Page 1 of 2
How long did you play the guitar before you joined a band, or better yet; how long did you play before you thought you were good enough to join a band?

I've only been playing the guitar for one month so far, but I'm hoping I will be able to join one at least in 11 more months!
Last edited by NocturnalOats at Dec 9, 2007,
i joined a band the first month or so. then the band broke up two days later.

i'm now in a "real" band, and it's been about a year or so.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
umm i'd say 8 months or so.. (i have musical education from before
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Tbh a few months...Then again a few months later XD. My first proper band was about over a year after starting guitar and that lasted a good few months. Nearly 2 years on and I know I'm good enough to be in a band and I miss being in one so badly =(

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
I'd been playing guitar for a year when I took up bass, and then it was about 8 months before I was the bassist in a band, but I'd say about a year and a half is about as long as takes to know your stuff enough to play with a band properly.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I was one of those guys that started playing guitar so I could play at a battle of the bands. I started about november and the battle of the bands was april, and we started practicing in feburary. So only a few months...God we were so bad.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Quote by t3h guitar n00b
I was one of those guys that started playing guitar so I could play at a battle of the bands. I started about november and the battle of the bands was april, and we started practicing in feburary. So only a few months...God we were so bad.

Haha, that's a pretty interesting story mate. You actually did audition for it?
Quote by ThirstyWoodenWh
I was in a band, but didn't play guitar in a band for 3 years or so. Late bloomer =P

What did you do in the band before you played guitar in it, lol?
Quote by NocturnalOats
Haha, that's a pretty interesting story mate. You actually did audition for it?

Nah, just a group of friends. We thought we would be the coolest kids in school. I was the only one who didn't play an instrument beforehand and I sung as well so it wasn't so bad. Of course now i'm in a real band and I can actually play my instrument.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Been more than two years and no band (Couple of mates are always talking about making a band, but they never do and I've turned down other bands in the hope that they'd eventually actually make one )

And now it's too late Get in a band as soon as possible!
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Ive been playing for nearly 4ish years and i still don't play in a band

There aren't really any around here...so all i've been able to find is a drummer. He's really good but we need and bassist and a vocalist pretty badly.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
I'd been playing guitar for a year when I took up bass, and then it was about 8 months before I was the bassist in a band, but I'd say about a year and a half is about as long as takes to know your stuff enough to play with a band properly.

You know, I've been thinking and I think you're right man. My new goal will be to try to join a band after 1.5 years of playing. The first 6 months of playing the instrument are hell anyways I bet, so a good solid year after you get through the initial crap beginner phase sounds about right to me. Thanks for your helpful post : )
Quote by Hobolad
Been more than two years and no band (Couple of mates are always talking about making a band, but they never do and I've turned down other bands in the hope that they'd eventually actually make one )

And now it's too late Get in a band as soon as possible!

They always talk about it and never do it--sounds like a my father and a lot of my friends. You've seen the pattern so the next time another band asks you to join do it because it doesn't seem like your friends are taking it too seriously.
Quote by Ace88

There aren't really any around here...so all i've been able to find is a drummer. He's really good but we need and bassist and a vocalist pretty badly.

half done, half to go; I'm sure you will find some people--don't give up the hunt dude.
Quote by Ace88

same here, as far as any "rock" band goes

though I play my acoustic together with my accordion playing roommate
and I play my acoustic around at various partys and whatnot when the opportunity arises
and I played the trombone in the concert band back at school

but yeah, I'm not cool enough to be a rockstar
I've been playing for 2 years and i still havent been in a band! (guitar)
but i suppose i am sort of in a band playing trumpet but that was like four years after i started, though i stopped for a year and a half in between :s :s
but i think i am good enough to play in a band, but tbh i dnt really want to, i wouldnt know where to start about finding one!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

2/3 years I forget

Dont worry about it being in a band isnt the be all and end all

Although it is a lot of fun
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
First actual band took like 3 years. There are no drummers in Ayr, we only just got one so we could actually start playing together.

I mean I'd done like jam sessions and **** and tried to arrange stuff with people, but the band I'm in right now is the first one I've really written songs with etc.

And I'm actually kinda glad it took that long. It's allowed my musical tastes to grow and for me to be a competent enough guitar player to actually contribute.
well i had never played guitar b4 and i was at my one friends band practice and he was trying to like solo or something and i was thats pretty cool, let me try, and he gave it to me and i started sweeping picking arpeggios at about 300 bpm and they immediatly kicked out old guitar and let me join
After a little over a year I started playing guitar in a band, and I still don't think I'm good enough
But I know one guy who didn't know how to play guitar until he went to his first band practice, that being the rhythm guitar player of my old band.
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
Joined a band after playing for like three months. I started playing bass (that's when I started playing bass, hadn't done it seriously before) and then alterned between bass, singing and guitar.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
I've been playing 2... no, almost 3 years! Wow, time flies, seems like yesterday when I opened up that ****ty little WalMart special guitar, hah

But, I've never had a band outside of school. In school I'm one of the most musically active students in the school (4/8 Classes are Music, and last year was 3/8) though
Well the first time i performed in front of an audience was about 6months after i picked up the guitar.
I started working on setting up my band from bout 3months after i started playing the guitar.
But it took almost a year before the band got anywhere (being in med school doesn't help much with your music!).

Now its about a year n half since i've been playing the guitar. I've performed in front of an audience about 4 times. I sorta dropped out of my band. I'm working on my solo project which i'm aiming to get completed by summer.
I've been playing for 3 years and I'm still not in a band.

Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
I've had my bass for two years now, but I really didn't start playing it seriously (you know besides a few well known riffs) until last summer. But i've never been in a band per se, jammed with some friends at various coffee houses and stuff for church.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer, the future is uncertain and the end is always near. - The Doors, Roadhouse Blues
maybe a month
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
0 days
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Well, after 7 years of playing guitar I sorta formed a band with my brother, who plays bass, and one of is his friends, who drums. We jam like once a month or something, but it's not really serious or anything, so I'm still hoping to find a serious band sometime soon (cause there aren't that many musically involved people where I live).
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Its about to be a whole year in 10 days since i played guitar. I'm looking for a mother f***** band! Know one i know plays guitar but me. I need some one with enough experince of 7 months with an electric guitar. And a drummer and a bassist. Well i have a bassist but he wants to turn everything i come up with into blues. WTF?!?
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Haha...I started playing because I was drafted into a band. Had to learn reeeely fast..
Nope, no sig here.
It took a couple of years to get into a band, and then it was just a one-off thing for a talent show. I had a lot of fun, though, cause we played Money by Pink Floyd. Now I'm in a band at college. We haven't done much besides jamming a few times and starting to write some songs, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Let's see...I joined a band the day I started playing guitar. In fact, that's one of the reasons I started playing, was because I few friends said "we want to make a band and need a guitarist, learn to play?" So I did.

Naturally, the band was a miserable failure. My first band that didn't suck, which was made from half of the same people as were in the old band, came about two years after I started playing.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
2 years, got into a fun bad that wasnt really going anywhere, but it was a learning experience. then 3 years ago I got into the band im in now and we didnt really get a set group until this year.
Quote by DaliLama
Go to a friend and say "what the difference between soda and your soda?............(pause).............sperm!" Then you start masturbating furiously into their can

My gear
ESP EC1000fr
Marshall 1960a
Peavy 6505
7 months but still looking for people so its not a full fledged band yet
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Quote by MetallicGod07
Its about to be a whole year in 10 days since i played guitar. I'm looking for a mother f***** band! Know one i know plays guitar but me. I need some one with enough experince of 7 months with an electric guitar. And a drummer and a bassist. Well i have a bassist but he wants to turn everything i come up with into blues. WTF?!?

It coz blues is really easy to play on the bass IMO.
Page 1 of 2