Okay, I got a dilemma. But I'm not sure if it really is that much of an dilemma. I have been playing bass for around 1 year, during which 6 months were' pretty inactive. during the last 5 months I have been in 2 serious bands, although one of them I joined only 2 months ago. Seeing as both projects are serious, I practice every night in the week with those different bands, ussually 2 hour passes. So, 10 hours of bandtraining, plus my daily 1hour+ practice(scales, fingerexercises and such) = 17 hours of music a week. Plus some more considering I play more hours during weekends, and sometimes we will take fulltime days with the most serious band for 6-8 hours a day in the weekends.. What I wonder about this is quite simple; is it enough for me to practice? Is it too little?

This also leads me to another question, about learning covers. I realise it's good to have a large knowledge of cover-tunes, for whatever situation may arise, and of course I know some beginner covers like Nirvana, ACDC, Black Sabbath and so on. But what I can't seem to focus on is learning new songs. I can sit down with a song like...Paranoid for example, and even thoughs it's probably an easy song, I just don't find the will or energy to spend on actually sitting down and getting it. Is this a huge problem for me? Will I loose out on very much if I don't learn covers, but instead sit down and do scales and excercises?

It should be noted that I usually get, alongside excercises, two songs a week from my music teachers.

Thanks for answers.
Last edited by Strati at Dec 9, 2007,
That's a lot of music =P

By not learning other people's songs, you won't have the benefit of learning how to integrate their cool licks into your playing. I have that motivational problem too. I can't learn a song all the way through. I just pick the cool parts I wanna learn, and sort of figure out how they work in my playing. A benefit of not learning other people's stuff is that over time you might end up with a really interesting sound, being isolated from other influences. Its a trade off, and the balance between the 2 extremes is up to you =)
Quote by Strati
Okay, I got a dilemma. But I'm not sure if it really is that much of an dilemma. I have been playing bass for around 1 year, during which 6 months were' pretty inactive. during the last 5 months I have been in 2 serious bands, although one of them I joined only 2 months ago. Seeing as both projects are serious, I practice every night in the week with those different bands, ussually 2 hour passes. So, 10 hours of bandtraining, plus my daily 1hour+ practice(scales, fingerexercises and such) = 17 hours of music a week. Plus some more considering I play more hours during weekends, and sometimes we will take fulltime days with the most serious band for 6-8 hours a day in the weekends.. What I wonder about this is quite simple; is it enough for me to practice? Is it too little?

This also leads me to another question, about learning covers. I realise it's good to have a large knowledge of cover-tunes, for whatever situation may arise, and of course I know some beginner covers like Nirvana, ACDC, Black Sabbath and so on. But what I can't seem to focus on is learning new songs. I can sit down with a song like...Paranoid for example, and even thoughs it's probably an easy song, I just don't find the will or energy to spend on actually sitting down and getting it. Is this a huge problem for me? Will I loose out on very much if I don't learn covers, but instead sit down and do scales and excercises?

It should be noted that I usually get, alongside excercises, two songs a week from my music teachers.

Thanks for answers.

You definately should learn & practice songs. what kind of songs does your teacher give you ? I would suggest finding songs that you are inspired to play and work on those.
I dont have the will or energy to work on songs that I dont really care for, or are boring to me.... but if I work on something that inspires me.... it always fun, and I end up improving, and learning things.
shred is gaudy music
I have that same problem, I'll tell myself that I'm going to learn this whole song, then I'll learn the intro and just get bored and start making up my own stuff. Maybe this is a good thing, because one of my buddies is an amazing guitar player, he can pretty much play whatever he wants note for note: Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert stuff, etc., but I am a lot better at improvising than he is. So... I don't really know where I was going with this

Songs can help you learn theory, I will look at tabs of songs just to see exactly what's going on there, and then I'll try to include any new ideas I find in my own improvising.
Well, my teacher gives me beginner stuff mostly. Hip to Be Square, Q-Stone(blues), Blindside etc. Stuff like that. I also play with other people once a week in schoolprojects, where we play everything from Coldplay to Carlos Santana. So, I mean...I guess you could say beginner songs. I have only played seriously for 6 months. I guess I can ask my bassteacher to give me songs that I like, I guess.
instead of trying to learn the entire song, just pick out the parts that you really like and get them first. this is really cool for songs that you won't have to perform and is probably the most satisfying way to learn.
If I don't practice 1 hour a day then? I mean, I play everyday, but sometimes In just feel like **** and I don't do 1 hour of playing. Anyone else having the problem of feeling REALLY bad when going to bed because you haven't had your 1h/day play?