Hey, I'm new to this forum(not forums in general).

I was wondering, I'm looking to upgrade from my current guitar to a slightly better guitar. I currently have a Fender Starcaster, it's basically a starter guitar, I got it for $200, which I think is too much for it's worth. The E string rings, the distortion on the amp that it came with is horrible, ALOT of feedback on tone positions on 1,3, and 5.

I was looking online, and two guitars that caught my eye were the Epiphone Les Paul, and the Epiphone SG. I've been playing guitar and taking lessons for a little under a year. I mostly play metal, punk, and rock.

Now my question is, how much money would I have to spend for the guitar I'm buying to be an improvement over my Starcaster?

Thanks =D
A Fender Strat, even a Standard, is a great guitar. Are you sure it's not a Squire? And is it HSS?

If you're having a problem with the sound, then it's the amp that you need to upgrade. It accounts for a LOT more of the sound than the guitar itself does. How much are you willing to spend?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Anything is better than a Starcaster. Honestly. You could buy a Fender standard Strat for like $300 something.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by mafropetee
A Fender Strat, even a Standard, is a great guitar. Are you sure it's not a Squire? And is it HSS?

If you're having a problem with the sound, then it's the amp that you need to upgrade. It accounts for a LOT more of the sound than the guitar itself does. How much are you willing to spend?

starcaster not stratocaster
Looked at the Squier Strat? Squier's a fender sub-brand, and the strat is really nice. I should be getting it soon, but I played it over at Guitar Center and loved it. You should try it out. You can also go there and try out the Epiphones, if you want... I didn't like those as much for some reason.
Oh. Oops. I misread that. Yeah, Starcasters suck.

But you should still look into a better amp first, especially since you said the distortion on yours sucks.
You can get an epiphone sg or les paul for like $250 or so at gc, and esp mh starting at like $350 or something... all those are good.
Ya, I said it...

I'm a beast... you can't deny it.
The amp's just a crappy 15W Fender with a Volume knob, a Tone knob, and a Bass knob. That's it, but it has a distortion button you can press.

Honestly, I've played a Squier Strat, two of my friends have it, and I didn't really like it.
I got my Fender Showmaster for $600, it's great for playing any of those genres. No complaints, it played perfectly from the day I got it. I've been playing for about three years...

but I suppose you can't go wrong with an Epiphone Les Paul or a Strat
The most I can probably spend is $300. I could possibly get that money from Christmas and for getting into my high school(easy). Right now, I've got close to $100.
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
The amp's just a crappy 15W Fender with a Volume knob, a Tone knob, and a Bass knob. That's it, but it has a distortion button you can press.

Honestly, I've played a Squier Strat, two of my friends have it, and I didn't really like it.

Well, that's opinion. Try out the ones you're looking at sometime.
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93

Then you definitely need a new amp. Unless you absolutely can't stand the feel and playability of your guitar, more so than the sound.

A Vox AD30VT-XL would be good for what you play, and will improve the sound 20398471902378143 times more than a new guitar can.
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
How much would such an amp cost?

My friend just got a 15W Marshall, and he says the sound is really great.

If that happens to be a Marshall MG or AVT series, ignore your friend because he either hasn't played through anything better, or is completely tone deaf.

A Vox AD30VT-XL runs right at the $300 mark. The Roland Cube 30x, which is another good amp (yet doesn't sound quite as good as the Vox, IMO) is around $230.
Roland mini cube : 125

Squier strat: 200

Mods for squier strat: 50-200

End result: Over 9000 times better than what you had before.
I don't even shred
If I were to get any guitar, and buy new pickups, would my local guitar store change the pickups for me? They've got a repair shop.
i myself had an epiphone SG special series and i say its good for beginners
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks