I really want to get rid of my crappy Marshall MG for a JCM 800 half stack. I know how they sound (amazing), so please don't give me suggestions on other amps I should look into.

Now I know the JCM 800 reissue is $2,000 new, and a used JCM 800 2203 is around $1,000. Now, as far as reliability goes, would it be OK to buy a used JCM 800 from the 80s? And if I don't, I've heard that the JCM 800 reissues aren't built as well as the old ones.

Suggestions or input from owners of this amp would be great! Thanks!
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Cool, for sure
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
used... and you can actually get the heads used for around 600 if you look on ebay
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
used is cheaper, but you have the chance of getting a dud, marshall popped out some duds in the 80s and almost all of them had very different tonal characteristics and harmonic responses, and you also have the chance of getting one thats been run down and up and needs alot of work, if your going to buy used make sure you try the amp out preferbly from a store that will offer a warranty, the new ones arent bad, also id look into a vintage modern if thats the tone your seeking they replicate the the pushed 800 sound really well
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
used is cheaper, but you have the chance of getting a dud, marshall popped out some duds in the 80s and almost all of them had very different tonal characteristics and harmonic responses, and you also have the chance of getting one thats been run down and up and needs alot of work, if your going to buy used make sure you try the amp out preferbly from a store that will offer a warranty, the new ones arent bad, also id look into a vintage modern if thats the tone your seeking they replicate the the pushed 800 sound really well

the overwhelming majority are not "duds" though. If they are, it's most likely due to owner misuse.
Used. New Marshall stuff is built like ****...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by Goin' Mobile
I really want to get rid of my crappy Marshall MG for a JCM 800 half stack. I know how they sound (amazing), so please don't give me suggestions on other amps I should look into.

Now I know the JCM 800 reissue is $2,000 new, and a used JCM 800 2203 is around $1,000. Now, as far as reliability goes, would it be OK to buy a used JCM 800 from the 80s? And if I don't, I've heard that the JCM 800 reissues aren't built as well as the old ones.

Suggestions or input from owners of this amp would be great! Thanks!

Used is typically much better. The only issue you have is if it is really beat. For the most part, an 80's built JCM is going to be better quality.