I'm putting a little outfit (not going to call it a band just yet) with a drummer a bassist and me on vocals and lead gee-tar. I only play acoustics because i'm in love with acoustic music but my friends are pressuring me to buy an electric...is there no room in todays rock for an acoustic lead? must i have distortion and downtuned strings and scream at the crowd as if i were the cookie monster?
No way! Even guys like Mastodon use acoustic leads occasionally (to great effect), and their music is fairly heavy.
It's not about what everyone else does.
I actually applaud you for wanting an acoustic lead.
There's a place where a depth charge ignites.
Quote by bountykilla
No way! Even guys like Mastodon use acoustic leads occasionally (to great effect), and their music is fairly heavy.

Yes every once in a while an acoustic guitar will fit with a hard rock or metal band, but it would just be more practical for you to just buy an electric. You could always pull out the acoustic if you wanted to.
Id buy an electric if i were u. Since ur gonna be the only guitar player in the band, u should have as many sounds available to u as possible. Its hard to distort an acoustic live, since they project so much. And with the right settings, u can get cleans that sound like an acoustic or even better than an acoustic.

EDIT: Sleeping Giant is an awesome song, especially with the acoustic in the intro. U should listen to it.
Thanx guys for both the applause and the advice, all will come in handy ( :
<
do you want a band like GN'R with every once in a while acoustic song, Metallica like with acoustic arpeggios and nice distorted solos or like Goo Goo Dolls or Oasis all acoustic rythm song band?

thats the main q&a
well more oasis-ish then Metallica or Guns
the stuff we have is very bassy (not unlike Nirvana (not comparing just mentioning))
which has given some of the stuff we've come up with a kind of blunt edge and a little added heaviness. i like it as is but, well yeah.
Staind
Shinedown
Stone Sour
Nickelback (as much as I dislike em)
Opeth
Mastadon (as noted above)

All of em are fairly hard depending, very popular, and all make use of the acoustic for their leads in a lot of their most popular songs.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I'd say that if you think everyone is playing electric and yelling, then that's exactly what you SHOULDN'T do. Why be another generic band that sounds like your version of 30 other bands? Do your own thing, but do it well.

For a reference, Days of the New and Alice in Chains have done lots of acoustic stuff that was by no means super-mellow coffee shop/ poetry reading music. You can rock out and jam on any instrument. Acoustic guitar is no different. Do your own thing...
Against Me! for example uses only acoustic (at least in their earlier stuff) and it sounds great.

It's hard to think of any other bands that have a single guitarist that plays acoustic. But hey, why the hell not? Just go for it
Or you could get pickups and say "GTFO it's electric now HAR! "
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play