Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone, I need a little help choosing an amp. I want a tube amp between 500 and 1000 dollars, 30 watt- 60 watt, 2 channels (preferably). It needs to have a good classic rock tone, but the ability to get higher gain if needed. any suggestions?
VOX AC30CC2, Pretty Damn Good Amp For Classic Rock

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
*moved*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Vox AC30
Orange Tiny Terror or Rocker 30 (If you dont mind paying a little more)
Epiphone Blues Custom
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
For $1000 you can get a Rivera Pubster 45. I haven't gotten the chance to try it myself, but it's gotten excellent reviews. All other Rivera amps I've tried have been awesome, very versatile.
The AC30's a great amp, but it essentially behaves like a one channel amp, and now sells for $1200.

Peavey Classic 30/50/Delta Blues and the Traynor YCV 40/50 are always great choices. As a Clapton fan, you may prefer a Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe or a Vibrolux.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
He did say he wanted an amp that could go a bit higher gain when needed, so although the AC30 is my favourite amp, I wouldn't suggest it for this case.

What kind of classic rock are we talking here? That's a HUGE generalisaton, as in my mind classic rock starts in the 60s with bands like the Beatles, Yardbirds and whatnot, and goes until the early 80s with Van Halen, with all sorts of bands like Zeppelin, ACDC, and UFO in the middle, all with hugely different levels of gain and tone.
Blues junior is excellent, the only reason i didnt say that is that it is 15 watts and one channel. If you dont mind a little less volume you could get that and an awesome OD pedal (Fulltone OCD or Barber pedal) for around 600 total
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by slatsmania
The AC30's a great amp, but it essentially behaves like a one channel amp, and now sells for $1200.

Peavey Classic 30/50/Delta Blues and the Traynor YCV 40/50 are always great choices. As a Clapton fan, you may prefer a Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe or a Vibrolux.

a blus deluxe doesn't exaclty have great OD... and if you need to crank it to get OD, it's loud as hell... as a gigging amp and a pedal it could suit him for Clapton though.
Vox AC30 CC2-great for classic rock, amazing cleans but really only has one channel (IMO you don't actually need 2 channels anyway, you just have to learn to use your volume knob) Also as mentioned earlier a Traynor YCV 40 or 50 would be great. Real nice fender-esque clean channel with great OD and quite a bit more gain than the AC30
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
thanks for the info guys. in response to timmypages question, I would like to be able to give cream/zeppelin/rolling stones tone,but also be able to get a bit more of an early metal tone like randy rhoads. so were talking mostly mid 60's to mid 70's. oh, and do you guys know anything about kustom amps?
yes i have a kustom coupe 36....absolutly BADASS tones for the 400$ i spent on it...canadian dollars btw...and it sounds bland at low levels but at half volume holy craaaaap...and if u do play metal an eq pedal with boost will easily get u there...i HIGHLY reccomend this amp if you can get it on ebay
Used Orange Rocker 30 (would fit PERFECTLY!). I play classic rock and I use one and it's perfect. But it has quite some gain, so you can definetly get the RR sounds.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Peavey Classic 30/50 is definitely worth a try, I just gone mine and it takes care of distortion pretty dang well.
Vox AC30, Palomino, or Peavey Classic will all suit you.
A windsor may do some good too.
is the palamino any good though? I've heard a lot about how crappy crate products are...
thats the thing, I wouldn't want anything that has 2 12 inch speakers, just one, so it's more portable.
30w - 60w? There's a blackheart head it has a push-pull dual mode amplifier head: At class AB, it can switch between 100w and 50w, while in class A can switch between 60w and 30w

Model is BH100H. Not sure when that one comes out, but i'm guessing it's going to be $650 for the head alone http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/amps.htm

not sure how much a fullstack would be
Classic 30 Is hard to bet for the price, and with a nice OD can get pretty high gain sound, very marshally with an OD IMO.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Marshall 100 amp. That was THE amp back in the 60's with Hendrix, Clapton, etc. EVERYONE back then wanted one, including myself. AC30's would also be my choice for British-invasion type sound.
DON'T GET THE AC30CC2

when you turn it up it makes weird harmonics that are ugly ugly ugly sounding. You should go with the 1 speaker AC30 because the speaker in that is better than the ****ty Wharfdales in the AC30CC2. That is if you get an AC30 at all.
Quote by thebrewfan
DON'T GET THE AC30CC2

when you turn it up it makes weird harmonics that are ugly ugly ugly sounding. You should go with the 1 speaker AC30 because the speaker in that is better than the ****ty Wharfdales in the AC30CC2. That is if you get an AC30 at all.

it might be your tubes
^Its not the tubes. Its the speakers. I tried out 3 different AC30CC2s and they all did the same thing. Its called cone cry. Some speakers do it and some don't. The wharfdales do.
Quote by gnr_axeman74
yes i have a kustom coupe 36....absolutly BADASS tones for the 400$ i spent on it...canadian dollars btw...and it sounds bland at low levels but at half volume holy craaaaap...and if u do play metal an eq pedal with boost will easily get u there...i HIGHLY reccomend this amp if you can get it on ebay

agreed, i always forget about it. doesn't help that it's really dear here and i forget it's good value in the US and canada.

the ones slats mentioned would be a good call too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thebrewfan
^Its not the tubes. Its the speakers. I tried out 3 different AC30CC2s and they all did the same thing. Its called cone cry. Some speakers do it and some don't. The wharfdales do.

must be bad luck then because I've never heard bad wharfedales that cry.
Quote by clapton_fan
okay, I've got 1 question...
is there anything bad about the peavey classic 30?

Its model name isn't the Peavey Classic 1337?
If you have high output humbuckers, the Tiny Terror will go a long way, especially with a boost pedal.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by Gutch220
must be bad luck then because I've never heard bad wharfedales that cry.

Its only apparent when you play leads high up on the neck and you turn it up really really loud.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Something like a Traynor YCV40 with KT77's or a YCV50 Blue would be a good idea. Look used, and you should be able to snag one for around 400-600 bucks.

What country do you live in?

Canada.
Page 1 of 2