I hope i am posting this in the right area. Anyway, i played guitar a little when i was younger about 20 some years ago. I am looking to get back into it, but keep in mind i was never any good.

Here is a list of the equipment i am thinking about getting. Please feel free to tell me what you think and reccomend. I am looking forward to playing some nirvana, system of a down, etc(More the softer stuff).

Anyway here is why my list looks like:

Fender Vintage Voltage Instrument Cable Vintage Tweed 18 Foot
update $24.99 $24.99

Elixir Super Light Nanoweb Electric Guitar Strings
update $10.99 $10.99

Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks White Moto Medium
update $3.99 $3.99

Fender Pro Junior Combo Amp Blonde*
Product #480861
update $339.99 $339.99

Musicians Gear Deluxe Electric Guitar Case Tweed
update $49.99 $49.99

String Master Robotic Guitar Tuner
update $39.99 $39.99

Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar Midnight Wine Maple Fretboard
Product #516037
update $399.99 $399.99

ProLine Guitar Stand Black

update $14.99 $14.99

Cart Subtotal: $884.92 USD

Well.. What do you think. I know very little and stayed to fender products because while i know they are not always the best, they are generally pretty good. I went tube because of the sound..

Thank you very much
Great choices, it'll sound great. Maybe some effects for you to fiddle around on, like a wah pedal.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I commend you for not shooting a wad of cash on a halfstack.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
Seems like a decent setup. Am I correct in assuming you play some blues and classic rock?
instead of insisting on name brand cables and stuff, consider getting maybe some cheaper cables, like Planet Waves or something, and Ernie Ball strings instead of those Elixer ones, could save quite a bit of money to dump into an effects pedal.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
also, maybe get like, a 15 dollar Korg tuner instead of that 40 dollar one.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Great info, thanks everyone. Would the Telecaster be better for what i want to play? I really want to play mostly rock.

I also am interested in later upgrading the tubes when i get better. I would also upgrade the pickups. Any and all info is appreciated!
+1 to the $15 Korg Tuner. I've used mine for a couple years straight, works good with no problems. It happens to be the tuner everyone wants to borrow in Jazz band..

Everything looks pretty good. Personally, I would get some different strings, like D'Addario or Ernie Ball, and a Monster or Planer Waves cable. A hardcase isn't essential either, a gig bag will work fine.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
The difference between a Telecaster and a Strat are big, but not genre defining. Either guitar would work fine. As far as New tubes go, I wouldn't replace them until they ware out. As far as pickups go, they aren't really all that worth replacing, unless you love the guitar, but it's muddy sounding, or something along those lines.

But, on the whole it seems like a pretty good setup. I might consider getting an OD pedal, like a Bad Monkey, or TS9/TS808. Which, is all preference.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Pro Jr. isn't gonna get any distortion unless you turn it up pretty high on the 15w tube power.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
Pro Jr. isn't gonna get any distortion unless you turn it up pretty high on the 15w tube power.

Never personally played a Pro Jr., but 15 Watts is loud if you live in an apartment. I'd rather go for something like an Epiphone Valve Jr., which I own, and I play alot of Nirvana. But, IMO, the Epiphone Valve Jr.'s speaker is way too bassy to play Nirvana. So, you'd need to buy an EQ pedal. Don't get the Behringer EQ pedal, I bought it and it sounded way too digital.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Yes. The Combo amp is cheaper than the Half-stack, but the speaker is even worse.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

but the VJ is still pretty loud when u get good tube saturation. u'd want a master volume.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
but the VJ is still pretty loud when u get good tube saturation. u'd want a master volume.

Can you show me an example of a master volume? I'm Afraid i'm not yet sure what one looks like, but the function seems obvious!
Quote by ECistheBest

Not for me, but it depends if you've got your own house or an apartment. I crank my VJ on a daily basis, and just halfway up is enough distortion for Nirvana, assuming your pickups aren't super low output, like my single- coils. My single coils need about 2 o'clock on the amp to get the same distortion.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by LostIRL
Would i still want to get a good OD pedal for the VJ??

It would be a good idea, but IMO not required. OD would be an alternative to getting a different amp.

But, if you want to try out another amp, check out the Crate Palaminos.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by LostIRL
Can you show me an example of a master volume? I'm Afraid i'm not yet sure what one looks like, but the function seems obvious!

its just another knob... lol.

i agree with the crate palomino v8. nice amp, with a volume knob and a gain knob.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard