. Don't get me wrong though, I have alot of gay friends. They're hilarious. I don't hate gay people. Just sayin it's not natural. You can't deny that fact either. There is a reason gay people can't reproduce naturally.

Masturbation - not natural.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
You know, what bothers me most is that all these people are all gung ho about defending gay people and letting them have their rights. Ninety-nine percent of the people that defend gay people do so in a highly abrasive manner, which is just hypocrisy. Im not afraid to share my opinion on the topic, and if you don't like it, then feel free to express that. Just don't ****ing be such a dick about it.

Anyways, i dont care if someone's gay, but homosexuality definitely makes me uncomfortable. Biologically speaking, men weren't made for men (and women weren't made for women, but damn it's fun to watch them try) and that's what i believe. I don't believe that homosexuals are the scum of the earth, but i don't support gay marriage (a whole other can of worms) and like i said before i get uncomfortable around the topic of two dudes getting it on.

Basically, go ahead and be gay, just don't do it around me.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by sSyLc
Hating gays is way deeper than a trend. I don't think many people hate on gays just because other people are doing it, but rather because they're brought up in an environment that discourages or doesn't allow them to try to step into someone else's shoes, and understand their thoughts and intentions. That's more than just a trend.

I see where you come from, and you're right. Society looks down upon Gays, and automaticly dubs someone as gay for sticking up for them. Luckily for me, I really don't give a flying hell what other people have to say about me. But I guess those people who hate are just afraid to be known as someone who stuck up for someone who is Gay.
One of the most popular people in our school is now hated by almost everyone I see because he wrote the article, and is now being labeled as "A Fag".

But the people who hate with no reason except because their friend does is ridiculous, which is pretty much what's happening at our school.

I'm still trying to find a better word than "Trend", but I haven't really found anything better.

Quote by Ace88
You know, what bothers me most is that all these people are all gung ho about defending gay people and letting them have their rights. Ninety-nine percent of the people that defend gay people do so in a highly abrasive manner, which is just hypocrisy. Im not afraid to share my opinion on the topic, and if you don't like it, then feel free to express that. Just don't ****ing be such a dick about it.

Anyways, i dont care if someone's gay, but homosexuality definitely makes me uncomfortable. Biologically speaking, men weren't made for men (and women weren't made for women, but damn it's fun to watch them try) and that's what i believe. I don't believe that homosexuals are the scum of the earth, but i don't support gay marriage (a whole other can of worms) and like i said before i get uncomfortable around the topic of two dudes getting it on.

Basically, go ahead and be gay, just don't do it around me.

I'm not sure if you're aiming the "Being a Dick" at me or not. I am not (My apologies if it seems like it). What I beleive is that a person is a person is a person. Now I neither support or disproove of Gays. They shouldn't be denied any rights whatsoever, regardless of sexual orientation.

But. I agree with your final statement. I don't mind gay people. If my best friend came and told me "I'm gay", I wouldn't loose any respect, or leave the friendship. He's still the same person I knew 5 years ago. The problem with me comes when they start making moves, which is 3 miles over the line.
Last edited by shreddin_frets at Dec 9, 2007,
Quote by sSyLc
Masturbation - not natural.

I disagree with you AND the person you were disagreeing with. What is natural?
Quote by DICTIONARY.COM
existing in or formed by nature

So, you were born gay. It existed by nature. You were also born with a hand and reproductive organs. Who's to say using them isn't natural? Is walking natural? Is eating corn natural? You are using what you were born with.
I don't really pay attention to whose doing it.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by AngelOfHatred
The word gay has lost all meaning. I use the word gay a lot, but have nothing against homosexuals.

This.
Quote by 6079 Smith W
One time I had this chick setting on my lap, sucking on my neck, unbuttoning my pants when one of my friends walked in and ruined the whole thing. To be fair though, she was his girlfriend.

Shoopin' that whoop since before you were born, son.
Quote by rush5757
I disagree with you AND the person you were disagreeing with.

You're disagreeing with my sarcasm, yet you disagree with what I was being sarcastic about? Sorry, but I'm not sure where that puts you.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Hating gays isn't a trend, it's just the way they were raised. Of course, I can't entirely throw out the idea.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
For the church it is not a trend.

For teenagers, yeah it is.

And anyone who uses Jesus to get a point of hate across needs to see that they're talking about "the biggest hippie of all time".
I think it's not a trend, here's my theory:

Kids are using the word "gay" as an insult from an early age and that gives them the negative impression about gay people.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by rush5757
I disagree with you AND the person you were disagreeing with. What is natural?
So, you were born gay. It existed by nature. You were also born with a hand and reproductive organs. Who's to say using them isn't natural? Is walking natural? Is eating corn natural? You are using what you were born with.

Noone is born gay. Regardless of what they say. It's not physically natural because there is no reproductive ability for 2 gay people. Remember the blocks game when you were a kid? Put the shapes in the holes? Yea. There is a reason the vagina is shaped like a hole and the penis is shaped like a peg. Not to mention the whole fact that women carry eggs and men carry sperm and like cannot continue on this earth without a penis in a vagina. Preference has nothing to do with nature.
I think the standard question to JackFlash19 in this situation is - If people choose to be gay, when did you decide to be straight?
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Or why did you choose to be the hated minority?

Seriously Jack, think normally, why would people CHOOSE to be hated?

Havent you seen the American Dad episode where Stan says that being gay is not a choice?

Didnt that influence you?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by sSyLc
I think the standard question to JackFlash19 in this situation is - If people choose to be gay, when did you decide to be straight?

When I preferred breasts and vaginas over penises?

Oh wait, I see your point. I've actually thought about whether or not I could be gay. In the end, I could see myself kissing another guy who I thought was cute..though that didn't arouse me...it just seemed bearable.

But then I thought about what happened once the pants came off...and that didn't even seem bearable.

Plus the figure of a women really arouses me ^_^
Quote by JackFlash19
Noone is born gay. Regardless of what they say. It's not physically natural because there is no reproductive ability for 2 gay people. Remember the blocks game when you were a kid? Put the shapes in the holes? Yea. There is a reason the vagina is shaped like a hole and the penis is shaped like a peg. Not to mention the whole fact that women carry eggs and men carry sperm and like cannot continue on this earth without a penis in a vagina. Preference has nothing to do with nature.

Yeah, and I chose to have conflicts with myself over my gender and my confusion as to my sexuality. That's why I cut myself before and ended up in therapy, I wanted to.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I live in Tennessee..a nice area mind you, but it's still Tennessee. I am surrounded by an alarming amount of homophobic people.

Anyway, I sometimes tell people at school that I'm gay (I'm very much not) just for their reactions.
"Perception of Balance " - My album.

"Run away from the ending road, the desolate cold, and the broken home."
Quote by Guitar0player
Seriously Jack, think normally, why would people CHOOSE to be hated?

I think some people chose to be hated, or at least not liked (ie. uncool is the new cool.) to get reactions out of people, and certainly some people "come out" simply to make a scene, regardless of their sexual orientation, but this, of course, is not representative of all gays (if any.) EDIT: See above post.
I think it's understandable where Jack is coming from, but science and testimony seem to be disagreeing with him in this case.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by rush5757
I wouldn't say "hating" gays is a trend, but treating them differently definitiely is. For example, the most obvious would be hating them. Another example is the person who thinks he/she is high and mighty by going against the crowd and openly sharing how much he/she respects gays and treats them better than anyone else. That person gives gays special treatment, just like those do who hate gays.
Both groups of people go out of their ways to share their opinions. The real trend is showing gays special treatment. Why gays? Why not native americans? Why not asian people? Either way you're born into the 'group'. I think it's stupid.

I'll say this again.

I do not support or disproove of gays. I give them no special treatment, only the treatment of one human being to another. I do not like the discriminiation, nor those who praise them. I respect them as people. Not as gays, but as people.

And to the second part:
Again, I show them no "Special Treatment". This is something that has recently been brought to my attention, and the article in the paper pretty much threw the matchbox in the hay barn. And also keep in mind, where I live there is no Native American hating, since a lot of people who live around here are part NA. And theres only about 2 asian people who go here, so that type of hating is very minimal.
People have been hating gays since gays have existed. It's not a trend, it seems more to be human nature.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
Quote by shreddin_frets
I'll say this again. . . .

The guy wasn't accusing you of anything, no need to defend yourself.

Anyways, I can't remember who it was I heard say this, but it really put things into perspective for me. Anal-retentive political correctness is the lesser of two evils. Special treatment of any minority combats discrimination, and anything that combats discrimination can't be all bad. There was more to it than that, but I don't want to go twisting it to the point of unclarity.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
i use gay as an insult all the time. And i use fag. But even though i know it means a homosexual person i dont mean it like that. the word has been devalued so much half the people who say it think its just an insult.
Page 1 of 4