ok my sg has a neckdive and its kind of annoying the **** out of me as its really bad how can i stop the neckdive
...You should have played the guitar before you bought it, or read any of the internets. A strap that grips well will help some, and you can always try to counter-balance it by hanging junk off the other end of the guitar.
Its just a quirk of SGs. They are headstock heavy and the strap button shifts the balance point. Most are at the base of the neck. The body is light weight so doenst do much to counter the headstock like a heavy LP body will. A wide leather strap will help but not completely cure it.
The Epi SG's are bad about neck-dive. Don't turn loose of the neck and get a nice wide leather strap, raw on the inside so it will have friction. It won't bother you that much once you get used to it, unless you want to do some acrobatic guitar work.
The Gibson SG Standards dive a little, and that's how I solved my problem.
I would redrill different holes and move the strap holders. The neckdive on my Xiphos was awful when I got it. It took me 5 minutes to move the strap holders, and I've had no problems with it ever since.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by MurderWorship
I would redrill different holes and move the strap holders. The neckdive on my Xiphos was awful when I got it. It took me 5 minutes to move the strap holders, and I've had no problems with it ever since.

+1,000,000

Did it with my IC400, and it was like a whole new guitar. Move it to the very tip of the upper horn.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
+1,000,000

Did it with my IC400, and it was like a whole new guitar. Move it to the very tip of the upper horn.

will this harm my guitars tone at all?
As well as the above suggestions, dd a second bottom strap button further round the body away from you (towards the jack socket).

And no, moving strap buttons will not harm your guitar's tone in any way. On, say, an original 60s Gibson I might hesitate...but on an Epi Standard, absolutely no worries.
hm i never encounter this problem with my sg standard, i wouldn't really drill another hole into my sg cause it will serverely lower the value but since urs is a epi thn as stated by others you have nothing to worry about
Quote by natedapunk
will this harm my guitars tone at all?

Nope, not at all.

I also wouldn't recommend moving it further up on the backside of the guitar, either. It'll help balance, but it's still there jabbing you in the stomach, and it still wouldn't be as balanced as it would be when moved to the tip of the horn.

It's a free mod, that makes a huge difference in balance. I don't know why they're still even making SG's with the strap buttons on the backside.

See, look at Tony Iommi's John Diggins SG. Sexiest guitar, from the world's best guitar player, BTW.
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at Dec 10, 2007,