right now i play teh guitar, bass, organ piano, trumpet and some/little harmonica.

i was thinking about picking up the violin

is it difficult to play and learn?
and is it at all similar to the guitar?
WOO
Youll need, as opposed to guitar, bass and other instruments, a teacher to develop right technique... Its one of the harder instruments to learn
Odds are, are that it will take quite a bit more practice to be decent at.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I think it's not at all like guitar. Also, I think you pretty much need a teacher, but I think there was someone in here who played violin and was self-taught? Try searching, there was a topic about it like a month ago or something (wait until the search bar works again).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
The thing with the violin is that it's a very unforgiving instrument, it's very hard to play something that sounds good at the very beginning even with simple tunes, unlike a guitar or a bass where it's relatively simple to learn a simple tune that you recognise/like. I'd recommend a teacher, and a lot of perserverence (sp?). I quit after a year when i was younger becasue no matter how much I tried i couldn't play the tunes I like.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by theguitarplayin
do it man. im gonna do that too. i think its the first 4 strings of a guitar just in reverse order.

no it's tuned in 5ths, so it's GDAE
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Yeah its hard. Like Sinan said.... its a very unforgiving instrument. If you want to do it though you should, but beware that doing too many things instrument wise, may lead to not having enough time to do any of them very well. Youll have to be the judge of that though, if you have the time, and the desire... go for it.
shred is gaudy music
dude, seriously i wouldn't bother, it's not something you just pick up.

Ever heard the expression "jack of all trades?" Don't be one, focus one what you can do and get better. Drop an instrument altogether for a year, you'd be surprised how little you forget..I dropped the flute about a year ago and taken it back again, Im doin grade 8 after a month. Try it.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
the hardest part about a violin is the bowing technique. i play a violin and it really wasn't that hard to pick up. i actually cheat a little and have it tuned EADG. it works because i tend to play psychobilly, folk-punk, and metal, but it makes bowing a little harder.
just start off with really simply tunes until you can bow without screeching, scraping, sliding, and generally making a lot of unpleasant noise. once you have that down the rest is quite easy.
I know a few people who have tried to pick up the violin in high school by joining the Orchestra, but ultimately dropped it because it is very hard for alot of people to pick up the bowing technique, even with prior musical knowledge. You can try, but don't expect to just pick it up.
12 fret fury
I was thinking of learning Cello (Much cooler than Violin I reckon). But I decided to just focus on guitar and keyboard/piano, for the reason Munky gave. Besides, I'm too poor to afford all these instruments that take my fancy!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I've played it since 5th Grade and I blow at it. Partially because I lack interest in it, but also because it's a really fucking hard instrument to play.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Its a very expressive instrument and theres alot to be learnt i would say its hard, and thats cos ive played it too