i need some help. i want to compose a piece for my mom for christmas, no lyrics, just guitar. and i really dont know how, ive been playing 2 years so itd be nice if someone could help me.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
Have you never written a piece of music before ? And you've been playing two years?
There is poetry in despair.
ive never written a piece of music before, i just need help making an acoustic piece for electric guitar for my moms christmas because itd mean alot to me
Quote by NGD1313

just play it live...
or
if you are looking to record have a look at the recording sticky at the top of the page.

oh you're talking about the whole piece itself..
umm...just start with some lyrics (thats the hardest part for me)
and start with some music ideas that would fit the lyrics.
make some transactions or "Bridges" in the piece, some main riffs, intro, outro...

I think Tweaks message board has something on lyrics so you may want to check that board out.
see my sig for a link.
theres no lyrics in the song, just an acoustical piece like buckethead's for mom song.
Quote by NGD1313

so no lyrics makes it even easier. I suggest just playing some low songs on guitar and maybe recording some parts to layer two guitars for more interesting sounds.

All I can really suggest is trying to play something slow but unique.
Thats what I do all the time..just play what I feel should be played and record it.
do you know anything about theory? if not, than there's no chance.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
no i know nothing about theory, all i know is chords, some scales, and other stuff
Quote by NGD1313

anyone else?
Quote by NGD1313

Learn proper grammar first. Then I'll help you.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
What do you mean proper grammar? I'm using what my teachers taught me.
Quote by NGD1313

Quote by Gorre
i need some help. i want to compose a piece for my mom for christmas, no lyrics, just guitar. and i really dont know how, ive been playing 2 years so itd be nice if someone could help me.

Quote by fixed
I need some help; I want to compose a piece for my mom for Christmas without any lyrics, just guitar. I am not sure how to start writing music but I've been playing for two years now and it'd be nice if someone could help me.

My version of the post seems a little more clear and it's how I would have laid it out.
Quote by seek_&_destroy
do you know anything about theory? if not, than there's no chance.

You retard.
There is poetry in despair.
Let me just say that I know nothing about theory but it doesn't stop me from making songs. My songs may not be anything great but they are good enough to me and I've had many friends from school compliment my songs.
im having musicians block
Quote by NGD1313

Quote by nodnod
My bassist doesn't know any theory at all but she knows what sounds good and what sounds like it works. She writes half the melodies in our band while I write the other half and do know theory.

Book knowledge is great..but it ends at the book. The bottom line is, if it sounds good, then all the theoretical knowledge in the world ain't going to make it any better. Besides most rock music totally flies in the face of traditional music theory.

Tony (let's just say I have a couple of pieces of paper on wall that's says I'm supposed to know something about theory...)
Well if it's for a Christmas song, you want something happy right? Just find a couple of Major chords you like, and go from there, finding a nice chord progression is always the start of writing a song for me.