I haven't played it before, but people seem to say it's too expensive and the effects aren't all that great.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
It does sound like crap, play a decent tube amp and you will see why unless your hearing is just not developed at all.
Originally Posted by slatsmania
I'd rather plug my guitar into my dog's ass.

yes... the marshall mg series < dog's ass
Quote by sk8rMeTaLhEaD27
its deffenitly worth it, i have the spider 2, its awesome

well yeah the spider 2 is awesome but we're talking about the spider 3
Quote by Chikitty_China

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
People are just jumping on the "It has Spider in the name so it must suck" bandwagon.

Everyone's going to come in here and say that that it's either:
a) Overpriced for what it is, or
b) It only sounds a little better than a Spider

But the fact is 99% of the people haven't even played one. I played one a few days ago after hearing some clips on Harmony Central, and it's much better than people on UG say it is. Go to HC and listen to some of the clips there, I dare people here to distinguish the real amp from the amp the Spider replicates. True, it's only a clip, but it can achieve those tones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
(i have a spider II, but its very similar)
they sound alright if your a beginner, but then at that time you dont really know whats what.
they also sound not too bad at low volumes.
however once you turn them up they sound like crap. or so ive found, theres much better you can get for the same money
And you guys do realize the amp in that link is the Spider Valve...not the Spider 3. Learn to read.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
my wah pedal sounds ok through my spider III but I'm hoping to upgrade to a better amp soon
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by whatadrag
what about pedals do they work ok with it? (straight answer PLEASE)

Ah, the old 'will my effects work on my digital amp' question...

In short, yes, however, it will sound like ass. So you probably wouldn't want to do it.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by MatrixClaw
People are just jumping on the "It has Spider in the name so it must suck" bandwagon.

Everyone's going to come in here and say that that it's either:
a) Overpriced for what it is, or
b) It only sounds a little better than a Spider

But the fact is 99% of the people haven't even played one. I played one a few days ago after hearing some clips on Harmony Central, and it's much better than people on UG say it is. Go to HC and listen to some of the clips there, I dare people here to distinguish the real amp from the amp the Spider replicates. True, it's only a clip, but it can achieve those tones.

I HAVE played numerous line 6 amp at my local sam ash and they all sound like **** period.

Quote by MatrixClaw
And you guys do realize the amp in that link is the Spider Valve...not the Spider 3. Learn to read.

Only goes to prove the Spider III bandwagon...

I sat with the Spider Valve 2x12 for about an hour last month when I had time to waste. It's definitely a step up from the Spider series, but it does not live up to the hype or it's price tag. The cleans were dull, not sure how they managed that. I really expected the cleans to be pretty good. The Tweed and Insane modes stood out the most. There's a noticeable improvement with the insane mode. There's a ton of gain on tap. I had to back off to about 10 o'clock otherwise it was muddy and undefined. It had a fuzzy, round sound to it. I was able to dial in a somewhat decent tone. It's very compressed, but you should expect that. I wasn't too thrilled with the Metal and Classic modes, they were both very flat and dull. I didn't play around with the effects, other than adding in a touch of reverb.
IT'S THE SPIDER VALVE AMP!!!!
it's not the regular spider 3 people, learn to read the link
Quote by Chikitty_China

Quote by Jestersage
Quote by Miggy01

You were talking about the Spider 3 as well.

Quote by Miggy01
well yeah the spider 2 is awesome but we're talking about the spider 3
Quote by Miggy01

****ing hypocrite.
I think it's great for a backstage practice amp. I think it's dumb that they have them for 30 watts and up. Kids buy them thinking, OMG 100 watts now I can gig! Think again. Once you crank it it will sound like an ass. Just get one for practice at very low volumes if you don't want to drag around your real amp and pedalboard.
It's not bad, I actually did get to play it, but only for a few minutes (I was in a bit of a hurry).

I thought the clean sounded pretty good overall at the low volume I was at, however once the effects turned it seemed to take away most of the tube depth of the amp. It's not bad and I can't give a proper idea of it but I felt there was better at a lower price range. Like the Crate V32.

Anyways if you've played it and you really like it, then don't let us stop you. What matter's most is that you like the amp.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
oh snap guys my bad. i thought it was a plain old spider 3. but yeah i meant the valve version. if this one is so pissy how bout some suggestions? id like a combo amp not head or cabinet.
Quote by whatadrag
oh snap guys my bad. i thought it was a plain old spider 3. but yeah i meant the valve version. if this one is so pissy how bout some suggestions? id like a combo amp not head or cabinet.

What's your budget and what kind of sound are you after?
^ argh you beat me to the post

What kind of tone/sound are you going for and what is your budget, and do you plan on gigging with it?

Quote by Guitarmiester
You were talking about the Spider 3 as well.

I was making fun of the guy for liking the spider 2
If you look at my first post you'll see I commented on the price (referring to how most people find the valve one to be too expensive)

edit: dumbass
Quote by Chikitty_China

Quote by Jestersage
lets see the sound? I want an awesome diversity with cleans, I like playing alternative stuff like that. I also want a good range of distortion for stuff like Tool, Metallica, etc. for price range? I'm not sure... not too much I definitely want to get my money's worth. I'd be playing with either a schecter damien or epiphone sg. not sure which one I'll get, but it will be before i get an amp. so price range-hovering around 500.
Quote by Miggy01
I was making fun of the guy for liking the spider 2
If you look at my first post you'll see I commented on the price (referring to how most people find the valve one to be too expensive)

edit: dumbass

Do you feel better now that you've called me a dumbass on account of your own ignorance? Why make fun of the guy or kid for liking his Spider 2? If he's happy with his sound, who are you to make fun of him?

Grow up.

Sorry whatadrag, I don't mean to waste any space in your thread. I'm sure others will be able to help you out with some amp recommendations. I'm not too familiar with the alternative genre to recommend amps to check out for that kind of sound.
And you will not be doing any gigging?

With the budget that low it will be hard to meet those kind of requirments as far as getting really nice cleans and still being able to do metal atleast to my standards =/

If you have any local music stores like sam ash, guitar center, ect. you should prob just test some stuff out and find out what fits your bill by playing some amps hands on.

As far as quality of sound goes tube amps are the way to go always but tube amps tend to be more pricey but you could prob get a good tube combo for around 500$ used just cannot think of any off the top of my head.

The guys from Metallica use/used various Mesa, Marshall, Krank and Diezel amps. They'd be over your price range. I'm not sure what amps Adam Jones uses/used.
Quote by rush5757
I think it's great for a backstage practice amp. I think it's dumb that they have them for 30 watts and up. Kids buy them thinking, OMG 100 watts now I can gig! Think again. Once you crank it it will sound like an ass. Just get one for practice at very low volumes if you don't want to drag around your real amp and pedalboard.

Probably the most intelligent response.

I've played a Spider. It sounds cool at a low volume, which makes it cool if you're a bedroom guitar player. But it's really amp for beginners. The reason most people hate Spiders is because of the half stacks. Half stacks are for experienced players, players who gig. It's basically an enlarged practice amp, which makes it retarded. If you're gonna get a half stack so you can play at higher volumes, why would you want a half stack that can't handle higher volumes?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by MatrixClaw

took 9 posts.

winner!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
so not much i can get for that price range eh? hmm well see the thing is I don't have the money right now for any type or respectable amp but I'm saving up, so really it can be more pricey but i just dont want to spend a lot on something that sucks. and no I won't be gigging anytime soon and also guitarmeister: you are forgiven (adam jones might use mesa...not sure.)
GC are selling their Peavey Classic amps for around $400 as a holiday price, you might still be able to find one.

I found mine to be very versatile so far, the clips in my profile are just the amp, my Squier and a bypassed wah.
Might be worth trying, especially if you can get it at the sale price.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by whatadrag
so not much i can get for that price range eh? hmm well see the thing is I don't have the money right now for any type or respectable amp but I'm saving up, so really it can be more pricey but i just dont want to spend a lot on something that sucks. and no I won't be gigging anytime soon and also guitarmeister: you are forgiven (adam jones might use mesa...not sure.)

There's stuff out there for that price range. If you're not in a hurry, make what you have work for the time being. Do some research, try as many amps as you can, and continue to save. No point in settling for something you'll end up selling or aren't happy with.
ive owned a spider II for close to a year, and if ur a beginner, i highly reccommend it. the modeling gives it the ability to choose any tone you'd ever need. it may not be the highest quality tone from any, but it more than makes up for it with versatility and value. my friend has the spider III, and honestly its a little harder to use than the spider II, the buttons work much differently and i have NO IDEA how to program presets in it, but i love the sound of my jackson thru this amp. if ur looking for an amp thats gonna do anything u want it to, do it at least decently (which i feel this amp goes beyond), and wont cost a ton, this is the amp for you.