Page 1 of 2
Hi!

Im about to start a band but I just need a amp (been playing to through a ms-4 till now). I was just wondering about how much solid state wattage do u need to be heard over drums and all the other usual rock stuff. Thanks.
Um...between fifty and one hundred, depending on how loud your drummer and bassist are and where you're going to be playing.

But, can I ask, why solid state? You only need a thirty watt valve amp to gig
when you start out don't go with valve... you will get sound, reliability, and price issues.
^ ...WTF?

If you buy a decent valve amp, you won't get any issues with sound or reliability. Or at least, nowhere near those that you will with SS. o.0
^ haha yes you will tubes will die out... and also with valve some nights you will sound awesome and others your guitar will sound dull. it depends on where you are playing. SS are far more reliable IMO.
If you're a bedroom player, valves can last a long time. Hell, my amp is probably over ten years old and it looks to have the original valves in there. They all work fine. With cheap solid state amps, you tend to find that you sound rubbish wherever you play, but most people cover it up with gain so they don't notice. Granted, there are some nicer SS amps out there, but to be honest all this lark about valve amps being expensive to maintain is silly - you don't replace valves like you do with strings.

Also, cheap SS amps have much poorer reliability than valve amps and are much harder to repair.

I took my Valve Jr. everywhere and it sounded great.
Quote by stevenexp
^ haha yes you will tubes will die out...

So do strings. Let's all start playing keyboard.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly

+1
Esp Eclipse II VTB :i i fucking love her.
Gold and black on 1 guitar = succes
strings are needed with valves you have another choice SS. don't get things confused.
Quote by Green_Jelly

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
100 watts for a solid state amp is more than enough, i know everybody hates marshall mgs on here but i rarely play with the volume over a fourth of the way up with my band.

Gear:

Cort: G290
Marshall: Mg100Dfx
Boss: GE-7
Korg: PDX4
Cort: Earth
If you are going to be gigging and playing rock, I think a nice tube amp is definitely the way to go.

I bought a used Peavey Classic 50 2x12 for $380.

Quote by Marshallman17
100 watts for a solid state amp is more than enough, i know everybody hates marshall mgs on here but i rarely play with the volume over a fourth of the way up with my band.

Gear:

Cort: G290
Marshall: Mg100Dfx
Boss: GE-7
Korg: PDX4
Cort: Earth

I'm sorry.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by stevenexp
strings are needed with valves you have another choice SS. don't get things confused.

Seriously, though, I change my strings every two months at the moment. Costs me £24 a year. But replacing valves is a different story. You can make them last for a very long time. Five years is probably the length I'd go for for bedroom use, so that's what...£50 every five years or so? I'd rather have that extra cost at the benefit of awesome tone than save myself a little amount and get a solid state amp that didn't sound so good.
i hate the feeling of new strings, but thats besides the point. A *GOOD* SS amp will give you just as good a tone as any valve amp, it all depends on your style and how well you know it. SS amps definitely do jazz better than valves, and a good classic Fender Princeton Chorus or the like will give you a good tone, and probably take pedals with less fuss.
Quote by mangaka82
i hate the feeling of new strings, but thats besides the point. A *GOOD* SS amp will give you just as good a tone as any valve amp, it all depends on your style and how well you know it. SS amps definitely do jazz better than valves, and a good classic Fender Princeton Chorus or the like will give you a good tone, and probably take pedals with less fuss.

a good SS still won't sound as good with overdrive compared to a good cranked valve amp. the cleans can sound as good, but better ? that's an opinion.
a princeton chorus is a SS, right ? generally, tube amps take pedals better than SS amps.
Unless you plan on spending over a grand on a nice SS head, theres no point in going with SS. There are tons of great valve combos within the $300 to $700 price range that'll sound immensely better than any SS amp in that price range.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
i agree, SS is reliable

it will allways sound crap
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i agree, SS is reliable

Have you ever heard a Jazz Chorus or a Line 6 Vetta? Don't jump on the SS bashing bandwagon!

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez
Have you ever heard a Jazz Chorus or a Line 6 Vetta? Don't jump on the SS bashing bandwagon!

i know, i loved my old SS but the bandwagon is comfy

......and my new valve amp pisses rings around the old one
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i know, i loved my old SS but the bandwagon is comfy

......and my new valve amp pisses rings around the old one

Well most valve/tube amps will "piss rings" around SS amps, but there are some really nice SS out there that can "piss rings" around certain valve amps.

Quote by TMVolta19
Quote by omarrodrigez
Unless you plan on spending over a grand on a nice SS head, theres no point in going with SS. There are tons of great valve combos within the $300 to $700 price range that'll sound immensely better than any SS amp in that price range.

you can get used line 6 flextones for $300, and if you want versatility they're great amps
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i agree, SS is reliable

As omar said, there are plenty of good solidstates, but they're expensive.
Jazz chorus, vettas, and there's more.
But... a $500 tube amp will sound astronomically better than a $500 solid state.
I think even a mid-priced tube amp (peavey classic or comparable fender) still sounds better than even high end solid states.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
tube amps are way overrated, 80% of people here who bash SS, and Modelling Amps/Floor Processors are going at tubes mainly just as a status symbol. "oh look at look at me! im using a tube amp! finally i will be respected!"

plenty of bands who rely on solid state or amp modelling, but lately people simply dont feel as accepted as a musician if they arent using tube amps. go into any big club with a PODxtLive in one hand and a loud tube amp in the other, and i bet the soundguy is gonna beg you to plug the PODxtLive into the house PA, and tell you to put the tube amp back stage so he doesnt have to deal with its loudness.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
Quote by darkarbiter7
But... a $500 tube amp will sound astronomically better than a $500 solid state.
I think even a mid-priced tube amp (peavey classic or comparable fender) still sounds better than even high end solid states.

That's pretty much my take. People complain about the expense of tube amps, but I'd much rather have a Palomino V32 than a Randall, Valvetronix, Spider, MG, etc., for my $500.

Now I got a well used JC-77 on the cheap. Great sounding amp, but it's certainly not the amp for the majority of what I play - which has to come into play, too. If I was purely a jazz guy, I'd be very content with it. If I was a metalhead, the Randall might float my boat. But I'm more of a classic rock/punk/blues type player, and for that I need tubes.

Quote by TimbreWolf
tube amps are way overrated, 80% of people here who bash SS, and Modelling Amps/Floor Processors are going at tubes mainly just as a status symbol. "oh look at look at me! im using a tube amp! finally i will be respected!"

I could give a crap what anyone thinks of me. I just want to sound good.

I think a lot (a lot, not "all") of the defenders of SS tend to people who've just been afraid of tubes. Afraid of changing them out, biasing their amp, etc. Afraid of the unknowns. So they've only had SS amps, and they're content enough with the sound they get out them.

Quote by TimbreWolf
go into any big club with a PODxtLive in one hand and a loud tube amp in the other, and i bet the soundguy is gonna beg you to plug the PODxtLive into the house PA, and tell you to put the tube amp back stage so he doesnt have to deal with its loudness.

Convenience does not equal better sound. Fortunately for me, I never travel with a PODxtLive, so I don't have to deal with lazy soundmen in that way.

And tube amps come in quite reasonable sizes, too. I was recently in a NYC club watching three bands share a 5W Fender Vibrochamp mic'd up. I was happy with the sound, and I'm sure the soundman got by okay, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I think a lot (a lot, not "all") of the defenders of SS tend to people who've just been afraid of tubes. Afraid of changing them out, biasing their amp, etc. Afraid of the unknowns. So they've only had SS amps, and they're content enough with the sound they get out them.

im happy with my SS pignose because its a) a pignose and b) sounds good - i do realize that it lacks the dynamics and response of a great tube amp which is why im getting one

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ hendriko, I think you've established yourself here as someone who "gets it."

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thank you!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by slatsmania

The whole post was a good 'un, but this is probably the most relevant thing to this thread overall. Hell, sometimes you just have to get over your fears. I still don't know how to replace valves, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it - I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and I am really glad that I did in the end
To answer the TS's original question, as others have said it depends on the setup of your other bandmates.

I'd say 60-65 watt amp would work, IF you have a sensible drummer and bassist.
If not, 100 watt should be enough for even the most heavy handed drummers.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
I do think that valve amps have a certain warmness to them that ss can't cover, but valve amps are still a relic of the past if you want to look at it like that. When was the last time you found a radio that ran off of KT88 valves? Transistor technology has improved to the point that professional muscians can just as easily get a good sound from any solid state as a valve. My personal favorite valve driven amps are the Krank Rev 1, Marshall JVM, and an Old Crate Blue Voodoo. Those were great, lots of warmth and fullness no real sterility to the sound. My biggest problem with valve amplifiers are their tendency to become microphonic. I realize that solid state can be just as bad but hell, it all really matters around the sound. Some great solid state amps I've played are mostly Crates. Best valve amps for the money are out there, just gotta keep searching. If you play mostly metal, I'd check out the Laney, and the Marshalls and also the Randall G3 series. Don't bash it too much! But yes, valve gets to be the leader in classic and overall better quality tone. Valve is not superior to ss. SS is not superior to valve.
When will DiMarzio make active pickups?
well where does Modelling stand, such as PODxtLives, Gt-8 type stuff etc, does that fall in the SS subject or is that just another element in the fold etc. Modelling compared to regular SS i can push a PODxtLive at very high volume if plugged into an Amp such as something that is FFR such as a Roland KC550. i use two Roland KC550s each are 180watts, and i can crank them to extreme volume without the amp model starting to sound brittle. but i have one of the first B-52 SS amps and it doesnt take long for the sound to get really thin and brittle.

dont get me wrong, i love the sound of a cranked tube amp, but often i find it more annoying to deal with. at gigs its easier to haul around FFR amps with a PODxtLive or just run it directly into a house PA.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
it seems easy enough to me to carry my tube head in one hand, and my 2x12 cab in another hand, plug it in, and go, rather then worry about possible PA problems and the sound guy not knowing how to EQ.

plus its just a fact, modeling is the cheap way out. i know for me, if i saw a live band playing with PA's and PODs i wouldnt have too much respect for them or i would doubt they know what they are doing. same as if i saw someone with an MG. if your serious about your band and you playing, have a nice amp is miles better then using a PA and POD. it seems harsh, but have you ever seen or heard any major, or relatively big band play live with that kind of stuff? theres a reason.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Pagan_Jack
Transistor technology has improved to the point that professional muscians can just as easily get a good sound from any solid state as a valve.

No way.

There are some seriously high end SS amps out there that can give you a quality tube dynamic sound, but "any solid state?" I don't think so. And, frankly, I really don't get the point of spending all that extra money for a SS amp that's trying to sound like a tube amp, anyway.

Quote by TimbreWolf
well where does Modelling stand, such as PODxtLives, Gt-8 type stuff etc, does that fall in the SS subject or is that just another element in the fold etc. Modelling compared to regular SS i can push a PODxtLive at very high volume if plugged into an Amp such as something that is FFR such as a Roland KC550. i use two Roland KC550s each are 180watts, and i can crank them to extreme volume without the amp model starting to sound brittle. but i have one of the first B-52 SS amps and it doesnt take long for the sound to get really thin and brittle.

dont get me wrong, i love the sound of a cranked tube amp, but often i find it more annoying to deal with. at gigs its easier to haul around FFR amps with a PODxtLive or just run it directly into a house PA.

What kind of music are you playing?

Either way, I'm glad you like it. It definitely wouldn't be for me, though.

A 30W tube combo -mic'd up if needed- is the no hassle, inexpensive, high quality gigging rig answer for me.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I love valve amps and you can definitely tell they sound better, but I get some perfectly good sounds out of SS and hybrid amps. People need to realise tubes aren't the be all and end all. I'm sick of seeing people recommending valve jrs and laney 30 watters for people who want to play metal in their student dorm room. It's getting ridiculous.

SS amps have their place. And that place pops up more than most people on UG think.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
? why the **** do you have to say "well i think you should get a tube amp" if his OG ? was something completely diffirent just answear the ? and thats it dont go of topic
Quote by timi_hendrix
I love valve amps and you can definitely tell they sound better, but I get some perfectly good sounds out of SS and hybrid amps. People need to realise tubes aren't the be all and end all. I'm sick of seeing people recommending valve jrs and laney 30 watters for people who want to play metal in their student dorm room. It's getting ridiculous.

SS amps have their place. And that place pops up more than most people on UG think.

+1
Exactly. Sure, tube amps are really good. GREAT tone and everything else everybody's said...I totally agree. However, I have never been able to get MY kind of tone out of a tube amp...maybe its because I havn't tried hard enough, or never tried a really good one. The only few I've tried are a few Mesa combos...other then that I've tried many valvestates. I have yet to find the kind of sound I want out of a tube amp....kinda sounds like Dimebag Darrell lol....
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
^ mesa's are pretty hard to EQ and get a sound you like, and the valvestates arent close to being a true tube amp, so thats probably why
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
^ mesa's are pretty hard to EQ and get a sound you like, and the valvestates arent close to being a true tube amp, so thats probably why

I think so too...I havn't tried any good Peavey combos...I heard they are AMAZING and they probably are...just that I've never been able to get a ride to the store :P
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
there aint a thing wrong w/ modeling amps....not a thing. for those who can't afford to go out and buy every effect/amp type, it holds them off while giving them the opportunity to try out the basics of the effects....maybe gearing them towards or away from a possible future purchase of a quality effect pedal or amp.

it's only fair that every dedicated guitar player gets to play around w/ every sound they desire....why limit what the (less-income) people get to experience?

thats what its all about, VALUE.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Page 1 of 2