a band that incorporates more than one style of music into their mix

like dreamtheatre
Spoken-Word
and singing
and yes i'll say it RAPPING

and into eternity
for their mix of vocals
Progressive metal is a sub-genre of heavy metal music which blends the powerful, guitar-driven sound of metal with the complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, and intricate instrumental playing of progressive rock. Some progressive metal bands are also influenced by jazz fusion and classical music. Like progressive rock songs, progressive metal songs are usually much longer than standard rock songs, and they are often thematically linked in concept albums. As a result, progressive metal is rarely heard on mainstream radio and video programs.

-wikipedia
Quote by hightension01
a band that incorporates more than one style of music into their mix

like dreamtheatre
Spoken-Word
and singing
and yes i'll say it RAPPING

and into eternity
for their mix of vocals

Good answer
Quote by SoulFallsVoice
Progressive metal is a sub-genre of heavy metal music which blends the powerful, guitar-driven sound of metal with the complex compositional structures, odd time signatures, and intricate instrumental playing of progressive rock. Some progressive metal bands are also influenced by jazz fusion and classical music. Like progressive rock songs, progressive metal songs are usually much longer than standard rock songs, and they are often thematically linked in concept albums. As a result, progressive metal is rarely heard on mainstream radio and video programs.

-wikipedia

yep i agree

Originally Posted by Redhotchipepper
what i thought peta was people eating tasty animals
Join the Jackson Owner's Club
Progressive is a VERY broad brush...

HURT is a perfect example of prog rock, yet they are 100% different than say Floyd or Rush.

Like hightension mentioned, it's pretty much just a band that draws from ALL genres. One that does not cast themselves as a specific type of band. A band that is ALL types, is one type; Progressive.
I'd say the use of odd time signatures and little real 'blues influence' would be two of the most recognizable aspects of prog rock. Other than that..... they basically do anything else to break out of the typical rock box.
Fatso Forgottso.... most typical Rock and Hard Rock music is based around blues conventions. Pentatonic based solos, The basic chord progressions, etc. Prog bands typically tend to lean more on things like Classical music and Jazz Fusion. You don't hear much of the old I-IV-V in progressive music.
Music that moves forward.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
Music that moves forward.

a bit too simple answer

I agree with the wiki guy!
I'm too lazy to type out a rough idea again, so I'll slightly modify another post to the same effect I've already made.

Quote by Me
I explained progressive music to one of my friends as music that uses "odd" ideas in the music (time signatures, phrasings, song structures, style combinations, scales, counterpoints, etc.) to do something new or unusual.

I think "progressive" can function as both a description of music and a genre.