Some of you may have seen my earlier post - looking for a college amp (which would be the DA5 or Microcube). Someone mentioned the toneports - and after looking into them more I am very intrigued, as I do have a AD30 sitting at home anyways.

My situation
- Fender HSS Standard Strat
- Music, Clapton/RHCP, some GnR and "acoustic", mostly along those lines
- Have Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers hooked up to my computer

Questions - would the the toneport work well in this situation? I'm thinking that with real speakers, considering the amps I'm looking at are digital anyways, I could get much better sound out of the toneport?

Am I correct in believing the guitar is hooked into the toneport, which functions as a kind of sound card, goes into the computer, where it is effectively processed, and then will be played out of the speakers?

Finally - any reason, if I'm not recording, to get the UX1 (UX2 out of budget) as opposed to just the GX?
Yes, that would work.
The sound comes from the TonePort, so you'll have to plug your speakers into that, not your computer. The UX1 has a microphone input, but other than that, I don't think there's much difference.
If your speakers have a hub or something of that sort you can plug it in digitally, works great for mine. I use the S/PDIF Digital Out to run the sound from the computer + the guitar sound in one on my speakers. I use Logitech Speakers also if it helps ya. Also for this thing just being a little kinda cheap "mini amp" it works great, pretty good tone from it.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

How would the quality of the tone (really what I'm most concerned about) stack up to the MicroCube/DA5?
Quote by the_dong146
How would the quality of the tone (really what I'm most concerned about) stack up to the MicroCube/DA5?

It's better mostly because you can tweak the hell out of pretty much everything.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You could just use it with a nice pair of head phones. I use the ux2 to practice at night to not wake anyone up. Also, pair it up with audacity and you can start recording very easily. It has abosultly no delay when recording or reproducing. not the best sound quality but with all the effect you can find atleast 2 or 3 you like to use.