Hey, I'm going to get a banjo for christmas, but was wondering which type i should go for: 4, 5, or 6 string. I'm already a fairly good guitarist, and so i wouldn't have any trouble adapting and playing a 6 string, though I know 4 and 5 strings are favoured. Was just wondering if anyone here played the banjo or knew much about them so they could help me out.
Thanks.
I'd go for a 5 string; a 6 string banjo just feels like an awkward guitar. I've not played a 4 string so I can't comment on them
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Get a 5-string. It's best for getting the "authentic" banjo sound. It's quite easy to learn, and if you're used to playing guitar, it's not too hard to adapt, especially if you're a decent fingerpicker. It's hella fun, I can tell you that!
Thanks guys, I've been doing some research and I think I may be going for the 5 or 6 string. Apparently the 4 string can be played with a plectrum which may be easier for me, can the 5 string be played with a plectrum too? Just wondering as I'd probably find it easier to pick up. Also, does anyone have any opinions on Ozark or Tanglewood banjos as they're the 2 brands that keep coming up when I search.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.
you can play all of them with a pick, but it'd cost you a lot of extra effort, while you can save yourself the trouble by fingerpicking, which also helps gettin that authentic banjo sound.. but it's your choice..

i'd go for the 5 too btw, but it's also the only kind i've ever played..

it's lots of fun whichever one you get, so have fun
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
4 string banjos are more for irish tunes, and 5 strings are for bluegrass music and usually played with finger and thumb picks
POST FINDER
Don't go for a 6 string.

You can play any banjo with a pick, but it's just not the same. If you're going to buy a banjo at least play it like a banjo should be played.

Also, check out my band in my sig, the banjo in those songs is a 5 string

Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Cigar,
Get a 5 string... also, remember the old saying with banjos... They take five years to learn, plus five years to play, plus five years to master.
Dish
thanks a lot for your help guys, I really appreciate it.
I've ordered a 5 string washburn, and yes I've decided I'm going to learn it properly, no picks, etc. Thanks a bunch!
You're gonna have a lot of fun, man.

By the way, I was thinking about making some banjo tabs, does anyone know if they'd be accepted onto U-G? I know I should probably ask in the tabs forum, but I'm asking here, since this is a thread about banjos, and I'm more likely to get a sensible answer here than in the tabs forum.
Quote by Cigaro
does anyone have any opinions on Ozark or Tanglewood banjos as they're the 2 brands that keep coming up when I search.

I've got an Ozark RB3, a 5-string bluegrass banjo. It's a lovely instrument.

Quote by kyrreca
By the way, I was thinking about making some banjo tabs, does anyone know if they'd be accepted onto U-G?

You can try putting them in. If they get rejected send them to Banjo Hangout. They'll take them.