Okay, so I've always recorded electric guitar and bass, straight to line in, and that's going good, but now I'm trying to record acoustic guitar. In general, I'm new to using mics as opposed to direct in, or drum machines.

The problem is you can hear me breathing when I play, and it's kind of noticeable. And sometimes I have problems with like chair squeaks and that sort of thing. Another thing is like metronome clicks and hearing what I'm playing over get recorded with that. Wearing headphones should fix that, but I just don't like wearing headphones when I play.

Right now I'm just using a cheap PC mic. I know the sound quality is bad because I'm not using a real mic, but I want to learn how to make decent sounding recordings with that before I buy a real mic that's meant for recording music. I usually use a little compression too, like to help with finger squeaks, but any advice for recording acoustic guitar is definitely appreciated, especially fixing the breathing problem.
position the mic so that its aiming at the fretboard, between the 12th fret and the soundhole.
Listen and adjust. For EQ you should find Fullness at about 80Hz, body at 240Hz, presence at 2-5kHz. Beware of recording too much 'boominess'.

Don't breathe so loud (remain calm) and don't breathe so that the plosive goes right on the diaphragm of the mike. As for chair squeaks, you could try WD40 if its a metal on metal thing? or try a different chair etc.

Have you tried recording the guitar Direct? or is it strictly acoustic?
MBOX2 - PRO TOOLS LE 7.3.1 - CUBASE SX3 - REASON 4
ATTACK_DECAY_SUSTAIN_RELEASE_
Quote by randomthought9
Okay, so I've always recorded electric guitar and bass, straight to line in, and that's going good, but now I'm trying to record acoustic guitar. In general, I'm new to using mics as opposed to direct in, or drum machines.

The problem is you can hear me breathing when I play, and it's kind of noticeable. And sometimes I have problems with like chair squeaks and that sort of thing. Another thing is like metronome clicks and hearing what I'm playing over get recorded with that. Wearing headphones should fix that, but I just don't like wearing headphones when I play.

Right now I'm just using a cheap PC mic. I know the sound quality is bad because I'm not using a real mic, but I want to learn how to make decent sounding recordings with that before I buy a real mic that's meant for recording music. I usually use a little compression too, like to help with finger squeaks, but any advice for recording acoustic guitar is definitely appreciated, especially fixing the breathing problem.

I have done a lot of acoustic guitar recording in the past year. Never had those problems (did have a cough one time sneak in...grrrh). I have recorded a couple of different ways, one channel mic'd one side direct, some times just mic'd I get the best result (at least to my ears) putting the mic right in front of the sound hole, 6 to 8 inches away depending on what I am playing. I've also tried it with one at the sound hole and one up at the fretboard. I'm not working with real good mic's at present but that is gonna change soon (well maybe not REAL good but a lot better than what I have been using).

Experiment and see what works the best.

TOny