I am having trouble understanding scales and modes and such. I am kind of getting it, but i am missing what to play them with and how to know what belongs and other stuff. Some one please help.
+ 1 >_<
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
don't get too worried about not getting it all right now. studying scales and modes takes time and effort. get a real book, don't depend on the internet.

e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

Start on the second fret, and go down the bored. The "O's" are just root notes, also, don't play it like a chord. Each bar represents a fret.

So it's like:

|------------------2-5
|---------------2-5
|------------2-4
|---------2-4
|-----2-4
|2-5-
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Different notes in the major scale are different root notes for modes.

For example, G Major is Ionian. G Major starting on A is the Dorian mode. If you find a dorian mode shape, or...

Using that, you play the dorian mode over certain chords to get a different kind of feel. Each mode is essentially a scale. Think of it this way... the Aeolian mode is just a minor scale. G Major = E Minor, but when you start on a different root note you get a different feel. And, each mode goes better over certain chord types. You'll be able to look that up on google, though. :P
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by Colgate Total

e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

Start on the second fret, and go down the bored. The "O's" are just root notes, also, don't play it like a chord. Each bar represents a fret.

So it's like:

|------------------2-5
|---------------2-5
|------------2-4
|---------2-4
|-----2-4
|2-5-

Um what? I don't think this relates to what he's asking...
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by sg-rocker173
Um what? I don't think this relates to what he's asking...

I thought he was asking how to understand scales. I must have misunderstood him, my bad.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Modes have the same notes as their relative major scales, just a different root note. Like this

Ionian - Major Scale
Dorian - same notes as the relative major scale, root on the second of the scale
Phrygian - Root on the third of major scale
Lydian - Root on 4
Mixolydian - Root on 5
Aeolian - Root on 6
Locrian - Root on 7.

Help? I can explain if full detail a little later if you want... cheers
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
No no, he's asking HOW to use the scale.. Once you know a scale, it doesn't mean you can say hey, I need to play this little riff that starts with a Major second over a m7sus4. You need to learn that somewhere, and what better place to learn than UG?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by Colgate Total

e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

So it's like:

|------------------2-5
|---------------2-5
|------------2-4
|---------2-4
|-----2-4
|2-5-

lol, i know how to play F# minor pentatonic thank you.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
You can't learn modes until you know the major scale, and you can't learn the major scale until you know the notes on the fretboard.

So....

First step - learn the notes on the fretboard, there's no point trying to learn a language if you don't know the alphabet.

Second step - learn the major scale, all over the fretboard, in all keys. If you do this PROPERLY, by learning the notes and intervals the scale contains as opposed to tabs, boxes or fingering patterns, then it will be a LOT easier. The major scale alone contains a lifetime of study, but I'd definitely recommend spending a couple of months exploring it before moving onto pentatonics, the minor scale and eventually modes.

What you can't do is learn it all at once, it simply isn't possible. Yes, you can learn a load of random boxes and fingering patterns but in the long run that TEACHES you sod all. Start at the beginning and work your way through methodically then everything you do learn will sink in properly and you'll actually be able to make good use of what you've learned.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I like to do it like this:

The major scale consists of 7 notes. Each note is a new "starting point" within the major scale. SO, if I am playing in the beautiful key of Gmajor my first step will be called Ionian. If I move up to the nxt "box" in the same key, that note will be the beginning of a new mode called Dorian. So Doran is still in the key of Gmajor, but it's a different mode within that scale. Etc.

This way of doing it is just what I prefer, I know a lot of people that does it differently, but they are also more confused when making music and trying to combine scales.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I am getting confused? I just dont know about all the base notes, i can read whats written and play it, i just dont get what like chords to play each with, does each scale go to each note like the minor pentatonic scale (i know and can use that one) i dunno
???????????
Quote by Bmg6690
I am getting confused? I just dont know about all the base notes, i can read whats written and play it, i just dont get what like chords to play each with, does each scale go to each note like the minor pentatonic scale (i know and can use that one) i dunno
???????????

Exactly, and that's why you have to start at the beginning.

Learn the notes first, then learn the major scale.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_4_scales.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com