Im going to acquire 2 Behringer 4X12 cabs sometime this week. The external out on my Peavey says 16 ohm minimum. The Behringers have switchable ohms between 8 and 16 I think. If I hook 2 of them up, should they be set at both 16, or 8 because 8+8=16? Im not sure how this works and I would like to not destroy my amp in the process of trying to hook these things up. Thanks.
8+8=16 in series, but 4 in parallel. Make sure you have them set up right (I don't know how the Behringer cabs connect to each other). If you're not sure, I'm not sure why you need eight more speakers, anyway. Just plug in one at 16 ohms.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Off-topic: why Behringer?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^A guy that I work with is giving them to me for free, so I figured why not? I can get a decent head and run it through there then just upgrade the speakers or get better cabs later on.
Ok, I can help you but I need to know some things...

What kind of amp is that Peavey? Combo or Head?

And, do you know what model the cabs are? If you don't, that's ok.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
^Hey sorry for the late reply, Ive been busy today. My amp is a 40 watt combo that just has an external out switch in the back. There is no ohm switch and its a 16 ohm minimum. All I know about the Behringers is that they are 4X12 and have a selectable ohm switch on them.
if it's 16 ohm minimum, then why don't u set it for more on the cab?

i don't think there are too many cabs that have more than 16 tho...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Because it only has options to go to 4, 8, and 16. Ill most likely put both of them at 16, therefore making it 32 ohms which would be enough for my amp. But I was just wondering if there were other options that I could use.
wait wait. your amp is a head is it? and it has an extension speaker out jack?

do you have the manual handy? it should explain how the jacks work.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
No its a combo with an external out in the back so if I want to plug into a different cab other than the 1X12 speaker that is already in the amp, I can. I just wanted to know what setting I should use so I get 16 ohms of impedance out of the speakers.
my guess is, plugging the cab in would disconnect your internal speakers. i might be wrong. but select 16 ohms.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If it is a combo, then you are gonna have an impedance problem. If there is only one speaker output jack at 16 ohms, then you are only gonna be able to use one cabinet. Because any more ohms would blow the power transformer, and output tubes...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Is it a higher ohm cabinet that an amp can deal with? i have two 16 ohm speakers and i was wondering if i put them in series make it 32 ohm then connected it to the 16ohm out would it work like an attentuator? I'd be interested because 100 watts is too much for any one man.
Quote by thetoastinator
^A guy that I work with is giving them to me for free, so I figured why not? I can get a decent head and run it through there then just upgrade the speakers or get better cabs later on.

I'd hook up one at 16 ohms, and sell the other.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^Hmm that might be the way to go. But I may hook one up the the XXX and maybe get an Epiphone VJ for cleans and bluesy stuff to mess around with, which could go to the other cab... Plus Id rather have a spare 4X12 cab than the $125 which Im thinking is the most I could sell one of them for...