Well i jsut started playing guitar and dont know what chords are common so that i can practice switching them fast, could anyone please give me a list of them?
A, C,D,E,G Major are the most common ones, at least to me. You also will want to learn a few Minors. After you learn those try learning some Barre chords like F.
All of them

I'm sure you know power chords

|1|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|3|4|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|

Which are movable
the root note is where your index finger is

check the UG lessons
I don't even shred
I consider all all Major and Minor chords common, 7 chords you'll find alot too.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Start with all the basic open chords. A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, G, F
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
A good song for the season you might want to try to build your chords is "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon considering it's that season and it's also his anniversary sometime around now.
Thanks, ill thry what you guys said thanks for your help, its always good. ye his death anniversery was last thursday or this thursday i believe.
I suggest learning all of the majors (A-G) and also minors. Maybe B7 too.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.
try E, A, Am, D, C, Em, and G for ur first basics. if u dont play acustic tho, u wont hav 2 use thoes as much. and F is definatly a hard chord for me.
Definitely practice the open chords first. A good way to practice chord strumming & chord switching is to do a combination. Heres a good one:

G, Em, c, dmaj, Em. If you figure out a good rythymic strumming pattern, it's a great rythym.
It depends on what style of guitar and it varies from one guitar player to the next. For example, Metal/Hard Rock chords are not that important (in fact, in Troy Stetina's book, chords don't even appear until near the end of Rhythm Book 1). Then, any style of guitar that uses an alternative tuning other than dropping or capoing all the strings at the standard intervals has its own set of chord patterns.

Even if you have all the common open chords mastered perfectly, it is of no help to play "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin or "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones. It depends on what you want to play, as to what techniques are actually going to be most helpful.
E, Em, E7, A, Am, C, G, G7, D, D7
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by 2Kind
A, C,D,E,G Major are the most common ones, at least to me. You also will want to learn a few Minors. After you learn those try learning some Barre chords like F.

I think it's a good idea to learn all the basic chords and their sevenths. C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C
and minors Cm,Dm,Em,Fm,Gm,Am,Bm,Cm. And # means the chord is moved one fret up the neck, b means one fret down. (mostly useful with barre)

I think it's important to learn these by heart, it helps immensely in accompanying.
Last edited by Tommy[fin] at Dec 10, 2007,