Well based on all the posts in my last thread I was also told Orange Amps are great too. So which would be best for Blues and Classic Rock, Marshall JCM 800 or 1959slp or Orange Rocker Series?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Well, i'm a Marshall fan, so i'd recommend either of them.

I've played through both, the 800 being my own, and I really don't know which i'd recommend! Both are great, and I personally prefer the 800 - try them out if you can!

Can't say too much on the Orange, but they are a great amp, although i'm not too keen on their general tone.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I'd say the Orange, the Marshalls (JCM800s especially) are more reknowned for their higher gain sound.
The order of Importance I'd pick would be:
1: Orange
2: Marshall 1958
3: Marshall JCM800
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'd say the Orange, the Marshalls (JCM800s especially) are more reknowned for their higher gain sound.

+1
Well it depends. If you can seriously crank the marshall get the 1959. If you cant go for the orange ad30tc combo. The Rocker 30 is great, but it has higher gain than the AD30. For classic rock, it seriously cannot be beaten.
Ad30 all the way. The only Marshall I've played that comes close to the TONE of an Orange or VOX is the Vintage Modern and the VINTAGE Plexi..... not the re-issued.

Marshall has a distict GAIN type of tone..... they're decent sounding amps......but if you want to talk classic rock TONE..... the higher end boutique class A amps are the way to go.

I had 3 Marshalls before I settled down with the Vox AC-30 and the Orange AD30.

Of course it will also depend on your guitars. Crap guitar and good amp is still not going to sound great.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by JasonUGA311
Crap guitar and good amp is still not going to sound great.

Good guitar and crap amp will sound worse, but I agree with you. On topic, I personally prefer marshalls because they sound almost more "cutting" than other amps imo, that's just me though. I would recommend you at least try the vintage modern series if you get a chance. The only thing I don't like about them is that they're purple, but if you can handle orange then I would imagine purple shouldn't be too big a deal to you.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

+1
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by JasonUGA311
Ad30 all the way. The only Marshall I've played that comes close to the TONE of an Orange or VOX is the Vintage Modern and the VINTAGE Plexi..... not the re-issued.

Marshall has a distict GAIN type of tone..... they're decent sounding amps......but if you want to talk classic rock TONE..... the higher end boutique class A amps are the way to go.

I had 3 Marshalls before I settled down with the Vox AC-30 and the Orange AD30.

Of course it will also depend on your guitars. Crap guitar and good amp is still not going to sound great.

every amp has a distinct gain type of tone...

and marshall basically IS the classic rock tone.
Quote by JasonUGA311
Crap guitar and good amp is still not going to sound great.

He has an american strat!

Also at the "Marshall is the classic rock tone" yes but what about blues? Orange amps were made for the sort of shizz he's going for it seems.
Orange rocker is great for what you want, if you can crank the 1959slp then maybe go for that, but the rocker will be better than the JCM800 IMO.
Lol at everyone who says that Orange is "the" amp for classic rock - when most of the bands that fall under the category of "classic rock" used Marshalls.

Amps are just a preference - like guitars. Comparing an Orange to a Marshall is the same as comparing a Strat to a Les Paul. It's completely subjective. You can play classic rock on a keyboard amp if you want. If you have an ear for tone, you can choose the one that sounds the best to you - otherwise just flip a coin.

edit: This thread also belongs in the G&A section.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
Lol at everyone who says that Orange is "the" amp for classic rock - when most of the bands that fall under the category of "classic rock" used Marshalls.

Yeah, they used Marshall's, back in the day. The modern day Marshall's are quite famously "Out Marshall'ed" by the Orange amps.

Like stated, if you can crank the Plexi, it sounds glorious, but still, the Rocker seems to be perfect here. Also, if you crank the clean channel of the Rocker, it's very Plexi like, so if you can crank a Plexi you can crank the Orange and get a similar tone...but you have better tone at lower volumes too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Orange. Period.

Orange tone is thicker than molten asphalt.

Go compare a Thunderverb and JCM, and you'll see what I mean. Hell, compare any Marshall with any Orange, for that matter.

Not saying Marshall doesn't make good amps, though. That's obviously not the case.
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at Dec 10, 2007,
Well, I've played both.
Last time I played an orange though man, I thought I was going to have to blow my brains it. It just sounded so nasty, muddy, and held back. Go Marshall all the way IMHO.
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Did you play the Orange Crush?^ That would explain it.

If you didnt then I will go ahead and assume it was a faulty floor model, because modern Orange amps famously 'out-marshall' modern marshall amps.
Note to all Classic Rock fans...... Jimmy Paige recorded something like 75 % of Zepplin's studio stuff with an Orange and a Vox AC-30.

The main reason people used Marshalls so much was their Power and "Arena" appeal. And just like everything else......popularity rules. Look at the Boss Tu-2 tuner pedal. That's a POS I wouldn't pay $5 for but they sell like 5 million a year. EVERYONE uses them. Same thing with Shure SM57 Mics. For the same price an Audix i5 Absolutely destroys the Shure for recording and Live performance. But they sell 5 million SM57's very year too. Look on Ebay and see how many Marshall 1/2 Stacks and Heads there are for sale and then look for Orange, Matchless, Vox, Star, or any other high-end boutique amp.

Tone has nothing to do with Distortion or Gain or Volume or Power. We're talking the sweet spot sound a guitar has that an amp adds too and tweaks. Boutique amps like Orange, Vox, Matchless, Hiwatt....ect have WAY MORE TONE than other high-gain amps.....period.

But depending on your tastes..... I prefer articulate, musical and warm tone over Gain. Marshall just doesn't deliver..... with the exception of a $6000 vintage 800 or Plexi. Re-issues just don't have it.
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Damn.... I can't spell worth a crap. Typing too fast i guess
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by The red Strat.
every amp has a distinct gain type of tone...

and marshall basically IS the classic rock tone.

yep
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
the plexi is ****ing loud... but nice

id prolly for the orange for portability/ slightly lower volume
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
the plexi is ****ing loud... but nice

id prolly for the orange for portability/ slightly lower volume

The old Plexi's are wonderful, but the reissues are crap.

Having played both a vintage Plexi, and a Thunderverb, I could easily say that the Orange was the louder of the two. The Plexi's cleans were a little nicer, but that was it.

Orange is making the best amps on the face of the planet, and I'd definitely check one out before I went with a company who charges $1300 for a hunk of Chinese made garbage and calls it a Plexi.

Just my .02, mind you.
^ yes, but thunderverbs are 200W and plexis are 100W. however on that note, thunderverbs have a in-built attenuator and hence, sound better at lower volumes. Overall, i think that the orange beats marshall in 90% of cases with regards to their current range of products for playing classic rock.
Orange all the way
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
The orange rockerverb series are freaking beasts
the actual rockerverb 50s and 100s sound way better than the rocker 30 (more gain, and actual tweakable clean channel)

no offense to marshall lovers, but every marshall i've ever played my whole timespan as a guitarist thus far really sucks
i can get a good clean tone out of a plexi, but that's it, maybe i just didnt crank it up high enough or something to get that plexi distortion that everyone seems to crave
still, the JCM 2000 isnt so great of amps
and i've played a jcm800 2203 twice and both times it has disappointed me, especially since i've heard such great things
but i played the reissue, is that a problem? does the reissue suck compare to the originals?

orange amps though, they just ****ing deliver like hell
i never experimented with how distorted and ad30 can get, but i know that it gets some serious crunch especially if your style is classic or blues etc etc
Orange all the way. They're tone sounds more unique, imo, and more appealing. Marshalls just sound so... idk... grainy. They cut through sound like no other but I just think Orange sounds nicer.
I have had two Marshall JCM900s, one JCM800 and one Plexi. I have sold all of them. I now have an Orange Rocker 30. I will never sell it...

Tells a lot doesn't it?

I play classic rock and blues.

The 1959SLP is good if you can crank it. But there are close to NO ONE who can because it's LOOOOUD! I had the 1987 (50 w version) and guess what, had to sell it because it was too loud.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by LaneRat
^ yes, but thunderverbs are 200W and plexis are 100W. however on that note, thunderverbs have a in-built attenuator and hence, sound better at lower volumes. Overall, i think that the orange beats marshall in 90% of cases with regards to their current range of products for playing classic rock.

There is now a Thunderverb 50 model too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Im probably gonna buy the Orange Rockerverb 50 for sure! Ive tried it and it sounded amazing compared to the marshall 1987xl (at low volume)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
Orange all the way man.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
think it will sound alot different then a mesa/boogie f-50 which i think has horrrible cleans and way too much gain
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
Quote by jordy-77
think it will sound alot different then a mesa/boogie f-50 which i think has horrrible cleans and way too much gain

que? what has the mesa to do with anything? :P
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Orange, because:

1 - with marshalls generally the notes aren't very well, defined, i.e- you really can't hear all the individual notes.

2 - Jimmy Page HAS used orange's, i mean he used an AD30TC for the reunion show in december!

3 - They are ORANGE! I mean, in what way can a marshall look anything like as cool!
Adam
Quote by bjoern_swe
que? what has the mesa to do with anything? :P

yah its a question cause i was just talking about if i should buy an orange.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
Quote by jordy-77
yah its a question cause i was just talking about if i should buy an orange.

oh dear, I didn't notice you were the TS. my bad!
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball