So i've done my classical grade 3 (pass with disitinction 91/100) And I am thinking about doing a rockschool exam. I have NEVER had an electric guitar teacher but I think that I am alright at the moment, an I may be swapping my classical lessons for rock after christmas. Can anyone suggest what grade to do and maybe give me some info on what you do in the exam? Like songs and exercises...
Thanks
Ive only done grade 5.

I had to do 3 pieces, theres a few songs you can choose in the rockschool books, though you can choose a different song if you really want to.

Theres exercises too. In grade 5 I just had to play the pentatonic scale in a bunch of different positions. Theres was a test on playing arpeggios too. No crazy sweep licks or nothing, just getting the shape/technique etc. Also had the choice of a sight reading test or improvising over a chord progression.

Theres a couple of simple general knowledge questions too, for example naming a few guitar brands. Thats all I remember.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by guitar12
Is sidewinder in the book?

I'm doing that one for my grade 5 its actually a cool song
SIG
The rockschool books are easy, but fun too. The tracks are well written and the notation (both in tab and actual standard notation) is awesome.

I'd try grade 5 if you've just done 3.

I'm on 8
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Im doing grade 6 guitar performance certificate , which means all i have to do is 5 pieces. some of the pieces in the book really rock though. musement park(the song) sounds so much like muse i though matt bellamy recorded it.
my advice: GO FOR IT
And no the cd is quite good quality- enough to transefer the tracks on to my ipod
I passed grade 4. I had to do a piece called 'Rage Against Everything' that was in the style of Rage Against The Machine. It was actually a really good song...it's main riff was brilliant. I'm currently working on Grade 5

You might aswell have a go. I heard a lot of people say that there wasn't really any great differences between grade 3, 4 + 5.
Last edited by Ben Wright at Dec 21, 2007,
Ive just done Grade 4 and i scraped a merit. I think they are really good as they help you build technique and stuff gradually. If you get a teacher they will give you other stuff to do that helps you build technique.

Me and my teacher are working through some Satriani stuff at the moment. ive just finished learning Midnight, and now im learning Always With Me, Always With You

I wanted to skip Grade 5, and move to 6 but my teacher says its better to skip from 6 to 8
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by CrowLord
Ive just done Grade 4 and i scraped a merit. I think they are really good as they help you build technique and stuff gradually. If you get a teacher they will give you other stuff to do that helps you build technique.

Me and my teacher are working through some Satriani stuff at the moment. ive just finished learning Midnight, and now im learning Always With Me, Always With You

I wanted to skip Grade 5, and move to 6 but my teacher says its better to skip from 6 to 8

Thats a really good song and has to be my favorite at the moment. It has some brillaint technical playing in. Good luck learning it.
I passed grade 7

There all pretty easy songs. The improvising bits are the best, you can just hammer out whatever you want as long as its in key.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by guitar12
Is sidewinder in the book?

Hah thats a great tune. thats in the grade 5 right? i did Alka sezter All funked up and X blues III
now im takin grade 7, its all good
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
if anyone has the books in there possetion you should tab them out in powertab or something and put them up here.

It would be good for people to determine there skill levels.

Quote by apmaman
if anyone has the books in there possetion you should tab them out in powertab or something and put them up here.

It would be good for people to determine there skill levels.

im might do a few of the grade 5s when i get some spare time.
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Quote by Oasis-fanatic

awesome!

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

I would greatly apprectiate it if you did!
Actually the song Hugo Bossa on my profile is a complete cover I did for my higher Sound Engineering. (the old books Pre 2006)

The guitar part has been spiced up alot but the rest is pretty much identical, apart from the bongo drums

Quote by apmaman
Actually the song Hugo Bossa on my profile is a complete cover I did for my higher Sound Engineering. (the old books Pre 2006)

The guitar part has been spiced up alot but the rest is pretty much identical, apart from the bongo drums

Thats grade 4 right?
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist