Has anyone ever used or own a tapco usb or firewire interface? I am looking to do some home recording into my hp desktop and am looking for a good interface and a condenser mic. Honestly I have no clue what kind of condenser mic to look for. Suggestions for an interface or mic would be welcomed. I'd like to keep the total cost for both capped at 400$. Thanks.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
i haven't used that particular brand but i know tapco is decent (used to sell them) and its a bonus if its a USB/firewire interface.

having that USB/firewire allows you to bypass the stock soundcard and use the mixer as soundcard.

as far as the condenser goes, it really depends what you're recording. come back to us with what kinda music you're doing and what instruments and gear you already have.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I'm more of the singer songwriter, although I play in a pretty eclectic band I'd like to record with in the future. I have an entire album i would like to do, just me and my acoustic guitar, so I am hoping to buy a condenser that can work for both voice and acoustic guitar, because that is what it will be used for mainly. think pink floyd type stuff if they were all acoustic for the kind of music. closest I can connect to besides James Taylor or guys like that.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
2 good condesers are the MXL 990/991 package. It's only $100 and you could get it used for $50. They are mainly acoustic and vocal mics, but I also like the sound of the 991 on electric guitar.

Also a good mic for just about anything is a Shure SM58 or SM57. They're basically the same mic and they're great for everything. Also, they're dynamic, so no phantom power needed.
A nice all around condenser is the Studio Projects B1. It goes for around $100 new.
I know Tapco is great for mixers but I have yet to see any of their mixers.

these do need 48v power though.

if you are looking for a dynamic, the SM57 and SM58 are good. the SM57 is a good mic but most people say you need a good preamp for it to sound good.
I use an SM57 in my studio and I think its an ok mic but really needs a lot of gain.

I suggest either going with the Studio Projects B1 or the MXL 990/991 pack.
I think the Studio Projects B1 is the better choice of the two though...
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 9, 2007,