I was placing an order to Germany and I thought I could as well get some tubes. I've got a hybrid/modelling amp ADVT 50W VOx so is it even worth it upgrading the tubes since it's "a full tube amp"?

Could you recommend me some of these tubes or is it just a money-waster to get one? I play mainly alternative rock so I'm looking for punk rock sound with classic rock vibes. I'm really not into metallish gain, a moderate crunch and overdriven solos are what make me tick. I appreciate glassy cleans more than anything, but it's ok to have some rough edges on the tone.

Sorry for being such a lameass and not deciding on my own but since I can't test these before buying I decided to ask from someone of greater wisdom. lol korn or smth ?

(PS. this is not a quest for upgrading my amp I was just thinking that it would be nice to try something different since I'm buying stuff anyways...)

so yeah, thanks in advance
it would definitely be worth it ! (it's only one tube anyway, it's not a full tube amp)
i heard changing the tube does wonders for the tone.
take a look at the tubes thread for info on a lot of tubes.
i heard someone replaced the stock tube with a mesa boogie tube, and that the result was amazing ! the thread was called 'all valvetronix users should read this !' or something. check it out.

i'd consider getting a new speaker too if you're planning on keeping the amp for a long time, apparently it does wonders for the tone too (even more than a new tube).
Last edited by The red Strat. at Dec 10, 2007,
I'd recommend a JJ Telsa 12ax7 and a new speaker.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
I think Mesa/Boogie Tubes are just rebranded Sovteks.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I think Mesa/Boogie Tubes are just rebranded Sovteks.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they are.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
JJ/Tesla 12AX7s seem too dark. their EL84s are realy nice, but not the 12AX7s. my choice is TungSol 12AX7, they have 10% more gain than other production tubes (excluding JJ high-gains), and have a bit more clarity/definition.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
JJ/Tesla 12AX7s seem too dark. my choice is TungSol 12AX7, they have 10% more gain than other production tubes (excluding JJ high-gains), and have a bit more clarity/definition.
Nicely quoted from Roc there

JJs ain't that dark. They're just very high gain, making them real warm. I want to try some in my Laney, actually. They're not as balanced as Tung-Sols but even gainier.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ECistheBest
JJ/Tesla 12AX7s seem too dark. their EL84s are realy nice, but not the 12AX7s. my choice is TungSol 12AX7, they have 10% more gain than other production tubes (excluding JJ high-gains), and have a bit more clarity/definition.

Well I prefer a darker tone so that's why I suggested the JJ's. It's all about personal preference really.

Quote by TMVolta19
Quote by MrCarrot
Nicely quoted from Roc there

JJs ain't that dark. They're just very high gain, making them real warm. I want to try some in my Laney, actually. They're not as balanced as Tung-Sols but even gainier.

only the high-gain ones are higher gain than the TungSols. they're 10% higher gain than other production tubes in his knowledge except for the JJ High gains. it's a quote from Roc8912357286 so it has to be correct.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
only the high-gain ones are higher gain than the TungSols. they're 10% higher gain than other production tubes in his knowledge except for the JJ High gains. it's a quote from Roc8912357286 so it has to be correct.

JJ don't make a specifically high gain one: http://www.jj-electronic.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=10
Pfft, that's stupidly false advertising. The ECC803 is lower gain than the normal one, alot more vintagely voiced and it gets even more microphonic because of the really long plates...
Pfft, i don't know what you're talking about.

dunno. i like teh tungsols. my amp is really dark so i want bright sounding tubez.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
Pfft, i don't know what you're talking about.

dunno. i like teh tungsols. my amp is really dark so i want bright sounding tubez.
haha, fine, be that way

A Blues Junior is dark now? Ehhh the whole world's upside down tonight
^my speaker is. it's tweed twin voicing has warm high end and real punchy. but not fart'y like a bassman.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ahhh fair enough. Speakers really do have a huge effect on tone. I tried my VC30 and VJ through my old AC30's speakers, and they're HORRIBLE. Really boxy, thin, trebly, no low end, nasal, HORRIBLE. My VJ's 8" was like 3 times warmer...
haha dunno bout that. ur AC30 speakers probably been through lots of moisture.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
haha dunno bout that. ur AC30 speakers probably been through lots of moisture.
Yeah, afaik they're not originals. They're definitely not Celestions, not Alnico, Not G12s, and have a weird chassis shape. real aggressive like. Celestion tell me they look like Goodmans car speakers or something... I don't think they're original. They sound completely horrible.
I have both Tung Sol and JJ 12AX7/ECC83 tubes in my amp and I can say that I don't really like the JJ all that much. JJs are good tubes, but they aren't the holy grail like they're treated around here. And not all Mesa/Boogie tubes are rebranded Sovteks. They rebrand from several different companies.

Boogie tube descriptions: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/TubeReference/TubeRefGuide-06.pdf
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 10, 2007,
^JJ EL84s are the holy grail of EL84s IMO.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard