Quote by ldnovelo
is this a true ESP? its just 51 (fifty one) USD. how do i know it isnt fake?

That's low even for an LTD.

The guide to telling a fake ESP from a real one:

-Does it say LTD or just ESP?

-Is it from China?

-What is the sellers feedback?

-If they sell/have sold other guitars as well, how do they look?

-Is the shipping substantially higher than the cost of the guitar?

-What is the condition of the instrument?

-Do they give a model number?

-If not, try to find it.

-Is everything right (hardware, pickups, finish, general shape, logo etc.)?

-Keep in mind some parts may have been swapped out, although that's usually mentioned in the description.

Edit: the link is now up.

For a genuine ESP that would be incredibly low and the Floyd looks a bit odd.

One thing that I find interesting is that the body looks pretty new, with no corosion visible, whilst the headstock and locking nut seem much older.

It's this guitar (although this is the Edwards version):

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Dec 9, 2007,
Just because it's $51 now doesn't mean it won't jump in the last two minutes. Unless it's a buy it now price, you can't judge the value by the bidding.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Contact the seller and ask him to take a close-up of the serial number on the guitar (so that he can't look up a serial number of a real ESP and give you that) and then use the number to verify if it's the real deal or not.

And like Sid McCall said, it could jump, so watch out for that.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Sid McCall
Just because it's $51 now doesn't mean it won't jump in the last two minutes. Unless it's a buy it now price, you can't judge the value by the bidding.

Agreed. That said I'm on the fence about this. The headstock looks rather odd. Next, that Floyd looks really weird as well. Third, it can't be from the '60s or '70s. Why? Because its a copy of the Charvel Star, which didn't come out until around 1982. Something very shady about it for sure.
ESP didn't start making guitars until 1976, so the guy is definitely misinformed about the statement he made, "his guitar is from the 60s or 70s for sure".

Also, I have a hard time believing it's from the early days of ESP because of the ugly ass 80's body style. It also looks way too clean to be an older instrument.
If you ask me, it's either some no-name low quality guitar, or an 80's-ish ESP, or even an 80's-ish ESP Explorer that has been murdered and repainted (because the paint looks alot newer than the bridge, pickups,etc.)

Other than that, can't help you. You can probably email the guy and ask him if there are any numbers on the guitar, and then ask some ESP-Informed people about it.
2003 Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts
2006 Epiphone 66' Re-Issue SG
1980's USA Fender Stratocaster w/ 50's Gibson Humbucker
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Amplifier
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amplifier
Peavey Basic 50 Amplifier
Pod XT Pro
Three days is a long time on Ebay...
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Quote by CJRocker
Agreed. That said I'm on the fence about this. The headstock looks rather odd. Next, that Floyd looks really weird as well. Third, it can't be from the '60s or '70s. Why? Because its a copy of the Charvel Star, which didn't come out until around 1982. Something very shady about it for sure.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/akira_takasaki/index.html

This is alink to the ESP and Edwards versions.

if you ask me, the guitar up for bids is an older ESP neck with an Edwards body.

It even looks as if they replaced the OFR with something else.

I think that's the only way to explain the difference in wear between the almost new body and old neck.
it must be fake... or its just reaaaaally beaten up... but i dont think so... theres something about that guitar that doesnt seem right. dont buy it... save some more money and get a real esp (or ltd)
Quote by beckyjc
Er there's 3 days left on it. Do you people not know how eBay works?

seriously. ebay = last 2 minutes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
apparently its an akira takasaki sig model so it's from 1981 at the earliest as that's when Loudness was formed.

all of his auctions start at $3 and have no reserve, so the low price is just because it's got a while left.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
apparently its an akira takasaki sig model so it's from 1981 at the earliest as that's when Loudness was formed.

all of his auctions start at $3 and have no reserve, so the low price is just because it's got a while left.

Yup, but the neck is probably the only bit from that area.

Again, he most likely bought an old neck of Ebay and stuck it on an Edwards.

One thing though, is that there's a piece of metal missing from the lower left point (under the input).
Does the headstock say BSP?
Couldn't help but look at that closely =/ I don't know though, maybe it does say esp..
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yup, but the neck is probably the only bit from that area.

Again, he most likely bought an old neck of Ebay and stuck it on an Edwards.

One thing though, is that there's a piece of metal missing from the lower left point (under the input).

the locking nut allen key things are just about as rusted as the ones on the actual trem itself and the pickups look old.

there's nothing more to suggest that the neck is older than the body other than the worn paint on the headstock.

EDIT: The headstock says ESP but I can see why you might think it says BSP.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Dec 9, 2007,
its an akira takasaki sig model, an early one before he started his own company Killer Guitars, really nice guitars play well and sound solid if you playing more 80s style guitar. but its legit
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by Lemoninfluence
the locking nut allen key things are just about as rusted as the ones on the actual trem itself and the pickups look old.

there's nothing more to suggest that the neck is older than the body other than the worn paint on the headstock.

EDIT: The headstock says ESP but I can see why you might think it says BSP.

This:

looks much newer than this:

Or at least I think it does.

On the other hand, the headstock is usually the part of a guitar that's most damaged/worn, with the exception of vintage or heavily used instruments. Also, the back of the neck looks pretty good, but still.