Hey there, I'm a bass player and have not been keeping up on guitar lately, so I'm a bit in the dark about which one I should get.

I'm looking for a better than decent starter guitar. I'm not looking for a $100 cheapo that will end up making me hate playing the instrument, nor am I looking to drop over $375-400.

Here is what I've come up with:

(I've heard good things about Yamaha, and I do like the look of this. Reviews have been great too!)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG720S-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519168

(I love the look of this!)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Artist-Series-AF60S-Grand-Concert-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518736

Talk of these and other suggestions greatly appreciated! I hope this is the right forum for this post, if not I apologize. Thanks!
Sorry to bump but I'd also be open accoustic/electric, but I heard they do not perform as well as a natural bred accoustic or electric guitar. If you know of any good models that do sound great please post those too.

I'm open to pretty much anything right now!
alvarez are nice guitars, but as with everything I buy, I'd suggest you get a nice used one. I found my breedlove for 430 shipped on ebay and it was worth every penny. also an a/elec

another good company to look at is blueridge. not very well known, but thats probly a good thing. they make essentially martins for the poor man. i've heard them side by side in comparisons and I swear to you I couldnt tell between guitars more than 2000 dollars apart in price.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Untrue about the acoustic/electric combo. In most case, its just a normal acoustic guitar, with a preamp and an output jack. The sound is identical. For a midrange budget acoustic, I would definitely recommend the washburns. They play like much more expensive guitars than they are, meaning the action is good, hardware is solid, and overall feel is well above anything else in the range. Yamaha isn't bad either, if you are stuck between these two, that would be my preference.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
mine sounds very good plugged in to me btw
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
I'm mainly buying this guitar for a college class that is a semester long. The guitar needs to be accoustic, and I will use this as a way to see if I'm still interested.

I used to play when I was roughly 10 or 11 but I didn't have the dedication to actually practice (I wanted to play video games).

Do you guys have some more suggestions? What do you think of the first two I offered for choice? Any brand in particular that is known for not skimping on quality for lower-end models?

More straight accoustics would be nice.
if i were you, i would seriously consider the Art & Lutherie Cedar or Spruce. The Q1 electronics are excellent for the price you pay. it also sounds very clear through an amp. I have one myself, and am very satisfied with it. the action is decent. it's not as low as i would like it, but it's still quite easy to play. the sound is shockingly amazing for the price. my one and only complaint is that it has a matte finish, and not a gloss. but that's a small price to pay for the sound.