Last edited by Reiver_Demon at Dec 10, 2007,
Sorry, but this is obvious

One has strings made of steel, and one has strings made of nylon

in my opinion, steel sound better
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
the steel strings are more like treble-y or something like that... the kinda ring more or something... i would personally buy a steel string guitar...
Steel string acoustics are mostly for folk, country, rock, blues, and possibly a few other ganres. Nylon string guitars are often called "classical guitars" and are best for Classical music or spanish flamenco-style music.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Saga LP Copy
- Godin Seagull Acoustic
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender G-Dec
- Jim Dunlop Crybaby
- Guitar Rig 2
The tuners on Steel string guitars are more like electric tuners. Nylon string guitars have the lower 3 strings made out of nylon, so theyre easier on the fingers. But i would get a steel string guitar, as most of the time they are made better and have a more common sound in rock and pretty much any other kind of music.
In my opinion nylon strings ring way more than steel strings. While steel has much more treble, nylon strings has that kind of "soul" that gives it way more fullness. It's also more comfortable for your fingers to touch.
But, it's damn hard to bend nylon strings, and that's basically why I prefer steel strings over nylon.
The nylon strings are made of nylon, have a more dulled, "classical" sound. These types of guitars (called classical, usually) are usually used for spanish flamenco music, or classical music. I wouldn't reccomend it if you play lots of rock and folk and all that, and obviously you don't play classical music, or you almost definately would have heard of classical guitars before. Steel strings are just... steel strings. The type you find on folk shaped, dreadnaught shaped, and things like that. Although.

I'm sorry, but it's kind of a dumb question.
Quote by qotsa1998
Nylon string guitars have the lower 3 strings made out of nylon, so theyre easier on the fingers.

Yes.

Quote by qotsa1998

But i would get a steel string guitar, as most of the time they are made better

WHAT??!! That's like saying, buy a trumpet instead of a trombone, they're usually made better. That is one of the most misinformed things I have read on any forum in a long time. "Gee, son... don't get that one... it has the cheap plastic strings."

Go ahead.... tell Segovia or John Williams that their guitars probably aren't as good as your steel string guitar. Argh! Even mine is hand-made in Madrid, and at a value of $2000 is of considerably higher quality than ANY acoustic or electric guitar I have ever played. And they go up from there! My instructor's guitar was worth about $12000!

Different tools for different jobs. I wouldn't play CCR on a classical guitar, and I wouldn't play Austurias, or Mozart's theme and variations on a steel string guitar.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.