ive noticed a bunch of my friends play power chords with their pinky, and I play them with my ring finger, which way is proper technique? i know its preference, but I was just curious what is considered 'proper'?

also is there any way to distinguish which way you should play a power chord? with fingers 1 &3 (3 fretting 2 notes), or with fingers 1 3 and 4. I know that I sometimes use each of these techniques really only because ive seen other people do them...

I am self-taught and since the beginning ive been playing power chords with my 1 3 4 fingers, but then I saw some people using their 1st and 3rd, and now 1st and 4th, just wondering if there is a particular time to use each technique?

thanks!
1 and 3 sounds "proper" im self taught too and as i recall most guitar players do the same 1 and 3. Unless you tune your guitar so you only use you 1 and 2 fingers but i havent gotten into that yet.....
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
1 and 3 should be "proper" but it's not really a big deal

As far as how power chords should be fingered, 1+3 and 1 +3+4 are both the same chord. They both produce slightly different sounds. I like to use 1+3+4 for a slightly meatier sound and I like to use 1+3 for faster rhythms and palm muting
Up the Irons
When I play power chords, I usually play the 5th and the octave, so I use my ring and pinky.

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood your post, I use 1, 3, & 4 as well.

Edit 2 : When I'm doing blues shuffle kind of stuff, where you kind of extend the chord, I only use my 1st and 2nd, though, and use 3 and/or 4 for extensions.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
Last edited by Zephyyr at Dec 9, 2007,
Depends really, but I believe 1 & 3 are right, since the frets are 1-3 different and when doing an extended power chord you can use your pinky for the 1-4 ones. Sometimes I use my pinky as well though, just because it happens. Whatever's comfortable dude.
Quote by King Jesus
1 and 3 should be "proper" but it's not really a big deal

As far as how power chords should be fingered, 1+3 and 1 +3+4 are both the same chord. They both produce slightly different sounds. I like to use 1+3+4 for a slightly meatier sound and I like to use 1+3 for faster rhythms and palm muting

It doesn't change the sound of the chord a bit. As far as proper technicality goes, 1,3and4 is the proper fingering but you can you use 1+3 (with 3 on both the A and the D or D and G, whatever it may be) but if you use 1+3+4 it is easier to add extensions on and you will be able to get a more consistent sound from each note as you make sure you are actually playing each note properley. Also, if you are just playing lots of 1,5,8ve1, chords, it is probabely comfier to take out the 4th finger.
Rolling it back, keeping it simple.

Are YOU from Curtin University?
If so, CLICK HERE!
thanks for the replies guys, i mean it isnt live or die, but its nice to get some input
I play powerchords with my pinky and index finger, I find it to be much more comfortable than playing with my ring finger and index. I also think that you can slide the powerchords around much better if you play with your pinky and index. I think John Petrucci plays powerchords with his index and pinky, but I'm not sure.