A few questions-
1. what are they
2. what do they do?
3. how much do they cost
4. where could I get them
5. what are some of the best ones?
1. Effects for bass, duh.
2. The same thing effects for guitar do.
3. Depends on where you get it and what brand.
4. eBay, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend.
5. Boss
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Questions 1 and two are really the same so I'll combine them in my answer:

1. Effects are pedals (just such as guitars) that modify the frequencies and distort them into various models, example being a wah pedal making the frequency wavy, or a distortion which compresses the frequency.
3. They range in prices, depending on locations, effect type, etc. Anywhere from usually 50-250, the more expensive, the better.
4. Music stores, pawn shops- you can also buy guitar effects (try em first) for other purposes on your bass, different tone.
5. Pedals made by Boss, Dunlop, Digitech are generally decent but don't rule anything else out, try all models first. Overdrives, wahs, distortion, comressors, delay pedals, etc. are my favs.

Of course, a general rule is shop around everywhere, try everything. The difference in bass and guitar pedals is the type of frequencys they carry, guitar effects generally don't hold bass "waves" as well because it scopes out for higher frequencies, instead of low bass tones.

Hope that helped.
If you don't know what effects are and what they do then you don't need them at the moment.
yes it did, a lot.
1 more question.
my friend who had guitar lessons said that his amp* let him make his guitar sound like a bass.
If this is true can it do the opposite? ( make a bass sound like a guitar)

*or petal
Quote by HYPR
yes it did, a lot.
1 more question.
my friend who had guitar lessons said that his amp* let him make his guitar sound like a bass.

*or petal

The only thing it does it drop guitar frequencies down an octave. They are generaly fairly poor.

For bass, just play above the 12th fret to be in guitar teritory for pitch. Most guitarists also use distorion, so a good distortion pedal could also be useful. However, why would you want to make one sound like the other?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by HYPR
yes it did, a lot.
1 more question.

*or petal
You mean octave pedals. Listen to White Stripes - Seven Nation Army for a use of it, what you might think is a bass (unless you actually know what instruments the White Stripes use) is actually a guitar on an octave pedal. I don't know how it sounds the other way though.
The most common effects seen around on bass are distortion, wah, envelope filter and chorus, though many use more unusual effects llike synth and flange.

They essential are used to create sounds that no technique can naturally produce.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Wratheh
You mean octave pedals. Listen to White Stripes - Seven Nation Army for a use of it, what you might think is a bass (unless you actually know what instruments the White Stripes use) is actually a guitar on an octave pedal. I don't know how it sounds the other way though.

It's recorded on a bass, played live with the octave pedal.
pedals change the bass sound
most common for bass are chorus, delay, flanger, and fuzz

look into Boss pedals

try out...
Boss DD6 (delay)
Boss BF3 (flanger)
Boss CE5 (chorus)
for fuzz go for a Fulltone Bass Driver

if you dont know what they are listen to some Tool, Justin is an effects *****
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
if u want cheap, then go for the behringer, they maybe made out of plastic but they take a beating
Quote by ashlew
if u want cheap, then go for the behringer, they maybe made out of plastic but they take a beating

They also sound like ass.
Quote by smb
If you don't know what effects are and what they do then you don't need them at the moment.

+1, also, if you're calling it a "petal" you should probably wait.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by 14shadesofblue

for fuzz go for a Fulltone Bass Driver

Heresy!!!

The Fulltone is an ovedrive pedal that can just about do distortion. Not a fuzz at all.

And the best thing for experimenting is a multi effects pedal, not a load of cheap pedals. Multi effects contain more effects than a similar amount of cheap pedals, and often sound much better.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Zycho
It's recorded on a bass, played live with the octave pedal.

Quote by Wikipedia
Although it sounds like a bass guitar (an instrument the group had famously never previously used), the sound is actually created by running Jack White's semi-acoustic guitar (a 1950s style Kay Hollowbody) through a whammy pedal set down an octave.

*sigh*
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by gm jack
Heresy!!!

The Fulltone is an ovedrive pedal that can just about do distortion. Not a fuzz at all.

they all sound the same to me
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
they all sound the same to me

Well why are you offering your advice if you admit to not being able to tell the difference?
Quote by smb

Quote by smb
Well why are you offering your advice if you admit to not being able to tell the difference?

My, your being very constructive

Anyways, has anyone used a Boss ODB3 (Overdrive) or Boss BF3 (Flange) pedal? if so are they worth getting?
i was after the overdrive pedal a while back but i could only find the OD3 (guitar version) and this guy told me they're pretty much the same but i wasn't sure.
If the guy said they're pretty much the same, he's pretty much a ****ing idiot.

I asked a guy in a store for a bass distortion and he handed me a Boss DS-1 - I played three notes and left the store.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Ki'
Can anyone recommend a reliable compressor pedal?

BBE MaxCom.

Compressor, limiter, Sonic Maximiser and noise gate in one. Put in your effects loop for meaty goodness.

And the OD3 and ODB3 are very different, primarily in the frequency areas they are built to handle. Very few guitar distortions sound half decent on the bass, and none sound better than a good bass distortion (I don't care about the 'i leik it lulz'. Removing my bass frequencies is a crime).

However, the ODB-3 isn't great. It's like bad digital effects. At the start they are great fun to play with, but you slowly realise the limitations. Namely, impossible to get a great sound out of it.

The ODB-3 has some sounds that are ok, and will fill in as an emergancy replacement for any kind of distorion, but on it's own, you begin to hate it as you can never get that perfect tone from t.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Thanks for the heads up gm_jack,

To be honest i first wanted one back when i was realy into Flea and i found out he used one, kinda sad realy, but now i genuinly want a decent distortion pedal, anybody recomend one?
Quote by seanms
My, your being very constructive

You're right - I should jump on the bandwagon and advise the guy to buy a load of stuff he doesn't need and doesn't understand. Maybe I could recommend pedals without really knowing anything about them like some people here do.

The fact is effects really aren't necessary on bass, and for the average n00b bassist they will just slow their learning of bass skills because they'll spend more time twiddling knobs to get gimmicky sounds like making their bass sound like a guitar or whatever than learning modes, scales or techniques. I really think that if you don't have a specific sound in mind then you don't need single effects pedals. If you really want to scratch that itch early on in your bass playing life, buy a second hand crappy Zoom or Boss multi and see where you go from there.

Of course, I can suggest Morley wahs, Fulltone for distortion, Keeley compressor, Toadworks Enveloope and Fulltone ChoralFlange if it'll stop the idiots complaining at me.
Quote by smb

Of course, I can suggest Morley wahs, Fulltone for distortion, Keeley compressor, Toadworks Enveloope and Fulltone ChoralFlange if it'll stop the idiots complaining at me.

I'd have to give the EHX Q-tron the envelope filter award over the Toadworks. The do sound pretty different though, so it might be a matter of taste.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I'd have to give the EHX Q-tron the envelope filter award over the Toadworks. The do sound pretty different though, so it might be a matter of taste.

*bashes head against wall*

They do entirely different things! One is a standard envelope filter, the other is a dynamic effects loop. It's this combination of outspoken opinion and ignorance that make it so difficult to get decent advice on here.
Quote by smb
*bashes head against wall*

They do entirely different things! One is a standard envelope filter, the other is a dynamic effects loop. It's this combination of outspoken opinion and ignorance that make it so difficult to get decent advice on here.

Meh. I heard it was a envelope filter on the site I got the sound clips off. I though it sounded really quite strange for an envelope filter The guy had to play through distortion and wah with it didn't he (I found the page again and saw he was putting in the whole signal chain)

I assumed that was something like the Q-tron plus effects loop, which puts the effects on between the different stages of the envelope follower and the filter.

So I do appologise.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1