Hey everyone, i'm on the verge of going to GC this week and buying myself an MIM Fat Strat. I'm thinking into the future, and what mods I can do to improve it.

Here's what I was thinking so far...

- Black pickguard (black body)
- Replacement pickups (at least the bridge and neck)
- Black knobs
- Locking tuners
- S-1 switch
- Coil taps
- Killswitch

I've never worked with this type of stuff so I have a few questions.

1) Are locking tuners worth it? I see them for like $70!
2) Can I put in an S-1 switch? It's the kind of switch in the deluxe players strats, that activates the bridge pickup at any time.
3) Coil taps. I plan on having a humbucker in the bridge and neck, can I do a coil tap for both the bridge and neck?

I'm hoping I can do all of this. The mix of coil taps and an S-1 switch sounds pretty sweet.
1. if you have spare bread
2.yes, make sure you have tools though
3.same as above.
Gear
American Fender Stratocaster (SCN pups)
Gibson Les Paul: Custom
Samson Q6 Mic
Balls
your gonna have to route the body to get a neck humbucker. i looked under the guard of my strat and if i remember correctly it's only big enough for a single coil
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by TJM2482
1) Are locking tuners worth it? I see them for like $70!
meh, depends if you're a maniac with your trem. A good, slippery nut is enough for most people. ... and locking tuners can't make up for a nut with too much friction. Address that, first.

Quote by TJM2482
2) Can I put in an S-1 switch? It's the kind of switch in the deluxe players strats, that activates the bridge pickup at any time.
Yes, if you can find one, if you're willing to pay the money, if you have wiring skills. You will ALSO need to change the stock Fender 5-way to a superswitch.

Quote by TJM2482
3) Coil taps. I plan on having a humbucker in the bridge and neck, can I do a coil tap for both the bridge and neck?
Split coil for the bridge pickup is standard on a Fat Strat, in the B + M position.

Fat Strat = 2 SCs and a HB at the bridge. What are you going to split at the neck?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I'm putting a humbucker in the bridge, whether i'll just settle for a stacked bucker or have it routed for a neck humbucker is yet to be decided.
Ok, the S-1 switching system is whats used in American Series Strats. It changes the pickups from Parallel wiring to series to get a humbuckigntype sound. What your talking about in the Deluxe Players Strat is just a simple bridge on switch, verysimple to do.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
Most strats usually have HSH or universal routing under the pickguard.