What pot sizes would be recommeneded for a guitar like this-

HSH

Both humbuckers wired to coil faders, one master volume for both of them. Wired to 5-way switch

The Single coil on a push-pull volume of its own. Down would be off, up would be on.

And all this wired to a master tone?

Thanks, I'm just not sure how to do the calculations for something like this, or if it'd even work.

C/ruel
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Last edited by C/ruel at Dec 10, 2007,
what do you mean the 'pot sizes'??? just get full size pots... the push-pull won't come in full size though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Whoops, mental lapse. Sorry

Resistance sizes. I'm hoping everything but the Single Coils push-pull will be 500k. the single coil will probably have to be a 1 Meg or higher, but I have a few 1 Meg push-pulls.

then again I've been doing all of this with parrallel wiring resistance formula's, and to tell the truth, I dont have the slightest clue if I'm even close to the mark.

EDIT: To tell the truth, if someone could just give me the kind of wiring diagram this would be (series/parallel) and maybe the formula to use, I'd be more then happy to try and figure it out myself. I'm just really lost.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at Dec 9, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
what do you mean the 'pot sizes'??? just get full size pots... the push-pull won't come in full size though.

??? I have a full size push-pull pot in my Cort.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^where would u buy it? i never seen one with it, and i always thought the push-pull DPDT pots were mini-sizes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^where would u buy it? i never seen one with it, and i always thought the push-pull DPDT pots were mini-sizes.

It was stock with the guitar. Atleast it looked full size, It could have been tinier under the switch part, but I don't think so.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

hm. interesting. i never seen one. if you happen to have your pickguard open at any time and remember that i wanted to see ur switch, take a pic please.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
hm. interesting. i never seen one. if you happen to have your pickguard open at any time and remember that i wanted to see ur switch, take a pic please.

I'm bored, so I'm on it right now!

noobEDIT: You're right again JEC, it's only half! Stupid me.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at Dec 10, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
hahaha

Oh, and I'm getting a cab for Christmas yay! Only $130 after shipping and handling.

But, on topic. What kind of sounds are you shooting for on this guitar? Brighter? As a standard, 250K for single coils, 500K for humbuckers, but they aren't required to be that way. Remember, the higher the value, the brighter because there is less treble cut off.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^nice!

it's not the 'less treble cut off', but 250k has less resistance than 500k. so when it's turned up, the signal flows a bit more in the 250k pot than the 500k pot. now that's with the tone control.

for volume control, you get louder output with 500k because there is a resistance of 500k from the input to the ground. with 250k, you'll get less output than with 500k for the same reason. adding to that, 250k volume would sound warmer because the highs get sucked into the ground first, because highs flow faster than lows or the mids.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Just for the record, I have a full sized Push/pull pot in my bass =)
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
So to sum it up, using a switch makes things a lot easier?

I understand the diffrence between the resistances and what they do, its just that before I was going to use a super switch I had the idea to give everything its own volume and tone control. This required me to wire everything in parrallel, so I had to find out the formula's for figuring out what sizes of pot's i needed in order to get everything working (I needed two of the three branches to have 1 megs, and one to have 10 megs to get an overall resistance of like, 450k or so.)

When I decided to throw in a switch because concentric 1 megs are $25 a peice, I didnt know if the new circuit qualified as a series or parrallel circut.

From what I'm guessing, and hoping the switches circut regardless of how many volumes, tones, or anything else I would put on would only qualify as one "Branch" in a parrallel circut. Although I imagine this isnt the case, which is why I decided on a master volume for the humbuckers and master tone for everything.

From there I figured adding in that single coil outside the switches circut would put in in parrallel with whatever was coming from the switch. but with both "branches" connecting at the 500k master tone, and the fact that I baiscally BS'd what I figured it would work like, i didnt know what values I should stick on my guitar.

From what I get off all of you guys, I should just use 500k's for everything but the volume for the single coil, where I can put a 250k, or I can put a 1 meg if I so desire.

Correct? (or not?)

C/ruel
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at Dec 10, 2007,
Guys? any help?

The basic question is whats the formula for finding out resistances in a circut with a switch and an extra pickup on/off w/volume control not wired to the switch.

Would this classify as a series circut, or would it turn into a parrallel circut as soon as I flipped on the extra pickup switch?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
draw up a schematic urself. it's not that hard. these resistance don't really mess with the ohms law or whatever you're tyring to figure out. the resistance of the volume pot can be 250k, 500k, 1Meg, or even 100k or 10meg. tone control can be 1k, 5k, or 10 meg, anything like that. but the ones that sound 'good' are 250k in a single coil, 500k in a humbucker. it's just that.

if you want to classify this as a series or parallel circuit, draw up a schematic/diagram. then, you'll know what it is. i'm probably guessing it's series.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by C/ruel
Guys? any help?

The basic question is whats the formula for finding out resistances in a circut with a switch and an extra pickup on/off w/volume control not wired to the switch.

Would this classify as a series circut, or would it turn into a parrallel circut as soon as I flipped on the extra pickup switch?

You can use 500K pots. The single coil will sound a little bridge....but that's better than the humbuckers being too dark.

And usually, the single coil being switched in, at least the way I have it wired in my head...would wire it in parallel with the other pickups.
And pretty much all standard switching on guitar puts pickups in parallel.

But this switching system seems dumb, honestly.

Why not wire it like a standard 5-way switch, and wire it so the 2 and 4 positions are auto-coil splits - for hum cancelling purposes?