Page 1 of 3
just curious cuz i've seen a lot of hate being thrown rancid's way but more specifically at tim. i personally like the old rancid songs and really like his playing and lyrics on their first two albums although i think matts are deff better

so im just curious whats with the hate for tim?
oh and does anyone know if he actually still plays guitar on their live shows?
its hard to tell
Quote by hooligan07
just curious cuz i've seen a lot of hate being thrown rancid's way but more specifically at tim. i personally like the old rancid songs and really like his playing and lyrics on their first two albums although i think matts are deff better

so im just curious whats with the hate for tim?
oh and does anyone know if he actually still plays guitar on their live shows?
its hard to tell

haha.....

and you wonder why so many people dislike rancid.....
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
well if he does or doesnt really play much doesnt mean i dont like their music
there are many artist people generally dislike as people but love for what they do,wich is make music
Last edited by hooligan07 at Dec 9, 2007,
I like some of rancid's music, but I really don't like the whole heroin addict street kid image they put out.
Quote by hooligan07
well if he does or doesnt really play much doesnt mean i dont like their music
there many artist people generally dislike as people but love for what they do,wich is make music

ok here it is... Tim Armstrong is a money making piece of **** just cashin in on pop punk ska and psychobilly. turnin hot topic into somethin "Punk Rock". Rancid is just way too god damn poppy for me, yeah I used to like them, but this was also the time when I listend to Blink182 and sum 41.

I ****ing hate how he thinks he some kind of poet, personally I think he writes really ****ing stupid lyrics, like stupid as in dumb, uneducated. that sort of thing.

so basically, Rancid is garbage, Matt Freeman was cool, Tim Armstrong is a liar, and he has a HORRIBLE voice.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
1) He has a crappy voice. He shouldn't sing, in my opinion.
2) He looks stupid. He always seems to have a stupid facial expression. He also has a stereotypical street-punk look with too much leather and spikes.
3) Rancid, although they have a lot of good songs, has A LOT of mediocre music.
4) He is popular and successful, which is unponx.

I like Rancid a little bit, but the first three of those things are annoying to me. Lars Frederiksen is just as bad. And Matt Freeman shows off too much. He's no better than a shred guitarist. I don't have any resentment toward the drummer, though.
Quote by werty22
1) He has a crappy voice. He shouldn't sing, in my opinion.
2) He looks stupid. He always seems to have a stupid facial expression. He also has a stereotypical street-punk look with too much leather and spikes.
3) Rancid, although they have a lot of good songs, has A LOT of mediocre music.
4) He is popular and successful, which is unponx.

I like Rancid a little bit, but the first three of those things are annoying to me. Lars Frederiksen is just as bad. And Matt Freeman shows off too much. He's no better than a shred guitarist. I don't have any resentment toward the drummer, though.

I was with you until you talked sh*t on matt freeman. HE'S INCREDIBLE! Look, I hate it when people just take shredding to an annoying level, but you've gotta listen to the feel he puts into a lot of songs, like Journey to the End of East Bay. He's not just shred. The bassist for Anti-Flag, on the other hand... man if you want to level that accusation at him I'm totally behind you. I can't listen to a single freakin anti-flag song without hearing him play 16th notes on the 16th fret of the bass... DURING THE FREAKING VERSE
hey...
the dude from anti flag is an amazing bassist..
let him do something
what other punk band do you know that has a great sounding bassist?
AND hes the vocalist!

and i like rancid.
why do people attack them?
is it there fault that they have a good product and thats why they are popular?
at least they arent running around trying to make money by selling out...

and the drummer cant be blamed for anything except deserting the used.
yeh
brett steinhert or something.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Quote by yoursweatersux
I was with you until you talked sh*t on matt freeman. HE'S INCREDIBLE! Look, I hate it when people just take shredding to an annoying level, but you've gotta listen to the feel he puts into a lot of songs, like Journey to the End of East Bay. He's not just shred. The bassist for Anti-Flag, on the other hand... man if you want to level that accusation at him I'm totally behind you. I can't listen to a single freakin anti-flag song without hearing him play 16th notes on the 16th fret of the bass... DURING THE FREAKING VERSE

Haha seconded; the Anti-Flag bassist takes showing off to a new level; It's incredible how high the bass is on the mix for Anti-Flag......

But ye, Tim is hated because of the image he portrays, combined with his voice, and the fact that he doesn't even play guitar anymore....which is a pity; he used to be a hell of a 3rd-wave-ska guitarist for Op Ivy
does he just pose with it when they play live?

and has anyone heard devil's brigade form the give them the boot vol 3?
its a really awesome song and its much better than anything rancid has done in the last few records i think
Quote by yoursweatersux

He has some good basslines, but a lot of them just sound fast to me. I can't really hear many good melodies or rhyhms. I guess his stuff on some albums is OK. Life Won't Wait is pretty good and there are some good lines on ...And Out Come The Wolves and Indestructable, but the others don't seem very good.
in my opinion matts best bass lines where on the first two albums and indestructable
1. Tim armstrong is a punk buissness man. Which in it's own accord is not PUNK
2. what tim did to leftover crack at hellcat records
3. Tim's voice
4. How they change their sound on every record to fit the popular punk sound
5. Matt's bass is too show offy and tasteless
6. Lars is a douche
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
i actually sort of like rancid's first and 2 album kind of still.
But the amount of generic **** that Tim is writing and producing, hellcat does have some good bands (aggrolites are the only one's who come to mind) but most of it is generic bull**** made to sell to kids in the form of rebellion.
Lars fredrickson (sp) is probaly the biggest asshole in the world.

Matt freeman kicksass at bass though.
I don't hate Tim.
I don't hate Rancid.
I don't like Matt Freeman
I think "And out come the Wolves" is a good record.

I just make fun of Tim because he's an easy target. Tim Armstong jokes are to the punk forum what white people jokes are to black comedians.

There's really no reason to hate.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

I just make fun of Tim because he's an easy target. Tim Armstong jokes are to the punk forum what white people jokes are to black comedians.

Well put. That's pretty much it, so let's all move on.
Tim Armstrong created and still promotes a record label that promotes censorship, homophobia, and sexisim. So f*** Tim Armstrong.

Mike2's got it right...about the Leftover Crack thing.
^ Well, Leftover Crack does say stupid-ass things sometimes.

I'm not saying what Hellcat did was right, but there are two sides to the issue, I'm sure...
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
umm how does hellcat promote homophobia or sexism?
i think the whole leftover crack thing is open to interpretation but i dont see your other points
i hate them because they're a low rent sucky crimpshrine
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by hooligan07
umm how does hellcat promote homophobia or sexism?
i think the whole leftover crack thing is open to interpretation but i dont see your other points

What do you think leftover crack's song gay rude boys unite is about?
It's an accusation against Hellcat "turning the native music into a homophobic disgrace"...< quote from the song.
And on the subject of sexism, they (leftover crack) stated in an interview that Hellcat just signed a ska artist (forgot his name) that is notorius for his album artwork that degrades women and lyrical content that does the same.
Quote by jpate770
What do you think leftover crack's song gay rude boys unite is about?
It's an accusation against Hellcat "turning the native music into a homophobic disgrace"...< quote from the song.
And on the subject of sexism, they (leftover crack) stated in an interview that Hellcat just signed a ska artist (forgot his name) that is notorius for his album artwork that degrades women and lyrical content that does the same.

The fact that Leftover Crack called them homophobic doesn't mean they are. You failed to answer the question.

I think LOC was accusing Hellcat of supporting homophobic bands (Buju Banton and allegedly the U.S. Bombs) and accusing Lars Frederiksen of being sexist for using naked women in Bastards album artwork... which is pretty sexist, if it's true.

I don't know why I'm even getting involved in this.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by pinheadslts75
OH boy, degradation of women.

They can say that all they want, but it won't stop me from fapping

Maybe not, but what about the homophbia and censorship? Do you support that?
Because if you support Tim Armstrong, you do.
Quote by jpate770
Maybe not, but what about the homophbia and censorship? Do you support that?
Because if you support Tim Armstrong, you do.

I never said I supported Tim.

And I think being a homophobic bisexual would be rather redundant.
Quote by pinheadslts75
I never said I supported Tim.

And I think being a homophobic bisexual would be rather redundant.

so who's bisexual..you or tim?
i dont think that just because they said that hellcat is sexist or homophobic exactly means its a fact..
now i think lars is a member of some punk crew or something who's leader is a gay punk so i dont really think he has too much of an issue with the gays,,
and the album artwork also fails to tell me that they are blatantly sexist..
if lars didnt put it as his artwork then he'd be doing just what u say hellcat is about ,not willin to offend anyone and censoring the artist
the whole leftover crack thing i think is really open to interpretation,
the rest of the accusations are pretty much baseless i think

i didnt know buying a few cds made me a sexist homophob
Last edited by hooligan07 at Dec 10, 2007,
Quote by hooligan07
i dont think that just because they said that hellcat is sexist or homophobic exactly means its a fact..
now i think lars is a member of some punk crew or something who's leader is a gay punk so i dont really think he has too much of an issue with the gays,,
and the album artwork also fails to tell me that they are blatantly sexist..
if lars didnt put it as his artwork then he'd be doing just what u say hellcat is about ,not willin to offend anyone and censoring the artist
the whole leftover crack thing i think is really open to interpretation,
the rest of the accusations are pretty much baseless i think

The lars thing is a good point, but is that to say tim should allow all types nazi, racist, bands into the label just because he alllowed Lars? and besides punk music is typically known for it's depreciation of racism, sexism, and homophobia. and tim knows this.

And on the subject of censorship, It is a known fact that hellcat refused them from titling their album "shoot the kids at school" so instead they tilted it "mediocre Generica" in reference to hellcat.

And the homophobia thing is open to interpretation, but I don't think they would accuse a label they left from themselves of doing something like that through a song if it wasn't true...maybe if they were fired but not if they left.
i just cant see how if a particular band on hellcat has a few band members wich might be sexist or homophobs makes tim one himself

i have never heard one of their artist do either in their music but as far as their personal views,to each their own
and its pretty ridiculous to say that cuz lars had some chick showing her boobs that the label is sexist and that they've opened the doors for nazi rascist artist
Quote by hooligan07
i just cant see how if a particular band on hellcat has a few band members wich might be sexist or homophobs makes tim one himself

i have never heard one of their artist do either in their music but as far as their personal views,to each their own
and its pretty ridiculous to say that cuz lars had some chick showing her boobs that the label is sexist and that they've opened the doors for nazi rascist artist

does that mean the degradation of other races is more important than degradation of women?

And I didn't say he tim was, i'm just saying if you allow that in your small label you will gain a reputation for supporting or at least overlooking the injustices of those ideas.
By the way, what happened to the original guy I was arguing against about this? Did he give up, because I was arguing against thim on another thread about how Leftover crack and refused are good bands and are more intelligent, lyrically, than The Dead boys. And when I referenced that they were old school punk and thats what it was like back then, he said old school punk is the only kind of punk. when I argued I guess he couldnt respond and can't now either.

And Rancid is not old school punk by the way, so old school can't be the only kind.
well in my opinion he wasnt degrading women by having her flash a niplle or something..

so if tim let leftover crack give that ridiculous album the ridiculous title they wanted would the mean the label supports the shooting of children at school?
im fairly sure lars would run into some problems had he wanted to title his album ''use chix as objects'' or ''stomp the queens''
the album cover he had isnt nearly as over the top as the title leftover crack tried giving the album
Last edited by hooligan07 at Dec 10, 2007,
Quote by hooligan07
well in my opinion he wasnt degrading women by having her flash a niplle or something..

so if tim let leftover crack give that ridiculous album the ridiculous title they wanted would the mean the label supports the shooting of children at school?
im fairly sure lars would run into some problems had he wanted to title his album ''use chix as objects'' or ''stomp the queens''
the album cover he had isnt nearly as over the top as the title leftover crack tried giving the album

But Hellcat is primarliy an independent punk label. So its not as over the top wehn compared to Lars' album...like I said this is a punk label, it's not something big like the david geffen company. But really i'm not as passionate about the artwork as I am about the censorship and homophobia, it just agitates me, but there's no need to touch on that subject again. I dont like to constantly argue about something Im not really concerned about.
Quote by hooligan07

What kind of punk crew has a leader?
Now come on, lads.

Timmy is NOT racist, he loves black culture, and even pretends to be black to shift records.

As for Lars' ill treatment of the ladies, he is a Viking, which makes it OK because Vikings go round raping woman usually.
If Lars had bikini wearing guys, that wouldn't be homophobic, would it?

He'd be embracing the gay.

But does he really need a fridge covered in punk stickers and naked girls to have a good album? Maybe if Viking was a good record, with a bunch of good songs on it, maybe the girls could have kept their clothes on, and just had a nice hug with Lars, as opposed to walk around as objects.

It's also funny how everyones attacking lars and hellcat, but has nothing to say about the girls who did it. It just shows that they'll do anything to be inside an album.

Unfortunately, most tr00 punk seem to require mohawks and stickers and naked girls to compensate for being really f*cking rubbish.

His s/t album doesn't depict nudity, and it's not a terrible album. This is no coincidence.
He's alright, the only Rancid album I've really listened to is "Out come the wolves" which is good.
I like a lot of Rancid stuff, but it seems to me that lots of people here like Armstrong dogmatically, but insult Blink182 or Green Day or stuff like that, becasue they sold out, but he writes songs for Pink and noone cares? I still lik their music and have nothing against Armstrong, but one part of him is definitely masked.....
Page 1 of 3