What are the consequences of using a bass on a regular guitar amp?

Would it be so low that the amp would slowly collapse in on itself?
Or would the valve, etc. get damaged from not being able to support the sound?
Pit answer:

Oh, rofl awesome.

Serious answer:

Fine, whatever, *reported, blah blah blah...
Seriously, what would happen?
I think you can do it, im not sure if you can really crank the amp though if its a tube. I'm pretty sure some of the old 70s bassists like john paul jones used old marshall stacks for bass.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
Quote by Salzary
I think you can do it, im not sure if you can really crank the amp though if its a tube. I'm pretty sure some of the old 70s bassists like john paul jones used old marshall stacks for bass.

yes old marshall bass amps
Were'nt Marshall guitar heads based off the Fender Bassman amp? wouldn't that make them a little more bass-happy?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
This gets asked a bunch in this forum, but since the search bar is non-functional....

1. Yes you can play a bass through a guitar amp. But it will sound like ****, they are not designed to handle lower frequencies, because they aren't built for bass but guitar (duh).

(The Fender Bassman line was designed by Fender for their Precision basses. What I've always heard though is that it tended to unload at lower frequencies--and I've seen more guitarists than bass players using Bassman amps. My blues playing guitarist friend just looooves his.)

2. If you crank it, it will smoke. Again, a guitar amp is designed for a guitar not a bass. Period. End of story.

Moral of the story--buy the right gear for the right instrument and you will get the sound a you need and can depend on.
You'll blow the speaker/damage the amp eventually. Not built for that low-end.
Quote by playinbass1432
I used to play a J Bass through a Line 6 guitar amp and had no problems. Sounded like pure **** though.

Anything through a Line6 usually does

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
If you need it for practice you can use it. But don't turn the knob over 2. And if I am not mistaken Lemmy used a guitar rack most of his career. But don't follow him. That's a bad road. Just be careful. If you hear your sound distorting, stop.
The jazz student
Ugh, just ugh. Like mister croatia just said don't turn the knob over two because the speakers are not meant to take that low of frequencies. Several people will try it anyway.

Kind of like drugs, you know it's bad for you, but you'll try them anyway.

You know you can't use a Bass through a guitar amp, but you will anyway.
speaking of Un-Bass Amps. when i was 16(1976), i bought an adaptor wire from Radio Shack that was a 1/4 plug into two RCA plugs. i used it to plug my bass into the "tape input" jacks of my brothers stereo. i then proceeded to blow every stereo speaker in the house, in just two days. i still have scars from when my older brothers kicked my ass. we all learn, eventually.
It'll divide itself by zero. Don't do it.

Really though, as long as you don't crank dat soulja boy, it'll be fine. Keep it at a very low volume just for practicing. Don't do it in a band situation or whatever.
Quote by grampastumpy
It'll divide itself by zero. Don't do it.

Really though, as long as you don't crank dat soulja boy, it'll be fine. Keep it at a very low volume just for practicing. Don't do it in a band situation or whatever.

Anyway, you run the risk of blowing the speaker, like everyone above me already said. With the volume low, you can get away with it though.

EDIT- yeah the old url apparently had to be censored. I forgot that the Photobucket album name had profanity in it (funny s***)
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Last edited by Confused4930 at Dec 10, 2007,
Quote by Confused4930

Anyway, you run the risk of blowing the speaker, like everyone above me already said. With the volume low, you can get away with it though.

lulz at broken link.

EDIT: Ah dammit you just fixed it.
The only thing you can do is reroute the whole thing. I am currently playing gigs on a Ampeg G-412 head and a Ampeg cabinet, both originally made for guitar. But after some very intelligent rerouting and soldering it was made a great bass amp. One of the best I've played.

The moral of the story, you ask?
Unless you are a genius technician you should buy a bass amp.

/thread
The jazz student