Ok...so. I can't decide what to get next....

Right now I have $360 but ill probly have like $460-500 at christmas...or something like that.

I was thinkin the other day about using my RP250 as a guitar preamp, and my american audio 100 watt power amp to drive a cabinet.

There are some real cheap JCM 900's goin for quite cheap on Ebay (usually beat up)

OR... I could get another speaker for my PA system so you can hear the vocalist at band practice over the drums

OR... I could get a better combo amp than my marshall mg

OR... I could get some new pedals

OR... I could try swapping out the marshal mg custom speaker for a Celestion

OR... I could get better recording equipment (more mics and such

OR... I could get a new crash cymbal for my drumset + stand

OR... I could get an extension tom for my drumset

OR... I could save up to buy a fender twin amp

OR... I could save up and buy a new guitar (although mine is ahead of the rest of my equipment)

As you can see......there are a lot of options. I'm leaning toward upgrading my amp right now... as the marshall CD (with an MG speaker) is a like $100-200 amp my guitar teacher sold me...and I got for christmas my first year of guitar playing.

I play jazz, blues, rock, heavy rock, classical rock, metal, shred

versatitle (sp?)

For combo amps I was looking at the fender twins mostly...and I don't like Vox's too much because they are loaded up with too many amp modelers and such. (havn't tried out the tube classic tho $600)

Oh or I could get a subwoofer so I can shake the house with my PA system. ($500 PA system in hardware...$100 in mics...and probly like $100+ on cables...****ing speakon cables are expensive...oh and $30 on mic stands...oh and did I mention the cables?)

Aaaa!!!!! too many decisions........or...I could buy nothing at all and just keep saving..less time at guitar center more time at home...thats my moms favorite option.

I don't really play gigs....well I actually I have 1 shecueled for my school to play in the spring pep rally...

Those people are punks...I dont know if im backround music or what...they said they'll get to me 1 month in advance....I'm like what if I wanna learn a really hard song....so I'm just gonna learn crazy train and they can suck my **** if im backround music.

ANYWAY...back to desicions....

Your input appreciated.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
its all about gradually upgrading your rig. A ****ty guitar will sound better through a good amp, rather then a good guitar through a ****ty amp. If you dont gig frequently, forget about the PA, and if ur foucused on guitar forget about the tom. Dont forget to play the amp before you buy it-n btw if your good its not gonna be backround music. Theres just one thing bro-play what the people want-If your playing for your school, metallica (unless its enter sandman) isnt the way to go. Im not sayin to sell out, but keep ur mind open.
Hope this Helps
Hmmm new amp...

then what kind

half stack or combo
tube or solid state
brand

oh and sometimes I go guitar > rp250 > mixer >power amp> speaker and that sounds quite a bit better than the combo

EDIT: I am more focused on guitar than drums and ive played for 5 years
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Last edited by King_Arthur at Dec 9, 2007,
You should be looking at tube combos, 30W or less if you're mainly gonna play it at home. There are several options at your budget, so you should try to test as many as you can at your local guitar shop to see which one suits you best (especially since you play a variety of styles). The Crate V32 is worth checking out, maybe a Peavey Valveking, Fender Blues Junior, etc.
if you gig definatlety a half stack, if your at home combos are the way to go. If you can go for the tubes, the difference in sound is huge.
Quote by rocknskate4
if you gig definatlety a half stack, if your at home combos are the way to go.

No no no no no

You're so wrong.
If you gig, go with a combo.
If your playing at home, go with a combo.
TUBE TUBE TUBE!
You really, really need a new amp.

Quote by King_Arthur
I play jazz, blues, rock, heavy rock, classical rock, metal, shred

versatitle (sp?)

For combo amps I was looking at the fender twins mostly...and I don't like Vox's too much because they are loaded up with too many amp modelers and such. (havn't tried out the tube classic tho $600)

The Twin is not a versatile amp. It's a big, LOUD, blues machine. I don't think it's what you should be looking at at all.

If you think Valvetronix=Vox, you are seriously misinformed. The AC30CC is an awesome amp that's closer to what you need than the Twin, but still not quite there.

How much metal/shred are you playing? That's really the wildcard. If that's the majority of what you do, maybe something like a Randall, B-52, or Valveking might be in order. A new VK's within your budget, the other two are close.

If you're more classic rock and blues, and content to get your high gain from a pedal, a Peavey Classic 30/50, or a Traynor YCV 40/50 would be a better direction to go in. You'd have to look for them used, but that's the way to get the most for your money, anyway, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You really, really need a new amp.

The Twin is not a versatile amp. It's a big, LOUD, blues machine. I don't think it's what you should be looking at at all.

If you think Valvetronix=Vox, you are seriously misinformed. The AC30CC is an awesome amp that's closer to what you need than the Twin, but still not quite there.

How much metal/shred are you playing? That's really the wildcard. If that's the majority of what you do, maybe something like a Randall, B-52, or Valveking might be in order. A new VK's within your budget, the other two are close.

If you're more classic rock and blues, and content to get your high gain from a pedal, a Peavey Classic 30/50, or a Traynor YCV 40/50 would be a better direction to go in. You'd have to look for them used, but that's the way to get the most for your money, anyway, IMHO.

As far as the shred goes I can probly get a decent tone with my metal muff + a sustainer (my strat doesn't have a lot of sustain) on most amps.

I do mostly rock/blues stuff. So I guess I should check out those two amps you mentioned...That'll probly be tricky finding one I can play.

Oh and btw all the vox amps were valvetronix so yea.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.