Hey,

This Christmas, I'm looking to get a top of the range graphics card for gaming. I'd love to be able to run stuff like Crysis on FULL spec. My specs are:-

Dual 3.0 Ghz
2GB RAM
7900 GS nVidia

My graphics card is completely screwed though, I think it's overheated. But anyway, what are some good graphics cards to buy for around £200 ($400)?

Thanks
nvidia are pretty good.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Yeah, everyone's raving about the 8800's. I'd advise that.

Saying that, I have an 8600GT (256mb) and I'm running Crysis on High (Not Highest) and it only lags when there's a big object in the window, usually in a cutscene like with a plane or such.

Still, I guess my quad core handles the physics processing so the card's not doing much. Meh.

You should consider, if you're going to be playing lots of games, SLI.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Quote by Eccer
Get two nvidia 8800 gt SLI

QF-freaking-T
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it coming

One more question - do I NEED Vista to use the new directx?
There's nothing wrong with Vista. Ignore the bull****.. people just slag it off without that much thought. It's trendy to hate Microsoft, remember.
Quote by NemesisX
There's nothing wrong with Vista. Ignore the bull****.. people just slag it off without that much thought. It's trendy to hate Microsoft, remember.

Agreed, to a point.

Whilst it's true that there are problems with Vista, it's very much a jump on the bandwagon thing. XP was bashed no end when it first came out, now people can't bear to leave it.
DON'T listen to people on Vista. A lot of people hate it, a lot don't. Go into a store and mess around with it for yourself.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by SaXXoN
Agreed, to a point.

Whilst it's true that there are problems with Vista, it's very much a jump on the bandwagon thing. XP was bashed no end when it first came out, now people can't bear to leave it.

well i can see why when the only option they have is Vista, that's laced with bugs apparently
Is there anyway at all to get the card to run DirectX10 without Vista??
dude, there is no way that your computer can run crysis on FULL specs. The computer that runs Crysis on the highest everything hasn't even been invented yet.

Well maybe at the NASA headquarters but I don't think they use that computer to play games.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by CrackAddict2000
dude, there is no way that your computer can run crysis on FULL specs. The computer that runs Crysis on the highest everything hasn't even been invented yet.

Well maybe at the NASA headquarters but I don't think they use that computer to play games.

... i bet a quad SLI could
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by CrackAddict2000

Err, what? I have all the graphical settings set to 'High' and I don't get lag. Don't be so ridiculous.

As to Vista, no, I'm pretty confident you can't force a card to use it in XP. Almost positive. Vista is too expensive, aye, but hey. It's certainly not full of bugs and constantly crashing and crap like people make out. Or if it is, they're too inept to use a computer. That's my 10 cents.
Quote by CrackAddict2000

I bet the supercomputer used to simulate the death of a star could...

But to the TS, unless things have drastically changed in the past months, running in SLI gives you only around 10 fps higher than the single card would, so unless you really want to max out crysis, it's not worth it.

Does Crysis support the physics cards? You might want to look into that.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Dec 10, 2007,