Hi, i recently bought a Jackson RX10D Body off ebay. I want to fit it with a Jackson DK2 24 Fret neck, as most of you may know, the RX10D is made for a 22 Fret Neck. I was wondering if it we're possible for me to fit the the 24 fret neck in, I really dont need the neck pickup and i'm willing to sacrifice it, would the intonation be correct if i just make the Neck Pocket Deeper to compensate for the 24 Fret neck?, will the intonation be correct?, and also i'm ready to modify the body for more fret access to the 24 frets.
Nope, you'll screw up intonation.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
hmm.. would it be easier to buy a Jackson js30RR which comes with a 24 Fret Neck stock, and fit the DK2 neck into that instead, but the tradeoff would be the Floyd, and i can't go w out my OFR, would there be a way to Convert the String Thru to a OFR bridge?
dude dont listen to erofear , you can do it you just need to take out the neck pickup and it shall work if it dont u might have to route out more neck pocket and id sugest filling in the neck pickup slot with wood cuz otherwise that gap will look horible but i think u got a good plan
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I would look into Warmoth. They should be able to make you a quality 24-fret body that should be able to fit the DK2 neck. Jus try emailing them or something.

edit to the poster above: Erosfear is the OP you silly noodle.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by t heff
dude dont listen to erofear , you can do it you just need to take out the neck pickup and it shall work if it dont u might have to route out more neck pocket and id sugest filling in the neck pickup slot with wood cuz otherwise that gap will look horible but i think u got a good plan

Lol, I am erosfear. yeah, i've got some Minwax Wood filler dunno if that'll do the trick to patch up the Neck pickup remaining cavity. I'll sand that off and i'm gonna Give it a few more coats of Black Gloss Lacquer so it should take care of that. , And as for Warmoth, i tryed gettin a Randy style body from them, but they can't replicate it Per Se. As for the Neck, i msgd them about it and here's what they replied:

"Unfortunately I don’t think our neck will work with your body. You will need to check with the information in the following link:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=faq2

Best regards,

Rob Rounds"
Well, happy measuring

Btw, if you're gonna end up filling the neck pup cavity.. try to fill it as much as possible with real (tone)wood, rather than plunking a huge gob of wood filler in there.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Do you guys think i can actually pull it off?, I'm about to buy the DK-2 neck , im hoping the Heel width on the DK2 (2 1/4") is the same as the stock RX10D so that i can slide it in easy, otherwise i'll have to make more modifications to the body, thanx
Quote by Kanthras
Well, happy measuring

Btw, if you're gonna end up filling the neck pup cavity.. try to fill it as much as possible with real (tone)wood, rather than plunking a huge gob of wood filler in there.

u mean like a mix of sawdust and Wood filler?, or an actual piece of Alder or Maple?
An actual piece of alder/maple would be best

If the heel width is bigger than the neck pocket width, you're gonna have to route it out a bit more. That's gonna be hard to pull of very precisely, you'd probably need a routing template.

If it's too small, that's gonna be annoying to fill

Both by no means impossible, but you might have a bit of a job on your hands.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Thanx all, i'll give it a shot and post some pics of my progress. If u guys have anymore ideas please let me know.
Lol, I am erosfear. QUOTE] hahahahaha i tottaly didn't see that 1 coming

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Dude, it won't work. It won't fit for one. and two you're intonation will be screwed up because the bridge will be too far back.
It wont work even if i get rid of the neck pick up and slip the neck in farther down towards the bridge???, Is this in theory or also in practice?. Please stop me if you think im gonna waste my $. Thanx
Quote by Erosfear
It wont work even if i get rid of the neck pick up and slip the neck in farther down towards the bridge???, Is this in theory or also in practice?. Please stop me if you think im gonna waste my $. Thanx

Nope. On a tru 24 fret neck, the physical neck is longer. This means when you install it, the (for example) 12th fret falls in a different spot then it would if you were putting a 22 fret neck in. To compensate for this, companies move the bridge up. Of course there is the obvious issue of the neck pickup. You can extend the pocket, but this does not work well as then it can be unstable unless you add extra screws, and even then that may not work well due to how the heel of the neck is designed. Even then I would not be 100% of structural stability or if it would work, as it would need to be EXACT. So yeah, I would highly advise not doing it.
Hmm.. i've looked all over for the Jackson R10, basically an RX10D but with 24 Frets, that would of made my job a whole lot simpler just swap the neck (5 min job), but Jackson had to go a mess it up for me and every1 else that wants an inexpensive 24 fret RR.. The other option i was exploring was to buy a Jackson JS30RR and somehow get rid of the String Thru bridge and Routing it for an OFR, i know its possible , but will it be more complex and will i be wasting my time and money trying?. Thanx
Also, what do you guys suggest i use to Do a slight Cutaway of the RX10D body for better Fret access, will sanding do it?
dude for the last time u can make it work the phisical spot diffrence **** is just if u dont line it up right and yea a slight cutaway would be dank

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
dude for the last time u can make it work the phisical spot diffrence **** is just if u dont line it up right and yea a slight cutaway would be dank

Lol, t heff you just want me to start the damn project already to see pics dont you?. To tell you the truth i want to start it ASAP, now i just gotta wait for the DK2 neck to arrive.
And yeah im def gonna give it a Cutaway, but i dunno what to use to cut it, any ideas??
I'm also ordering a can of Sanding Sealer just to seal the cutaway area and then apply the Black lacquer Layer, followed by a few coats of Clear lacquer.
well depending on how much wood depends on how durastic, are u thinknig of just slimming that area down or acutaly making a cutaway?

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182